1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Having looked into it last night briefly , the only only way I’d get in is if I lied on the form, and even then it’s a risk. Decided it’s not worth the agg.

2. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Go to Canada instead. Plenty of fun to be had there now they've legalized cannabis. :)

sotonsaint likes this.
  3. sotonsaint

Wouldn’t get in the country bud, this is the problem <laugh>

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to wonder if we should let you be in the UK<laugh>

Schrodinger's Cat and San Tejón like this.
  5. sotonsaint

:(

6. fran-MLs little camera

Don't be sad....you have to stick with family. :)

7. sotonsaint

You haven’t met my family!! <laugh>

8. fran-MLs little camera

An example of how strict US passport control are....and also how bloody-minded. A woman that I met in Ireland had been a nun working in the USA for 40 years but had returned home in her old age (she was 90). My sister-in-law offered to accompany her back to America to say a last goodbye to her convent and church. They both obtained visas, but went through customs separately. The nun (in her habit) didn't appear the other side. After several hours of panic my sister-in-law discovered that she had been arrested because she had proferred her out-of-date green card in error instead of her legitimate visa. It took them more hours to get her through.

Now I understand the initial alert because her green card was out of date, but she was an elderly lady with a genuine visa....it was obviously an error, easily sorted you would have thought.

9. sotonsaint

Can’t trust anyone these days in those circumstances , sadly the state of the world we live in.

10. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I used to know someone who dressed up as a nun but wasn’t very good. She didn’t make a habit out of it...

...I’m here all week :)

saintrichie123 likes this.

11. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Just got in from seeing First Man. Utterly brilliant. Claire Foy is a genius. Go and see it!

12. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

13. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

14. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

The original judge really needs to be held accountable for not declaring his personal connection to the oil-gas industry and for not removing himself from the case.
    The length of sentence was also inexcusable.

15. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

I am pretty (very) clueless when it comes to fracking. I understand that by drilling into the ground it increases chances of earthquakes but what else is there on the negative side? As to me the gas they are drilling for is renewable isn't it and any type of renewable energy should be encouraged?

16. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Of course the gas isn’t renewable, it’s a fossil fuel, which also produces carbon dioxide when burnt. We simply don’t need any more fossil fuel exploration in this day and age, as we have the technology to provide the vast majority of our energy needs with wind, water, and solar power. It’s essential for climate change management that we stop using fossil fuels as soon as possible, preferably immediately.

Fracking, as well as causing earthquakes, has been known to cause pollution of the water table. It’s a very dirty way of making lots of money for the drillers, for something we don’t need. If they started doing it near me I would, literally, put my body in their way.

tomw24 and Schrodinger's Cat like this.
  17. Saintmagic

My mistake, I thought it was renewable for some reason. Just done a little research myself and the articles I have read indicate that it isn't as bad as other fossil fuels and is cheaper than other alternatives. I can see why they have allowed it on that basis. The articles are pretty old though so I'm assuming more research would have been done since they were written.

18. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Of course that pillock of a President across the Pond is still insisting there is nothing to worry about. <doh>

19. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Except the government accept we need to cut back on CO2 emissions sooner rather than later. Why would they allow extraction of fossil fuels which will only prolong and worsen global warming? It’s madness, except I imagine that like the judge in this court case, they have vested interests.

20. Saintmagic

Because I think they acknowledge, rightly or wrongly, that we can't go cold turkey on fossil fuels and if there is one (like this gas) which is better than others than it is better to allow it and move away from the "worse" ones like coal. As I mentioned the articles I read said the main pro about fracking is it is cheap, so if the cost and emissions are better than other fossil fuels then it makes sense to allow it and try and move away from other fossil fuels.

In the long term though we obviously need to be doing all we can to eventually move to sustainable energy sources with low/zero emissions, but that isn't going to happen over night for a number of reasons. It will be a gradual process.