1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Cb, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Wilshere has joined West Ham on a free transfer (officially). Best of luck to him.

TheBear and gooner4ever like this.
  2. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Andy Carroll will have a roommate

3. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Good luck. We will see exactly what he's made of playing with West Ham. If he can't make it with them, well...

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Hope he does well with them.
    Can't help feeling that the rest of his career is going to be pretty mediocre though.

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It's certainly the breath of fresh air that we'd all been crying out for. It all remains to be seen how it will pan out on the pitch, but at least we are no longer in the rut.

I'd expect to see an improvement on last season from the existing players in the squad too <ok>

winifred122 likes this.
  6. lazarus20000

That's a fair assumption but Emery needs time to adjust to the PL, before he can get the right strategy going for us.

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yep, it's an exciting time at Arsenal. But the whole project will take time to bed in. Emery basically has a free run next season, the season after people will begin to expect some improvement though. Personally I think it could take 2-3 seasons before we see any fruits.

The good thing is that fans will all be behind him and give him time to get things right. With Wenger, he'd lost his edge and was just gradually fading into mediocrity, dragging us down with him. This is the change we all wanted in the end.

Brave new world ahead now <ok>

BrunelGooner likes this.
  8. lazarus20000

I agree, the first season should be used to find his feet and get the team to gel, so a realistic aim should be to get around 4th to 6th in the PL, 4th being above expectations, if he hits the ground running really well. You're right, this should be viewed as a longer journey with the 2nd to 3rd years showing what he can do with us. The key here is improvement each season.

I'm excited about Arsenal again.

TheBear and gooner4ever like this.
  9. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

It's great to see Emery and the recruitment team looking to reinforce sections of the squad that we have been seriously weakened in over the years.

However, I am concerned that we have gone from not bolstering our squad in defensive midfield to now overcompensating in the defensive midfield department, based on the profile of players we are in for. I can't see how they will all fit into the team/how they will complement each other.

Xhaka has signed a new long-term contract, so one would assume he would be a mainstay in the first 11. Then we will have Torreira, Elneny, Maitland-Niles and Guendozi (albeit a prospect for the future). And we are also in talks to sign Steven N'Zonzi as well.

I just don't see how all of these players are going to fit into the midfield. Or who is going to be prioritised for the league and who will be playing in the Europa League. Should we not be looking for a playmaker as well?

10. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Surely Ozil and Ramsey are your play makers?
    Emery looks like he is building a squad not just a team.

11. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Ramsey's future is still very unclear. Also, I don't feel like Ramsey passes the ball quick enough to be an effective playmaker. If that is where Emery sees Ramsey, then he needs to work on the execution of his passes and his spatial awareness. And Ozil has predominantly been playing on the left for us. I'm more interested to know who our creative source would be in the middle of the park to replace Cazorla's influence. After all, one would assume we're not going to be fielding an ultra-defensive central midfield.

Diego likes this.
  12. lazarus20000

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/09/unai...in-arsenal-ahead-paris-saint-germain-7693803/

Unai Emery personally persuades Matteo Guendouzi to join Arsenal ahead of Paris Saint-Germain and Torreira transfer

Unai Emery personally persuaded Matteo Guendouzi to join Arsenal ahead of Paris Saint-Germain and Borussia Dortmund, according to reports in France. The 19-year-old is due to undergo a medical with the Gunners on Monday ahead of a £7 million move from Lorient. According to L’Equipe, Guendouzi had attracted interest from Borussia Dortmund, Roma and PSG but Emery ensured that Arsenal won the race by convincing the midfielder to join the Premier League. The report also claims that Guendouzi was recommended to Emery by Arsenal’s head of recruitment Sven Mislintat. Guendouzi is set to sign a four-year contract with Arsenal with the option for an additional year.

Guendouzi, who had just a year remaining on his deal with Lorient, plays as a defensive midfielder and made 21 appearances in all competitions last season. He has also represented France at Under-20 level. Arsenal are also on the brink of completing a second transfer on Monday as Lucas Torreira has arrived in England. The midfielder postponed his medical because of Uruguay’s World Cup campaign but he has travelled from Moscow to London to finalise his transfer.

