1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

SOS for Non-League

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by devonFRATTONiser, Sep 24, 2020.

1. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rather than 'spam' all of the Premier league sites with the same story, I thought I'd come straight to the top; the board of the current Premier League Champions.

The following link give some rather sobering reading for supporters of teams that include individual players on weekly wages of seven figure sums. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54266862

Many of you will recall the 2007-08 season, when (my '2nd team') Havant & Waterlooville came to Anfield in the Fourth Round of the FA Cup and took the lead, not once but twice, before eventually going down 5-2.

The Hawks are in the sixth tier (National League South) and are therefore one of the clubs referred to by Darryl Eales in his comment.

Te sum of £25 million would be a mere £1.25 million each if every Premier League Club put their hand into their pocket - loose change for clubs on the receiving end of the wealth that the TV rights and Premier League prize money, which pours into them as if it is going out of fashion.

While Premier League sides can still balance their books with healthy profits, even with empty stadiums, those at the lower reaches rely on the gate receipts for the lion's share of their income.

On 16th September Macclesfield Town of the National League were wound up in the high court with debts 'exceeding £500,000' - barely a month's wages for a top player at some clubs https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54177582

The second wave of Covid-19 will now deprive these side of their main source of income. It is inevitable that, without help, some of these side could cease to exist.

Is a £1.25 Million donation to the National League from each Premier League club too much to ask for, to save the livelihoods of over 60 football clubs?

Would you deprive people from places like Torquay, Blyth and Chippenham of such an experience as this?

saintKlopp likes this.
  2. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

No it’s not much to ask. The players could easily contribute too. I personally will contribute if there is a suitable fund raiser. It is imperative that these clubs survive in any form.

organic red likes this.
  3. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

I don't think there are any PL players on a seven figure weekly wage mate but I get the sentiment of your message. Every PL team could help out and I hope they all do <ok>

devonFRATTONiser likes this.
  4. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Just impose a 1% tax on agent fees and the lower leagues are funded for life

5. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I meant to say six figure <laugh>