1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer Clearance Sale 2017

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by glazerfodder, May 14, 2017.

1. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Having witnessed yet another abject display it is glaringly obvious that there has to be a massive clear-out of the deadwood this summer.

For me Blind, Smalling, Jones, Darmian, Shaw and Januzai have to go. I would add Fellaini to the list but I suspect JM will keep him.

So, stick or twist, who should we get rid of?

2. Jürgenmeiʃter

Jürgenmeiʃter Top top top top top flirt

I think Joshey should def go, oh on 2nd thoughts

3. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

We already got rid of him to Bournemouth, apparently you lot are looking to buy him in the summer <ok>

4. Jürgenmeiʃter

Jürgenmeiʃter Top top top top top flirt

THought you would be, chuck money at it and all that!

Where is Treble?

5. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Maybe on his way back from the **** hole that is London?

6. thefanwithnoname

thefanwithnoname Well-Known Member

Is it the players or the manager?

For me likes of Rooney do need to step up or step out but the type of football needs to be looked at too

I would rather see youngsters playing and having a go than what we do with shackling likes of mikhi and martial

I give both LVG and José the excuse of not realising how big a job it was with SAF making it look easy with cleverly in MF and Moyes just being a **** and the pressure to compete but honestly I would rather have LVG back than what I have seen this season

And the weird thing is if we win ropey we have down better than all top 4 teams bar chelsea

7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Then you really haven't understood what you have been watching.

8. thefanwithnoname

Tbh I dont understand your comment

What are you sayin

9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

That if you prefer van Gaals turgid side to side, backwards possession football to the better, slightly more flowing game we have been playing this season (still not great or even right), then you don't understand the way we are expected to play or even the idea of entertainment.

10. thefanwithnoname

I don't see much difference tbh if anything we are breaking records. LVG most possession no win and Jose least possession and no win.

Now I appreciate both are doing it to cope with the squad at hand, but likes of rashford coming through lead to hope and some good news

I also bought into injury issues with lvg and playing youngsters to finish 5th. I don't buy into Jose's excuses simply because of how we set up against liked of Liverpool at the start of the season

At least LVG himself was entertaining see the fall and sexshy comments. Mourinho is fecking boring

11. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

OK <ok>

12. Stan

Stan Stalker

We shouldn't be selling Shaw.

13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

No, we shouldn't. It's Mourinho's job to get the best out of him. You sell Shaw then a replacement of equal quality has to be bought, it's just a better bet to keep who we have if they are good enough and Shaw is.

Same with De Gea. For some reason it's seen as good business to sell him as United would get 60 million but this is ignoring the fact they'd have to spend nearly as much to replace him with someone who could only be inferior.

Our problem positions are centre half, we need two or one and a top quality DCM, and scoring goals. Both Zlatan and Rooney need to be replaced but I'd be happy to run with Rashford as long as a prolific replacement for Rooney comes in. That player would be Griezmann.

cytrax likes this.
  14. Stan

Stan Stalker

I'd agree with binning Smalling. He's just not top quality.

Jones is I'd keep as a JOS type player.

15. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Agree on this too. Jones is actually not bad when fit, which admittedly is rare.

Smalling is just ****. I don't get how he's regressed so much when LVG had him playing well for a period.

I think we're probably better off buying a top drawer centre half and a DM, rather than two centre halves. Bailly and Rojo are sound enough and with Jones and a new signing we'd be solid enough there.

16. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Too injury prone plus both LvG and Mouriniho have had issues with his attitude so can see him moving him on while he still has some value.

Jones and Smalling are too injury prone as well - pity as your best CB partnership this season was Jones and Rojo imo.

Zlaten will leave to retire in US, Rooney could be a swap deal for Lukaku or he will retire to China along with Ashley Young who was rumoured to be going there in Jan.

Damian has been remarkably average so he could be going as well - Blind might have proven himself enough to be the backup CB/LB/DM.

De Gea as well unfortunately and that is your lot I think.

17. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We can get away with one centre half if they're a proper leader. That's the problem we've had since Vidic and Rio left - the last few centre halves we've signed have been Bailly, Jones and Rojo, all fine players but not leaders at the back.

Any of those three would be great playing next to a leader like Vidic, Pallister, Stam, heck even someone like Terry or Hyypia (shudder).

Also Jones and Bailly are still young enough to learn from someone like that and turn into future leaders. Same way Rio and Brown learned from Laurent Blanc in his first season. Blanc was old and struggling for pace when he joined, but still had the nous which was a great benefit to a backline lacking experience and leadership at the time.

18. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

We always used to have that balance between brains and brawn all over the pitch, we simply don't have that now. Rio/Vidic, Keane/Scholes, Pallister/Irwin etc ....kick out at one of our creative players and you had two thugs after you for the rest of the game. We need a few bruisers in there to mix with the talent we have, think Vidal, Ribery, Turan, Rakitic and Ramos. Our squad is very 'nice', very lightweight in terms of muscling the opposition around.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  19. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Pretty much.

All we have at the moment is Fellaini, and he only gets to elbow the opposition in the head once before being sent off...

Sir Tennisball and glazerfodder like this.
  20. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

One problem with that assessment. Top quality CB's are a rarity with best in the business being the three at Juve. The best in the PL might be the Tottenham CBs and VVD at Southampton.