1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Cb, Nov 24, 2012.

1. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

It does look like the original reports of..

Seri
    Sokratis
    Lichensteiner
    Leno

were totally on point. Looks like Torreira will be coming in instead of Seri though. (he is however a very similar style of player)

possibly.. Çağlar Söyüncü as well.

None of those signings really excite me though I gotta be honest.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    white_gunner likes this.
  2. TheBear

He's not a 'defensive midfielder' though in the traditional sense. More like a scrappy Carzorla.

3. TheBear

-------------------------Leno--------------------------
    Bellerin--Sokratis--------Sou/Kos-----Monreal
    --------Ramsey-----Torreira------Xhaka----------
    ---Mkhitarian---Aubamayang-----Ozil-----------

Bench: Kolasinac, Mavraponos, Lacazette, Wilshere, Wellbeck, Cech.

I still think the squad needs either 1. A powerhouse CB or 2. A true Defensive midfielder like Nzonzi.

4. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Who would you have preferred to sign in their place, given our respective league position and (supposed) lack of funding? Just curious.

Also, I think we are by no means done in the transfer window. More to come for sure.

5. TheBear

Ok Fantasy football time. Hmm..

Well I think Butland over Leno.
    Leno's a good stotstopper but is a little error prone. Plus I prefer a more commanding keeper.

Lichensteiner is a great free transfer IMO.

Rather than buying Sokratis and Souyuncu for a combined £50 million. I would go for Milan Škriniar. Who was arguably the best CB in Europe last Season. (Second choice would be Matthijs de Ligt)

Instead of Torreira - who is basically Wilshere on PCP. I would get a genuine defensive midfielder. Probably Nzonzi. We have all seen how much better United are with Matic and how much poorer Chelsea were without him.

I would sell: Mustafi Chambers, Jenkinson, Ospina, Perez or Wellbeck, Joel Campbell, Elneny.

and use that money buy a Sergej Milinković-Savić or Tolisso.(Rafinha as a third option - just need some genuine World Class quality in midfield)

-----------------------Butland-------------------------
    Bellerin--Škriniar-------Koscielny-----Monreal
    --------Ramsey-----Nzonzi------Tolisso----------
    ----Mkhitarian---Aubamayang-----Ozil-----------

Bench: Lacazette, Xhaka, Kolasinac, Mavroponos,Lichensteiner, AMN, Cech.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  6. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this.

And the league position / lack of champions league football argument is not 100% legitimate IMO.
    Man United was signing world class players when they did not have Champions league football.

Yes I know Man United are arguably the biggest club in the world, but you can tell me we arent also one of the biggest clubs in the world.

HOWEVER, I still maintain the #1 signing we had to make was a new manager. That alone gets me excited for the season to come, so I will wait to judge these new signings until I see them playing in our team. We have many players in our squad already that I think were underperforming under our previous manager, so that signing alone can change the entire team.

TheBear likes this.
  7. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Soyuncu apparently close to joining as well.

PINKIE and TheBear like this.
  8. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Most of the time a new manager will give the team an automatic boost and Emery will provide that. But add to the fact that Emery is a top class Manager so he will have an impact on all the existing players. Who knows, he might get some of the players to perform better.

PINKIE likes this.
  9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Man Utd though can pay massive transfer fees and huge wages, so even without CL football they were still able to attract top players. We have to be a bit more cautious until we get back in the CL, which I think we will, maybe not next season. But I think Emery will sharpen this squad up. And even with the addition of 2-3 defensive players we should be able to get some much better results next season.

10. TheBear

With top quality offensive players like Aubameyang, Ozil, Lacazette etc.. we need to be playing Champions League football.

Rather than adding a bunch of new players all over the pitch we should just bring in 1-2 World Class defensive improvements. That could be enough to see us back in the top four. But who knows.

This whole 50m budget is ridiculous (if true) - we spent 55 million (plus a 14 million signing on fee) for Aubamayeng in January when we already had Lacazette in the squad.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Well, we need a DM, CB and GK at least so that's 3 players. Lichstiener on a free is another decent reinforcement. If we get the players we're linked with then I think the squad is in good shape for next season. It then comes down to what Emery can do with them <ok>

12. TheBear

Well maybe.

Is Leno better than Cech? I hope so. But I'm not sure.
    Torreira is NOT a DM. He plays a similar role to Wilshere.

Sokratis and Lichensteiner deals both fit the bill though.

Soyuncu is the big unknown quantity. Fingers crossed he's the next Cannavaro/Maldini and not another Mustafi.

white_gunner likes this.
  13. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Torreira is a deep lying playmaker. We do still need a DM. I think we will still be in the market during and after the WC.

TheBear likes this.
  14. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Hate to have to say it, but Mustafi is another victim of Wenger's Montessori system. Under a proper coach, he could be a useful asset. The reality is, our team was never coached properly defensively under Wenger. How can you expect defenders to perform when there's no system?

15. TheBear

Well yeah I agree. He's a useful player - all I meant really is that he isn't top class.

16. TheBear

being linked to Goetze who is trying to force a move ( £18 million.)

Would be a good signing IMO. Can play AMF and on both wings.

17. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

That would be a steal in today's market. Gotze is top class

18. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

A lot of reliable sources claiming that Leno to Arsenal will be finalised tomorrow.

Have to say - I'm not too enthused about this signing. He made the second most errors in the Bundesliga last season (9) and a lot of reviews from journalists/Leverkusen fans are saying that he has regressed in the past couple of years.

I suppose he is still 26, so is young enough to improve. And maybe a change of scenery/different manager will help him improve. But I still feel there were better goalkeepers we could have gone for.

On the plus side, Torreira seems to be close to joining us. If we can pull it off, it would be a phenomenal signing. Would make a huge difference to our midfield. I'm excited for this one <ok>

19. TheBear

Yeah I know - I feel the same way.

I guess he's a keeper with Top Class potential. The young keepers that are already Top Class like Allison and Oblak will cost a good £50+million in the current market. I still feel like we should have brought back Sczezney and not sold him.

Leno's a great shotstopper and still young so hopefully he'll cut out the errors and develop into a WC Keeper.

20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Seeing Szczesny's wild mistake against Senegal yesterday reminded me why we got rid of him. A keeper who rated himself way higher than his ability.

Leno is a solid signing. He's still young enough to improve on his already decent platform too.

In other news, we're being linked to Ever Banega today. He's 29 now, but would still be a great signing, especially as Wilshere is on his way out. He's worked with Emery at Sevilla and Valencia before, so there could be some truth to this.

Midfield of Torreira, Banega, Ramsey would be really exciting.