1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sterling: why the wait?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by carlthejackal, Feb 14, 2015.

1. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

Rodgers has said he has made Sterling an incredible offer. He hasn't given details but even the broadsheets are saying it is around £100k/week. And he has given the reasons why for someone so young it is a very good deal. But it seems that his agents may be holding out for even more than that.

I agree with Rodgers when he said that he and the club should not be held to ransom. At his age even that 100k is huge and he or his agents are terribly greedy to want more. And he should show some loyalty to the club that has made him into the player he Is today.

I remember the likes of Heighway Callaghan and Tommy Smith. Legends who hardly earned a fraction of that. I am 100% with Rodgers in not giving in.

EDIT: to mods: Sorry not seen the other thread about Sterling's injury. You may wish to merge this with the other one.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  2. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Flappy Flanagan (JK) Well-Known Member

I will show some sympathy and consider the argument that doesnt involve money.

Last year we competed for the title. This year we are playing catch up for top 4. The season before last we were no where near 4th. I can understand his caution, though his caution does show some disloyalty. What team are we, the title contenders or CL chasers.

3. FedLadSonOfAnfield

I'm not arsed either way as long as we don't lose out on making some money on him if he leaves.

Players are always replaceable, some more than others.

Sterling's a very decent player who lacks experience and self-knowledge, and this shows in his game and perhaps how he (and his advisors more to the point) is/are handling this situation. I only say 'decent' as i think apart from his obvious pace, movement and agility he doesn't have a good finish on him or the head yet to make the right call at important moments / in important positions on the pitch.

We'd be fine without him as long as we bring another player in to fulfil that role so not really worried.

Page_Moss_Kopite likes this.
  4. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Obvious hes got too big for his boots. Last year when he broke back onto the scene and started ripping it up he was less selfish and would pass to sturridge and suarez as well as contribute. This season he has been shooting from stupid angles, making bad decisions, hogging the ball and just being less of a team player.

Not sure if this a tactical part of his plan to show he's far more important to the team to earn bigger bucks or whether he doesn't trust his teammates.

With respect to his wages he should take them (who wouldnt even like just a fraction of that!) but with this new tv deal i can see him holding out for more as he knows he could make far more at a different club

5. Because he's not had those two to pass too...? <whistle> :bandit:

Pretty much agree with all this. Sterling's proved to be a better player than I expected but he's not the dogs bollox either. He could become a truly quality player but he's still got a lot to learn, especially if he wants to continue being a top player once he uses up all the nitros!

If I put it another way, if we were interested in signing him from elsewhere and he was reportedly making these wage demands, I'd be saying leave him be, there are plenty more players out there waiting to be found. I'd also be adding that I only want players that play for the Liverbird.

6. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I mentioned it might be cause he doesnt trust his team mates but in my opinion its because he wants to further his cause for higher pay. My basis for this is he is now the star of the team (minus when sturridge was out) and he knows it. Getting more goals is just to reinforce this. Hence hes not signing a contract yet and rodgers is putting pressure on sterling to sign via the media.

Also agree he isnt the dogsbollocks yet. Quality player but decision making and finishing isnt there yet. Tbh coutinho who ive been chanpioning for ages and would love him at chelsea is a far more talented player

7. I don't thinks its because he doesn't trust his team mates, I thinks its a combination of us lacking striking options (so Brod's told him to do it himself) and having poor decision making abilities.

I've moaned about Sterling previously (beginning of last season) calling him a young Theo Walcott, Aaron Lennon and Shaun Wright-Phillips; lots of pace and very direct but lacks game intelligence often resulting in taking the wrong option unless put in a position where he has no time to think about it. Last season, he proved to be a better player than I thought and he's continued to be a good player this year too, but I don't think he is as good as is being made out.

Of course, being the main man at a club like Liverpool at such a young age is going to take its toll too. Having Sturridge back should help. Its not coincidence that Raheem's best performances this season have come when Coutinho has been on song too.

8. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Agreed about that. Sterling has taken me by surprise how much he has progressed. When he first joined he was a speed merchant like wally and lennon.