‘I would have been very happy to be able to return to Uruguay with my teammates,’ Torreira said on Sunday. ‘But this is a fantastic opportunity [to join Arsenal] and I do not want to waste it.’

Interesting to see Emery take a personal interest in persuading Matteo. Also looks like the Torreira deal is close to finalising with Torreira coming to Arsenal first to sign the deal, before returning back to Uruguay. I was impressed by him in the World Cup, he has bags of energy, good defensive ability and skill with the ball. A proper fighters attitude, something we've missed for years in midfield.

13. lazarus20000

Barcelona wonderkid Joel Lopez basically confirms Arsenal transfer move
    https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/10/barc...ally-confirms-arsenal-move-instagram-7697274/

Joel Lopez has confirmed that he’s leaving Barcelona amid speculation that he is set to sign for Arsenal. The 15-year-old defender has been playing for Barcelona’s Cadeta A side and had the opportunity to sign a new deal with the La Liga giants this summer. However, widespread reports suggest Lopez has rejected Barca’s contract and the youngster is set to sign schoolboy terms with the Gunners before agreeing to a professional deal when he turns 16 in March 2019. Liverpool were also strongly interested in Lopez but Arsenal’s head of football relations from Catalonia, Raul Sanllehi, convinced the teenage left-back to move to north London instead.

‘The day has come to say goodbye to what has been my home these last 7 years,’ Lopez told his followers on Instagram. ‘Thanks to Barcelona, it will be the club that I always carry in my heart for wonderful moments that I have lived with my friends, coaches, delegates, executives.

‘Magnificent people who have made me feel welcome from the first day. ‘It was a difficult decision but after contemplating it with my family I made the decision to go and start a new stage as a footballer with great enthusiasm. ‘Thanks to all who have been there always Visca Barca!’

TheBear likes this.
  14. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Rumours are that Tottenham have come in for Nzonzi now.

With Wanyama, Dier, Sisssoko and Dembele looks like Pochettino is collecting giant midfielders.

Hope we get Nzonzi but I dont see us paying the full release clause.

15. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Looks like we are getting both Sam Greenwood (16) and Joel Lopez (15). Nice to know we're building for the future.

16. TheBear

Interesting that Fulham look to be on the verge of signing Seri.

17. TheBear

Soo rumours are that we are currently in talks with Nzonzi but the board arnt willing to sign him unless there are some departures.

Personally I would sell:

Elneny
    Carl Jenkisnon
    Ospina
    Joel Campbell
    I would be tempted to sell Mustafi also but with Koscielny injured its probably not the best timing. However if Emery see's Chambers above him in the pecking order I would sell.

.. also Ramsey needs to commit one way or the other - If he doesn't want to stay we are better off selling him now and using the money to strengthen the midfield. I hope he does stay though.. would love to see him have a decent run in the No.10/AMF role.

18. TheBear

Strange rumour today.

Courtoise looks like he may be signing for Real Madrid. Chelsea are apparently considering going back in for Peter Cech.

He had a poor Season at Arsenal last term and with Leno arriving he's probably second choice at Arsenal now. I would prefer we kept him as he would be a good influence on Leno but if Chelsea offer a decent fee then we may as well sell.

19. TheBear

Everyone seems to think signing Andre Gomes (has apparently been offered to Arsenal) would be a bad idea.

I totally beg to differ on this one.

Much was expected of Gomes when he moved to Barcelona, as he had developed into one of the best attacking midfielders in La Liga since joining Valencia from Benfica in 2014.

But he struggled to reach the standards required of a Barcelona player and admitted last season that he had found it difficult to cope with the media/fan pressure. The big issue for me is there was no settling in period he was expected to deliver from day one and the media jumped all over him when his performances were'nt immediately up to the standard.

But the guy has alot of talent and potential. For the money they are talking he could be an absolute bargain. (£16m)
    He's a technical player but also happens to be 6'4 which is a bonus in the league and at 24 years old he still hasnt come close to hitting his peak.

20. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

Tbh I never saw him at Valencia and have only watched him for Barca and he's looked mediocre. But if he did what people say he did at Valencia, for that price if there are no other better options I would say we take the gamble.