1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Cb, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

It's miles better than the 'printer is low on ink' debacle we had last season. I like simple and classic. No bells and whistles. It's a fecking football shirt not a Versace catwalk.

2. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Tierney, Alves, Saliba, Cellabos and Zaha seem to be the current players linked and looking like there is any real substance to the rumours. Some Brazilian winger too. Could still go either way as a decent or **** transfer window at the moment. Hope the board sorts itself out and gets some deals over the line. Can’t see us paying what’s needed for Zaha though. Typical Arsenal in terms of how we have approached the transfers. I always said the boards approach held us back more than Wenger and that seems to still be the case.

gooner4ever likes this.
  3. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Before we were linked with Zaha what did you think of him and what did you think his market value was.
    IMO I thought he was a good PL player who stood out at Palace on occasions but not all the time. But being the best Palace player isn’t a true barometer of worth as he flopped at United.
    Market value for me was £45/50m.
    The £40m Arsenal have bid is what they think he is worth less £10m to give room to negotiate, and were looking to pay £45m, and then Palace have gone £80m which is stupid.

i would rather we looked elsewhere

Citizen Kane. likes this.
  4. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I actually rated Zaha before we were linked with him, and I think there is some truth to him being one of the best players outside the top 6. Agree that £80m is just ridiculous, but it’s also because United have a 25% sell on clause. I would have thought £55m would be his true value in the current inflated market.

PINKIE and gooner4ever like this.
  5. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

Also United splashing £50m on their full back didn’t help as they have upped the price as they don’t have to sell.
    According to papers Everton are interested but ultimately it will be up to the player and his agent - if he wants out of Palace then he will go and it just depends on who bids the most to get him and if Zaha only wants us or just out

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I think we'll get him. Possibly not this summer but maybe in January. I think this window will be a tug of war between Arsenal/Zaha and Palace and I think Palace will dig their heels in. Ultimately though if they do that, they will just end up with an unhappy player on their hands and he'll down tools to an extent. They'll sell him to us in Jan before his value starts to drop.

Reckon we'll get him in Jan for somewhere between £50m-£60m.

7. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

He was very young at United in fairness to him and has clearly come on leaps and bounds since then.

That being said, I would take him at Arsenal, but not for the fee Palace are asking for. He is 26, 27 in November, and they will be his prime years. How many good seasons would we get out of him? 2? 3 at a push? For an alleged £80m+, which would completely smash our current transfer record, I'd want us to get more years out of a player for that investment.

Even if we got CL football, I wouldn't want us spending £80m+ on Zaha because:

1) It is not a wise allocation of resources when we have multiple positions which need upgrading.

2) Not only is it an inflated figure, but there are younger, cheaper alternatives out there with a higher ceiling. For example, Everton Soares and Ismailia Sarr are both 23 and 21 respectively. They are both widely considered to be top-tier talents and would cost significantly less than what Palace are demanding. This would allow us to spend more freely on other targets.

Personally, I would prefer if we looked at other wide players who won't cost so much.

The prices for Premier League players are beyond ridiculous these days.

gooner4ever likes this.
  8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

£80m for Zaha is almost as stupid as £80m for Maguire. Yes Zaha is the PL ready package, but the market for PL players is beyond ridiculous. That said, I think Zaha would be brilliant for us and I think he'd hit the ground running. But his true value is around £50m tops.

9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I know these videos can be a bit contrived at times, but this one gives a good insight into the camaraderie in the squad at Arsenal, especially between Aubameyang and Lacazette. <ok> Aubameyang in particular seems like a proper lad always up for a laugh. Remember before he came to us people said he's a negative influence in the dressing room ? wtf were they on about ?

Good stuff this...

TheBear likes this.
  10. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Nketiah is looking like a very very good prospect.

I’m usually not very excited about most youngsters that come through, but I am definitely excited about Eddie.

I don’t even want to loan him out, I would love emery to give him game time this season.

But it’s looking like he’ll get a championship loan.

11. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Most media outlets reporting that Saliba and Caballos will be done on Monday announced on Tuesday.

Also a third bid for Tierney is expected and another bid for Zaha.

If we could land those four I would say thats a pretty decent window. Would like another experienced CB though - but who knows maybe Chambers will maske an impact..

12. TheBear

It kinda depends - last two Seasons he has started to make big improvements. 10 goals and 8 assist last Season, at a Club like Palace is a pretty decent return.
    He's an Arsenal fan (so will be commited) and just hitting his peak years, I feel like he would be a very good signing for us.

A litttle on the expensive side though yes.

13. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

When is Holding due back ? He will make a big improvement to our defence on his return. I think a Sokrais / Holding pairing would be pretty decent.

14. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

One thing that has been made abundantly clear this pre-season, if it wasn't already, is we cannot have Kolasinac and Monreal as our full-backs heading into the new campaign.

Monreal's age is becoming more and more apparent in his performances. He has lost his sharpness and defensive nous. He's been a great servant for us, but it is time to move on.

Kolasinac is also simply not up to the required standard I'm afraid. He looks completely unfit and doesn't defend properly at all. His crossing is still atrocious.

We are going to have serious problems at left-back if this Tierney deal doesn't get over the line.

15. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

A back four of Bellerin Holding Sokratis Tierney is pretty solid on paper but ultimately means **** all without some proper coaching and tactics and a decent midfield who help out, can keep the ball etc.

16. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

Certainly not worth £80m though

17. TheBear

Is he not? .. Is Neymar worth 100m plus Coutinho and Dembélé? (looking at close to 300m in total here)

Is Ndombele worth 60m?..Is Rodri worth 68.2m?.. Is Wan Bissaka worth 50m?!

The transfer market has gone crazy and you seemingly can pay anywhere between 10-200m for a Top player these days.

I think if we sign Zaha it will be for closer to 60m and for that I think he's a decent acquisition.

18. TheBear

Well you seem sceptical about Ceballos but you have to admit he's technically very good and will help the side maintain possession. That could be a big plus.

Also our defensive record last Season with Holding in the side was massively better than without him.

19. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Holding is a top CB, and he also is able to play the ball out of DF, something that Kos, Mustafi and Sokratis aren't. So when he lost him to injury, we also struggled with Emery's philosophy of playing out from the back.

20. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

United certainly overpaid for WB but that’s just typical of them.

Zaha at £55m would be my limit