1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland AFC v West Bromwich Albion – Saturday 9th December 2023 - KO 12:30

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Dec 6, 2023.

?

Your Prediction:

Poll closed Dec 9, 2023.
  1. Home win

60.7%
  2. Away win

23.0%
  3. Draw

16.4%
  1. vic9

vic9 Well-Known Member

You weren’t sitting in front of me today by any chance,that’s what I was saying to my son all first half
    To be fair he improved second half

2. J Flash

J Flash Well-Known Member

Screams absolute quality when someone does something like that. One of my players of the season so far, people forget he’s only 22

DH4, Young Ted, Oliver's Army and 3 others like this.
  3. Random lad

Random lad Well-Known Member

Sorry to be a whinge, but still trying to cone to terms with that bad mistske from the liner
    In real time it did not look offside, what the **** was going through his head to put his flag up ?
    Will it get swept under the carpet, or will we get another apology ( which is better than nowt. At least it vindicates what we think )

4. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

A good win against a good team
    I like these games

5. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

There is no excuse for a linesman to get that wrong, wasn't even close!

6. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Correct

Random lad likes this.
  7. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

8. ISOE II

ISOE II Well-Known Member

Should’ be t-shirts with you’ve just met the Trai-n!

9. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Lot of empty seats today. Reckon the weather put some people off?

10. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

When you see it, it's an absolute shocker. He wasn't even running back either, he was more or less right there. It wasn't a bit of leg or a head involved, it was nearly a yard. . As bad as you'll see. The bloke wasn't doing his job and that's it, he took the easy option

11. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Near Xmas. Cold. Soaking. On Sky. Always going to take a few away that.

12. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Clearly visible 6 foot 5 defender wearing neon green right in front of the lino and Jobe standing almost a metre to his left. Possibly the worst offside decision I've seen.

13. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

Brilliant header by Ballard. Did really well to stoop and keep the header under the bar.

14. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

I know it's only one game, but, imo, it shows the club don't need to bring in a well known manager or someone who is experienced in this league specifically.

When the club relies as one person (the manager) to select and coach the team, drive/lead the recruitment, and implement their own style of football then that one person needs to know the league, be technically good at coaching, know how to pick players to recruit and, well, do everything.

I may be proved wrong, however with the football side of the club being supported/driven in the same direction, from Speakman (and kld above him) down to the u18 coach (and below probably), in terms of style of football the club want to implement and players we want to recruit, then I think the importance of having a single person who is experienced in everything is not as great. Gone are the days of the owner being surrounded by con artists who don't have a clue, and a hapless manager, or owners who stripped everything out of the club including it's identity.

As long as we have a head coach who is technically good at coaching, good at man management and match day tactics, and want to work within the style of football laid out by the club and with with the players then I think we'll be good.

It won't be perfect, they'll be mistakes and wrong decisions but I'm confident.

Maybe I've got safc tinted glasses on, maybe I'm too optimistic but just maybe we have a club with a long term vision and actually have a plan on what they want to implement it.

Oau

15. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Work stopped me and my boy. Although he can now drive himself (passed his test a couple of weeks ago and we bought him a car). He won’t go on his own though

16. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Onions was responsible for Ballard's goal, mind, being as he was on the pitch at the time . . . . that's if we apply the same theory as the goal conceded when their lad got in front of Ballard, who was marking him, but Onions was on the pitch, too, so you automatically blame him.
    You must be so disappointed that Ballard's 'red card' tackle wasn't Onions . . . . you'd probably have ran out of ink, but it was Ballard so you presumably didn't notice it !

17. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Can only assume it was Roberts he was flagging, if right that was even worse than thinking Jobe was offside.
    There's no way on God's earth you could construe that Roberts was affecting play.

clockstander and Smug in Boots like this.
  18. Prehab26

Prehab26 Well-Known Member

Nah ballards tackle was really poor mate. But he has a fantastic game otherwise. Our best centre back a mile.

19. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

The best thing yesterday was the fight and enthusiasm from the players, quite a relief tbh. It's clear they're a good bunch with real team spirit so not needing an overhaul, more just a few running repairs.

The West Brom goal was a strange one imo. I doubt there much expectation the cross would bring a goal ...

... it all seemed to be in slow motion but caught everyone out, Patterson included which is rare.

20. Prehab26

Prehab26 Well-Known Member

I specifically like Prichard being the head coach on the pitch. Dishing out specific orders and whoppings when required.

vic9, Smug in Boots and Gil T Azell like this.