1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spring News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Mar 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've been waiting for notDistant to remind me that Spring as sprung....you just can't rely on anyone these days.....:rolleyes:.....<whistle>.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Do you know, I thought about that only this week.

So, having missed the opportunity, I'll come up with the first Springtime Topic.

In Derek Adams' time, the Home Park pitch was BIG, the same size as Wemberly I think I read. He had it reduced in size to make his style of retro-football more effective. New Age Man Ryan Lowe insists on an open attacking style, keeping the ball on the ground. That style is now part of the club's charter, including bringing up youngsters that way in the Academy. When the pitch undergoes its Summer refurbishment, should it be changed back to its original size to give us more room to play around visiting sides?

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Looking at pitch photos...I wouldn't think there's any width to gain....so is it still the Adams width at the moment.....?

4. notDistantGreen

I think so. There's quite a bit of astroturf around the edges. It's probably not a vast amount, maybe 3 metres on the width and the length... but if Adams thought it was worth reducing then it could be worth putting back.

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Spring indeed.............it's still bleddy freezing.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It's 12 months today since Argyle had a full crowd at Home Park.....Argyle...3-0...Macclesfield...att 12,310....then lockdown arrived.

7. notDistantGreen

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'm not sure that I'm getting good value for ifollow's £10's worth.

I am getting the screen freezing so many times....I have turn my computer off and rebooted to make sure that it isn't my end....but it doesn't improve the experience....last Saturdays Doncaster match the game was nearly 15 minutes in before I got a screen that stayed unfrozen for at least a minute or so.....and of course by then we were 1-0 down,
    The picture quality isn't that good either at times.....and I have watched Argyle games sometime with a commentary from another match for some minutes at the beginning....it is bad enough having to listen to commentary from an Exeter game that has started earlier before the Argyle match kicks-off....even if Exeter are losing.

10. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

I'm having NO problems my end, very good picture and sound.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Okay goody two shoes....:rolleyes:.........your only problem Tuesday evening was......you only got 1pt.....:p.....<doh>.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Not had one problem with iFollow all season.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Quite prepared to take the blame for some of the problems....but how the hell could I be at fault for wrong match commentary.

14. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Ah yes....you noticed...bloody Bears.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There is a choice of home or away commentary. Not sure about the how and why you pick one but that's what son tells me. Maybe you click on the wrong one.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

No obvious choice that I can see....but to have commentary of another match is beyond belief.

Maybe because your in the Argyle catchment area you automatically get the right commentary.....I sometimes get a commentator for away games who sounds so bored and whose voice levels never change...,.and sought of says 'oh by the way a goal has been scored'...and at times is talking of something else when something significant has just happened on the pitch.....you think at times the commentator has drawn the short straw and has been given the match more as a punishment.

Maybe their just watching the came on screen....and are actually in Timbuktu.....:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  17. notDistantGreen

How are you connecting to the Internet Plym? Video streaming needs a quick and robust connection.

Also, when do you connect? The club has urged us to buy passes early. I do mine on the day before. They didn't say why but I wonder if at some point bandwidth is allocated to each game according to the number of passes sold. There are a lot of games being streamed to a lot of homes: it's a lot of data to be handled. After some problems early in the season, I've started logging on an hour before the game starts. Since then, I've had few problems. That may be my imagination of course but give it a try.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

BT internet connection....I generally buy mine 3hrs before the match.....just in case WW3 starts before kick-off and the match gets cancelled.....:rolleyes:.

I'll give it a go this weekend...I'll buy early and turn on early....why I normally don't turn on early is advertising over the match screen and then all the Exeter this Exeter that guff....plus Exeter rugby as well....sometimes you would get some interesting pre-match chat going on.....and then advertising would cut it off mid sentence.

I normally don't tune in early because I'm using the internet for other sporty things.....and I always like to post the Argyle playing line-up on here before the match starts.

19. notDistantGreen

What speed are you getting from your connection? There's a speed checker here from a safe site.

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/broadband-test

I don't know what IFollow recommend but 50 mbps download speed is probably a minimum.

I'm getting around 100mbps from WiFi in the room I watch in. That tells you that WiFi isn't good for this as we're on a 350mbps connection at the kerb. I don't know where your router is relative to your TV but if you could connect your laptop to the router via an ethenet cable instead of WiFi youd be a lot better off. I can't do that here.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

notDistant I've sent you a message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.