1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I don’t understand why you think shale gas is somehow “better” than any other methane gas when it comes to emissions. One molecule of pure methane produces one molecule of carbon dioxide and 2 of water vapour. That’s the same whether the methane comes from the North Sea, a Russian pipeline, or from underneath Lancashire. You still get carbon dioxide, which is the main greenhouse gas responsible for climate change. And the environmental risks of the fracking process itself far outweigh any short term economic advantage from getting so-called cheap gas. I repeat, absolute madness.

Since the UN report the other day the urgency to tackle anything responsible for global warming has shifted up several gears. We need to introduce offshore and onshore wind farms, on a massive scale, and start giving out full cost grants for domestic solar arrays. On a larger scale, tidal barrages and osmotic pressure generators can work constantly, independent of the weather. We can produce 95% of our energy needs from renewables within a very short time, but shale gas extraction is a massive backward step.

StJabbo and Schrodinger's Cat like this.
  2. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

I am just repeating what I have read in the few articles this morning, which claimed the emissions were lower with shale gas than other fossil fuels. I did say that the articles were relatively old (2013 the latest one) so more recent research has probably been done. I don't necessarily agree with fracking (I don't have enough knowledge to say one way or the other) but the fact it is cheap will always sway decisions like this.

3. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

A Norwegian trade union leader has been looking into the number of deaths among the migrants building the stadia for the Qatar World Cup.
    His comment is terrifying.

“"If we were to hold a minute of silence for every estimated death of a migrant worker due to the constructions of the Qatar World Cup, the first 44 matches of the tournament would be played in silence," he said.”

4. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Crumbs........at that rate they will smash the Pyramids record!
    How is this going under the radar?

5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

https://news.sky.com/story/barcelon...s-building-permit-130-years-too-late-11529213
    A building permit has been granted for the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona 130 years after building started. Apparently has been listed as an empty plot for all those years. In Britain, they would be ordered to pull it down<laugh>

For anyone who hasn't seen it, it looks like an evil witch's castle dropped from outer space into a modern city. Interesting, but ugly. The inside, however, is attractive and based on a forest and other natural features.

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I cancelled Sky today. :)

7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Bit harsh, he never even posts on this board anymore.

thereisonlyoneno7 and fatletiss like this.
  8. fatletiss

Yeah but he’s a scally

Libby likes this.
  9. Libby

Libby 9-0

Well there is that :bandit:

10. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

I pay for Amazon Prime mainly for the free shipping when I buy stuff but the tv is pretty good too, £79 per year I think. I stream nearly everything else. I dumped Sky about 2 years ago and have saved a fortune since

11. fatletiss

Yep, I have amazon prime and will get Netflix too.

12. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I find there are so few programs I watch on normal TV now - and when I do it is normally on catchup.

TV viewing habits have changed, who remembers the "Who shot JR" saga from Dallas in the 80s when the show was aired in the US then the film roll put on a plane to bring to the UK. Somehow it was largely kept a secret until 8pm that evening when it was aired in the UK. Can you imagine that happening now :)

I tend to binge watch series now, so Netflix and Prime are great for that. Along with ITV Player and BBC iPlayer etc, there is hardly any need for an aerial any more. VM & Sky are just too much money for what they offer and unless you use a bit of jiggery pokery you need a box in every room. Grab yourself a Fire TV/Apple TV etc and that is all you need.

Stupidly I am stuck in a contract with Virgin until Feb - once that is up, it goes. I have Sky Sports, but can't remember the last time I actually watched it - I prefer the NBC Sports coverage on a stream etc. I have Sky Cinema as the way Virgin Media discounts work, it was cheaper to have that with the sports than just the sports. I have never watched a film on Sky Cinema...

Anyway must watch shows at the moment for me are on iPlayer and free :)

The Bodyguard - BBC iPlayer
    The Informer - BBC iPlayer
    Killing Eve - BBC iPlayer

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  13. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Just a slight rant, but why are people so egocentric? It annoys me reading comments on social media and the BBC HYS pages that people seem to think that the entire universe caters for their likes and dislikes, what they believe in and what they don't believe in. Like if they don't like something, then it is inherently objectively bad and they'll literally go on HYSs or post on Facebook saying this thing that I don't like shouldn't exist or be covered or whatever because I don't like it. Newsflash the universe doesn't revolve around you. I personally hate rugby but I have never been on a rugby HYS to say how much I hate rugby and that there shouldn't be any coverage of it because I realise that the universe doesn't revolve around me and other people may like it and my own likes and dislikes don't trump other people's views. And it's like with transgender rights, so many people are so transphobic and deliberately misgender people, and it's like... why? Okay, you might not like the fact that someone is trans but it's not affecting your life in any way so just let them be and don't deliberately be a dick (no pun intended). Live and let live. I wrote something like that on a question time post on Facebook and someone replied that because gender reassignment is funded by the NHS, it's negatively impacting the tax payer but that's the same egocentric universe-revolving-around-me point of view. I mean, the point of tax isn't that it only goes towards the things you like and none of the things you dislike. And the amount of comments on any American Football HYS on the beeb is ridiculous. Okay, you don't like American Football, that's your own opinion, but when you're saying it shouldn't be covered because you don't like it, why should your view count for more than anyone elses? Gah, humanity annoys me sometimes.

14. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

and .... relax

davecg69 likes this.
  15. fran-MLs little camera

Under no circumstances should anyone mention women's football:bandit:

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  16. Schrodinger's Cat

PL, people can put what they want on this type of forum. The thing is that their opinions don't count either. Its just words, and it doesn't sway the population, or influence politicians and what they are saying can just be ignored, or passed by. By getting upset by it, you actually make their opinions count, even if it's just to you...
    You have to realise that even if you disagree, or the posts upset you, it's all ultimately meaningless internet white noise.
    As SiS says, relax, because until you do you are just validating people's posts and giving things credence that isn't merited.

:emoticon-0103-cool:

17. fran-MLs little camera

So Harry Redknapp is going to Australia to be in 'I'm a celebrity...'. What have the slugs and bugs done to deserve that. <laugh>

davecg69 likes this.
  18. Schrodinger's Cat

Maybe something more unpleasant than him will take a bite - if there is such a creature

19. fatletiss

Harry: “Hey Niko - pack your Case son, I’ve got us another gig”

Niko: “ Where we going Boss?”

Harry: “Australia”

Niko: “Brisbane Lions?”

Harry: “yep, son - right in the jungle”

20. fran-MLs little camera

I have less money than the people who go on 'I'm a Celebrity' and yet I would never go on it. I don't do discomfort or peril...and I won't even eat a prawn, so not even 100K would make me go on that programme. And I'm not even joking...no way.