1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sticky threads and racism

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Shameless, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Shameless

Shameless Well hung member

( ...putting comments about Whoopi and Raquel Welsh to one side for a moment, see attached for a nice Botox job)

The thread "Thorny subject" -has attracted more attention and comments than any other going back ...how many pages?

When it was first posted, it did not appear to garner much interest but the article has stayed on the first page for a long time.

Football has made a stand against racism and given some of the anecdotes from some posters about racist (so-called) fans, I would like to consider it appropriate if we made a clear unequivocal statement on our board stating we will not tolerate racist remarks in any form. I'd be very proud actually. please tell me if this might be overboard or if you have any differing or affirming opinions - thanx

2. safc73

safc73 Active Member

I’m with you 100%

PS more pic's of nice bottox jobs .......... just to admire the techniques used and quality of the work mind

3. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

TBH, i can't say i've witnessed any racism on here apart from that moronic chris.

4. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

Can see what you mean but the Sites rules state no racism and I always find it a tricky one, do we single out racisim above say homophobic comments or religion? By highlighting it do we make a statement or saying we dont agree with it or are we saying we need to highlight it because its a problem. I am very proud of my fellow Sunderland fans and their attitude towards racisim, I thought it was the norm but if you take a look around other boards, its not.

We will always have racists among us and maybe we all have it in us to varying degrees, thats a sad fact of life. Like welder says I have seen very little on this board and to everyones credit if it does raise its ugly head my fellow Sunderland fans are very quick to jump on it.

I said on the racist thread that I banned a Sunderland fan, well a so called Sunderland fan, a few weeks ago. He joined and wrote one thread, on the Newcastle board with one intent. A few comments in he posted a picture of Toite, cant spell, with the words written under it saying something like, Look at the n...er but the word in full. I was really shaken by that and I dont shake that easy, thought those days were long gone. In a way I'm pleased he posted it because it brought it home that we may have come a long way but by god do we still have a long way to go.

Still open minded about a statement and still not sure.

5. Shameless

Shameless Well hung member

Good - we have every reason to be proud.

Football has made a stand against racism, though there may be other forms of prejudice equally vulgar and this does not to ignore them, on the contrary, they ought to be better supported.

As I said, I think this is a reason to be proud

Actually, I hate all dogs -smelly, noisy things -yuk! ...I know you have remained impartial on most issues, but on this (this, as in racism not the ****ing canines btw) you have acted and I think you were right to do so.

6. Steven Royston O'Neill

my boys not smelly and noisy, he is a good boy he is, cheek, I wont let him read that, he would cry.

7. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

I certainly agree with you in principal Syd, but the criteria of 'what is racist' is often fluid and subjective. For example, someone recently referred to a black player as coloured, which a few years ago would have been perfectly acceptable, but in some quarters is now classed as borderline racist. However, what we shouldn't tollerate is any blatently racist, sexist or homophobic comments specifically designed to be hurtful.

8. Steven Royston O'Neill

I agree MrRAW, it would be uite possible for me to refer to someone as coloured, probably a generation thing and I can understand why a black person may be offended by it but it would never be intended to offend. And surely thats the point, is it intended or just badly worded. I am guilty on the homophobic front because I know I joke about things that gay people may find offensive, I dont intend offence and try to think more before I hit the send button, again it may be a generation thing.

9. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

I love your dog too Syd looks great, its the 2 legged Skunk dogs i cant stand, is it racial to call a one of those a skunk, they like magpie but that bird is a patchwork of colour, the nearest black and white creature with stripes is a skunk. Whilst not wishing to offend, eerrr wrong, i enjoy offending wums, who disrespect our club. better go on the naughty step now before i drop myself in it anymore.