1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Cb, Nov 24, 2012.

1. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

He would be a quality backup to Bellerin. He may even challenge for a starting spot. He appears to still have plenty of pace. The guy won 7 titles with Juventus - its useful to have guys like this around. He's a no-nonsense kind of player as well which I like.

2. TheBear

Hypothetically speaking.. If those 'rumoured' players are all we add (I dont think it will be)

This would actually be a really tough team to beat. They've added some experience and physicality.

------------------------------NewGK------------------------------
    Bell/Lich-----Sokratis--------------Koscielny------Kolasinac
    ------------Fellaini-------Xhaka---------Ramsey--------------
    -----Ozil--------------Aubamayang---------Mkhitarian------

3. BobbyD

BobbyD President

just had a look through espn, according to them he averages probably around 4 or a season. Not great lol, especially playing for Juve as a wingback

4. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

That reminds me of a few years back when I thought Spurs had a good team and then I checked who would actually get into one of the then top four sides and the answer was essentially, Bale and Modric (and Ledley King if he was fit). I don't think more than three of those above would start for any of the five teams who finished above you last year.

5. TheBear

Not really true though is it.

Ozil has achieved more than the entire Spurs squad combined. And I dont even mean that as a diss - it's just a fact. Wenger never really got the best out of him but he's Absolutely World Class.

Aubameyang Up their with Kane and Aguero as one of the best CF's on the planet. I think he's our key man next year. Lets be honest who wouldn't take him in their side? He can play CF and RWF/LWF.

Lacazette Poacher with a decent work ethic. Possibly the best second choice CF in the EPL? You telling me Spurs and Chelsea wouldn't take him?

Koscielny One of the best ballplaying CB's in the league. Needs to be played alongside a less offensive CB though.

Bellerin Probably the quickest player in the league. Technically excellent - if he can improve his delivery he'll be a World Class fullback.

Mkhitarian This is a guy who managed 32 assists in a Season for Dortmund. Didn't suite Moureens style but the guy is TOP class.

Ramsey Been inconsistent for sure but who wouldn't want him in their squads?

Monreal, Kolasinac, Sokratis aint too bad either.
    Our squad is WAY better than you think. Dont let the last two Seasons under Wenger fool you.

gooner4ever and ToledoTrumpton like this.
  6. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

We have a crop of extremely young and talented players coming through as well, AMN, Nketiah, Nelson and others. Not to mention our secret weapon.

7. PowerSpurs

I'd probably have all 7 of those in the squads but if you look at the starting XIs then none get into Man City's; Bellerin, Aubemayang into Man United's or Spurs; those plus Ozil and Koscielny might get into Liverpool or Chelsea but they are both well past their best.

8. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Also, opposition fans taking the p.. regarding Fellaini, are comically missing the point of him coming to us (if it happens). I am no admirer of the guy and I think he's an absolute donkey, but he does have a certain skill set, one we lack in large doses. Plus he will be extra weight if we need someone to throw in in the closing stages of a game, will arrive on cut price wages and we won't have to pay anything. Not the most glamorous of signings but sadly, we're not in a position to complain about who we get at this point I'm afraid.

TheBear likes this.
  9. TheBear

This is just your opinion. And it's tainted by Arsenals terrible recent form.
    IMO Ozil is still better than William, Sane, Ericksen, Chamberlain, Herrera/Lindgard etc.. - just wait until the World Cup.

Our team has been stuck in a rut under Wenger and some top quality players are being over-looked. Hopefully Emery will bring some much needed enthusiasm back into the team.

gooner4ever likes this.
  10. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

What’s the secret weapon

11. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

See my Yacine Adli thread.

12. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I agree with most things said on here, except the part about “extremely young and talented youngsters coming through”

I don’t think any have been given a chance just yet to truly shine and be claimed as “extremely talented”. And playing well at youth/ reserve level is not the same as playing at first team level. Just ask all the “talented youngsters” that have been released Over the past 10 or so seasons.

In fact our squad seems to be going the other direction age wise.

I would argue one negative aspect is we don’t really have many youngsters knocking on the door at all. Apart from AMN, no others IMO are near the first team.

13. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

I'd argue that they are there, but our squad has been grossly mismanaged in all aspects so its no surprised they are leaving for greener pastures. Hopefully the change of management will have a positive effect.

14. PowerSpurs

Of course it's just my opinion but I'm not just basing it on Arsenal's recent form. Ozil was sold by Real Madrid for a reason. Modric and Kroos were better. He's much older now. He can't be the solution.

15. TheBear

Football is the only sport where fans are soo obsessed with age. 29 years old would still be considered athletic peak for most sports.

He's the same age as Toby Alderweireld.

PINKIE and gooner4ever like this.
  16. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Some rumours that we could be interested in Lucas Torreira. Anyone seen him play?

17. TheBear

No - Just highlights. But he looks more like a Carzorla type than a proper DM. He's scrappy 5'6 - looks like a decent player but he is TINY.

If he's the main midfield target I can see why they are also looking at Fellaini.

18. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Sometimes height isn't everything. Cannavaro being an example. Could be a shrewd acquisition.

19. TheBear

For sure. But I just dont like the idea of a tiny DM in front of our small lightweight CB's. Unless they bring some size into the squad elsewhere. Particularly when Mourinho, Klopp and Pochettino are assembling large athletic sides.

I guess Sokratis will help things a bit. (if it actually happens)

I do actually think this rumour has some weight to it. (unlike Torreira himself).
    He looks a good player though - just dont see him improving us defensively.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  20. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Made something like 1.6 interceptions per game last season and has a pass accuracy of 87% (78% of those were forward). I think we're in the market for a big DM and a little wizard. We'll see what happens.