1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sterling called back to England squad

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Klopp's Mannschaft, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24439799

Seriously, why? LFC player and I'll support him of course, but he's playing absolute garbage and has been for pretty much an entire year now. I question why he's getting game time ahead of Ibe, never mind being called up to the England team.

In some ways it's good, he needs game time to improve, but he doesn't deserve it.

Also, still no Henderson considered? Is he not popular enough with the journos yet because of his price tag (which was a bargain)?

2. Whole Lotta Lovren

Whole Lotta Lovren Active Member

Shows what a farce the England selection is at times. Sterling is nowhere near ready to be a first team starter for us, never mind being considered for international duty. Hell, I think even Downing has a better claim for an England spot than Sterling.

3. Denny Kalglish

Old owl face strikes again - Sterling nowhere near LFC first team standard or England. Inconsistent, no end product and a bad attitude.

Hope he proves me wrong (and we have to remember he is just a boy) but I find him difficult to get excited about ? He rarely influences a game IMHO

4. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Owl face <laugh>

Agree with the general feeling here,Raheem hasn't been on form all year and I don't
    understand why Ibe isn't getting more of a look in.

5. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Flappy Flanagan (JK) Well-Known Member

Roy Hodgson think to one dimentionally.

6. Shocking call up <doh>

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Should have called up Ramsey!!!

Gotcha!!

8. LuisDiazgamechanger

Raheem Sterling call up good for him.<ok>

9. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

Good for him, bad for any England fan though!

He has been called up simply because he's a popular choice as a bring prospect. Just like Wilshere will be called up regardless of form or Jones and Smalling. They could play awful and be picked. Hodgson picks flavour of the month (or year) players instead of those actually playing well. Carrick didn't get a look in until the media started to like him for the very same reason.

When will Hendo gain popularity for his fantastic displays?

10. Milk

Milk Member

Hodgeson accidentally clicked Sterling before hitting submit to FIFA.

Once it gets to the game preview screen it won't let you hit back.

/ at least that's how it works in football manager... damn it! I didn't want Downing in goal but its too late to pick reina for the squad now.

11. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Flappy Flanagan (JK) Well-Known Member

I bet Downing was epic in goal.

12. Milk

Milk Member

I've accidentally put outfielders in goal several times over the years... and they always do better than you'd expect.

I never waste a spot on the sub bench for a goalkeeper... anyone will do a decent job in the extremely rare case a goalkeeper gets injured.

13. LucasPrime

LucasPrime Member

How does Carrick, Cleverly and Milner get picked ahead of Henderson. Then one of them drop out and he is still forgotten and instead a player who has been absolutely awful this season gets picked.

Grandad Roy has no idea.

14. please log in to view this image

15. please log in to view this image

16. please log in to view this image

17. please log in to view this image

18. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Disagree with Carrick. He should be starting - yes he's not spectacular but he does something in the England team that no one else wants to do and that's receive the ball and keep it simple. For all the good things Gerrard does, his Hollywood passing at International level plays into the hands of opposition who like to keep hold of the ball. It means when we get it, if his 60 yard pass doesn't come off, the opposition get it straight back and we struggle to regain possession again.

Henderson should be in there ahead of Cleverly/Sterling though on form this year

19. Magic Ted

Magic Ted Talulah

I think I'm the only Liverpool fan on here who is genuinely excited about Sterling - with that said I agree that he doesn't deserve this call-up.

Remember when he first broke in to the team under Dalglish? Him coming on lifted Anfield, and for the odd 10 minutes he got he lit up the field. Even under BR, earning his first start against Man City, and him along with Allen were the shining light(s) in a swirling **** storm. Complacency and perhaps exhaustion kicked in and his levels dropped, he's come back in to the mix this season and people don't seem to have the same love for him.

I think he's earned his spot in the squad, now it's up to him and him only to kick on and reach the next level, he has such raw talent without the physique, but for the best players it's all about the talent, and they use their brain to compensate for their lack of physicality.. At 19, Raheem needs to be like a sponge and needs to learn of players around him, in training and on match days.. Honestly, watch Coutinho and see how he uses and finds the space and the little strength he does posses to his advantage!