1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stoke

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by NickH, Sep 18, 2017.

1. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I had almost completely forgotten that we're playing Stoke in the League Cup tomorrow! Whilst they're not the sexiest of Premier League sides, it's nice to play a top flight team and hopefully give them a good game.

They play against Chelsea on Saturday, so whilst Mark Hughes has come out with the usual 'we'll field a strong side' bluster, I'm sure he'll make quite a few changes, so I expect to see Crouch play some part (Flint's an obvious candidate to man mark him), and probably Berahino - maybe as a front two, which could be good for us, as I think we're capable of controlling the midfield if they try to play 4-4-2.

...Bad news is that Kurt Zouma is almost certain to play, as he will be ineligible to play Chelsea - he's genuinely excellent more often than not, so it will be hard to get past him. Rumours are that Shawcross won't be risked though and Lee Grant might be given a start in place of Butland in goal.

I'm not sure if I'm expecting much, but I thoroughly enjoyed us knocking out Watford, so am grateful for the Brucie-Bonus of another game to tide us over until the weekend. We won't realistically win the Cup, but it would be nice to see us in the hat along with some of the biggest sides - the thought of a tie with either Manchester club or a Chelsea, Tottenham or Arsenal is exciting, even if it is 'only' the League Cup. The odds will be against us, so it's likely moot, but we didn't expect to get past the last round either...

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Nick we can win this on our own patch,especially the way we are playing.

Looking forward to the game.

3. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Definitely possible - on their forum there's the typical 'they only finished 17th last season - our reserves should beat them' attitude. Hopefully their players are equally arrogant.

Seems as though they like to use the in-trend 3-4-3 formation, so could be an opportunity to exploit space down the wings. If LJ is comfortable giving Leko game time, he could relish the opportunity - I'd like to see Eliasson again too.

4. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

stoke is 1 team that will want to go all the way, its the only real chance they might ever get of silverware, not likely to win prem, real outside chance of maybe Europe, depending on draws FA cup unlikely

5. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

I was listening to their fans a while back,they think they should be doing better than what they are currently doing on talksport, i was coming back from a away game.
    Christ considering their size they should be chuffed to bits.

6. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

In some ways, with the personnel they have, Stoke ought to be competing for a Europa League spot, but I agree that maybe they're being fanciful if they expect a large improvement on the level they're at now. Bar a Leicester City style miracle, they are pushing at what I would consider their metaphorical glass ceiling, and those are notoriously hard to break through. I suppose the one problem with making it into the Premier League is that the best you can realistically hope for is to be amongst the 'best of the rest', because the very biggest teams essentially have the top 4,5 maybe 6 spots sewn up.

On that basis, johngalley is right; they ought to take both the League Cup and FA Cups very seriously, because where's the prestige in finishing 9th, instead of 13th if it that also means a trophy or two in the cabinet? It's only if they make a truly dreadful start in the League that relegation becomes a significant risk that they shouldn't give all they can in the Cups.

7. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

reid and fam up front
    eliasson and from smith pack o dowda brownhill patterson
    wright flint baker bryan

subs to include Taylor, Maggers, 2 of above, steele 2 younger members

8. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

As I put elsewhere a couple of weeks ago, Stoke will be up for this one, especially with some of the big boys already having been knocked out. Teams like Stoke that are left in the LC will fancy their chances of going quite a way in the competition.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  9. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I think you are right JGF - they really want this cup: http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/271698/bristol-city-stoke

10. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

11. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

If we play at the level we did against a rated team like Derby County then I think we are in with a shout. Win or lose this one doesn't really matter in the overall scheme of things but will be a test of our mettle and will be a good indicator of our overall being. I'm not sure whether the live feed will be on because certain matches are not included but to be pro-active I'll get the valves warmed up beforehand. I wonder who we might play in the next round (that's me being positive)?

12. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Pretty much my thinking.

If anything, you'd think highlights for the League Cup would be easier to find than league games, but not sure how it is for those with bcfc player.

13. bcfcredandwhite

Yes - and they are afraid of Flint!

14. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

They'll say he nullifies Crouch, so bring on Berahino, mark my word. Seems like we're on top in the early stages.

15. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

16. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

1-0 Fammy

NickH likes this.
  17. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Deserved - I bet their forum's blowing up considering we've mad more changes than them!

18. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

2-0 Taylor! Can't lie, I'm smug as anything right now!

19. bcfcredandwhite

Their forum is in meltdown - they are not happy!

20. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

I don't know what's going on right now but we are sensational, Diedhiou, Pack and Hegeler class, Steele looked good in goal, O'Dowda worked his socks off, ran into spaces all game, quality display overall, onto the next round :)