Last season i thought he was more of the same except that with coutinho sturridge and suarez supplying him with the space and passes even usain bolt would do well. Towards the latter end of last year and this year he is such an exciting player. Quick strong great balance and tenacious. He has definitely changed my opinion on him

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

He's a quality player, he terrorises defences and has proved to be a major influence on livpl's season. A lot of livpl fans putting a brave face on it but the truth is that keeping players like sterling (at all costs) is what liverpool need to do if they want to join and cement themselves among the successful clubs otherwise it's more of the same merrygoround of underachievement that's been there. Personally I think he will sign. This is all smoke and mirrors, a deal will be done.

10. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

The experience at Southampton this season shows that there is no problem with selling a good player provided you get market value. Good players can be replaced with similar. It's more difficult with a world class player like Bale or Suarez-where do you get them, particularly if champions league is not guaranteed?
    Sterling is a very good player. Not sure that he is irreplaceable-yet.

BobbyD likes this.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

I totally agree... this is why lfc should put more effort into getting ibe signed up.

Sterling is not to top ranked player IMO. He does too many things badly. If he plays on instinct and does things fast he is fine but if he's got to think at all he gets absolutely owned.

IMO i'd be lining up a big move in the summer. 50mil and he's gone no question. huge mistake by him as we've seen the likes of owen leave us and go downhill and we've seen the likes of scott sinclair have a 5 year career stall at city.

If find it very short sighted of him and his agent that they are hunting a free which will mean we will sell him.

12. moreinjuredthanowen

oh and i forgot.... suarez contract 12 months ago shows how a contract is just better money today... thats all. if sterling thinks 200k is his on a free he can pick up the same while getting 100k per week in the next two weeks.

Its like this... modric even with levy screwing him out of utd move ended up far better off in the end. They always do... if they put the effort in and play the game... the rewards come to the performers not the money hunters

13. Channonfodder

Does the name Dejan Lovren ring a bell?;)

14. moreinjuredthanowen

Contract got everyone what they wanted.....

15. Channonfodder

Yes, but his reputation has hardly been enhanced by the move so far. Although the player wanted the move, and agitated in the media, the club didn't. All history now of course, but you can't help wondering how he would have faired, had he stayed.

16. LuisDiazgamechanger

Liverpool star Raheem Sterling: I'm close to signing new deal
    Rodgers knows Sterling is happy at the club and is keen to sign soon so his star man can focus on the Reds' top four push.

Sterling is confident he will be playing Champions League football again at Anfield next season.

The Reds beat top-four rivals Southampton on Sunday to close the gap on the Champions League places to just two points.
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...ar-Raheem-Sterling-I-m-close-signing-new-deal

please log in to view this image

Sterling, who bagged the second goal in the 2-0 win, said: ""We knew we were top four material from the start of the season.

"Obviously, it didn't go as planned at the start but now we're showing what we can do.

"Credit to the boys, we just keep to need keep performing and keep fighting and then we'll definitely get to where we want to be."

17. moreinjuredthanowen

my opinion is that yoshida is no great shakes but i reckon with fonte and lovern and wanyama and schneiderlin and of course koeman there is nothing to say that lovern would not be in for team of year <whistle>

Southampton have a very mean defence and he would have played well in it.

We ask more and give less screen....

I would have to also wonder.................... seriously if he'd played CB of a back 3 with can and sahko, displacing skertl from the first day of the season would lovern be first name on the lips of LFC fans as a hero... It all circumstance IMO. Skertl is no leader or organiser but is getting parise for getting stuck in for a few headers... which i bloody well praised him for last year but nobody wanted to know then <laugh>

Honest to god once a player gets a rep it impossible to change some minds.... which BTW is why i'll keep saying markovic is less than impressive at times but has shown a brain and lallan is just an expensive hair cut.... i may as well

18. moreinjuredthanowen

get on with it then..... once its done he can come in from the cold but for me I'd as soon sell him as look at him until he actually does.