1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spurs Anticipate Huddlestone Return - Article

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by TheBallWinner, Jun 29, 2011.

1. TheBallWinner

TheBallWinner Member

Hello people. Was wondering if some Spurs fans could take a quick look an article I wrote recently and discuss what you think about the big man.

Thanks alot.

Spurs Anticipate Huddlestone Return

2. SolidSpur

SolidSpur Member

Thats a good read.

I've been wondering what 'Arry will do when Hudd is back. Surely he can't drop Sandro with his recent spell of brilliance, and Modric is simply better than Hudd in that position. But at the same time, he's too good to be dropped himself.

It'll be interesting to see what he'll do.

3. ShelfSideSpur

ShelfSideSpur Active Member

Supposing Modders (and Niko) stays, I think it will be 'as is' for the start of next season. Injuries/form permitting I think we're looking at:

Lennon--Sandro--Modders--Bale

Away from home though, a bit of rotation in the games where Bale usually gets found out, we could go something like:

---------Sandro--Thudd
    Lennon-------------------Modders/Niko
    -------------VDV
    -----------------NEW STRIKER

Obviously not paying too much consideration to who we're playing.

But we've got a lot of games coming up next season, I think 'Arry needs to be a bit smarter with his tactics/selection/rotation and they'll all easilly get 20-25 games each.

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not sure how long this'll last, as the mods may view it as advertising, but you make some fair points.

I'm a fan of Huddlestone and I think that if we can get shot of a few more dead wood players and bring in Parker, then we'll have a very competitive central midfield squad.
    Modric, Sandro, and the two England players each offer something different, yet complementary.
    You could pick any two from the four and they'd appear to form a workable partnership.

It's useful to have a squad Solid, but you could still pick all three of those that you mention, just by playing Bale in what Redknapp sees as his future position: left-back.
    Modric played a lot of the season that we finished 4th in on the left, cutting in and linking the midfield with the attack.
    With a pretty solid central pairing of Huddlestone and Sandro, we could create a lot of chances through Lennon, Modric, Bale and van der Vaart.
    We would still need that elusive lone striker, though.

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Great minds think alike, Shelfside! <laugh>

I'd imagine that Parker could be used in place of either Sandro or Huddlestone in that formation and Kranjcar could fill in for either van der Vaart or Modric, as could Pienaar, but Lennon would still lack cover.

6. ShelfSideSpur

PNP <ok>

For some reason I keep forgetting (omitting) Pienaar. I can't see him getting too many games next season but I suppose he is a useful squad member (seems happy to wiat for his opportunity). He just hasn't done that much for me to sit up and take notice. Quite frankly how he can get ahead of Niko is beyond me, but that's just my opinion.

7. ShelfSideSpur

Oh and we'd have cover for Lennon in Beckham :emoticon-0119-puke:

8. ShelfSideSpur

Or GDS/Townsend <headhurts>

9. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Sadly, you're probably right about Beckham.

I think that Pienaar has struggled to settle and had a couple of injuries, but his selection ahead of Kranjcar is purely down to workrate.
    If we stick with the 4-4-1-1 though, I can see them both being used in the same side, especially for European games, assuming that they both stay.

10. Van Der Man

Van Der Man Member

I am a massive fan of Huddlestone however after coming back from injury in the last few weeks of the season he didn't seem like the same player as before he was over hitting his passes on to many times hopefully he can get a good pre season under him and be pussing Sandro for a starting place as Sandro was amazing in the games he played!

11. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Which all goes to show how strong our midfield is yet we are still linked with Parker!!!

Harry! strikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikersstrikers, strikers.

If you gets me meaning!

12. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

You want us to sign a.... winger?

13. TheBallWinner

TheBallWinner Member

Thanks alot people. Will be good to see Tom back next season and hopefully on top form... Will be writing another article soon on Spurs soon. :)

14. Teddy's First Touch

Teddy's First Touch New Member

I'm a late-comer to this one, thanks for the link to the article OP.
    (Where it refers to Kranjcar I think you want 'compensated for' rather than 'constituted'.)

I'm a big fan of Huddlestone. Nobody strikes the ball quite like he does when he's on form.

It does seem sometimes that we've been waiting a long time for him to reach the levels that his potential has suggested in the last few seasons.
    I've seen comments on other forums that claim he'll never reach his potential at Spurs and would only flourish at MUFC or Chelsea. Whether there's any truth in those kind of remarks is probably a can of worms for another thread.
    I guess those kind of clubs will be waiting, like us, to see if Huddlestone can turn in a strong season.
    I worry sometimes that he is a 'luxury player' until he can develop the weaker aspects of his game, but I also agree with PNP that our midfield options are strong, if Harry gets the rotation right.