1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic SO NOW WE HAVE TO VOTE TO PUT MEPS BACK AT BRUSSELS

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by johngalleyfan2, May 12, 2019.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

The amazing thing is when I go to the NW of Scotland where the internet when available is measured in kb's newspapers are almost a day late and most people don't bother with them anyway you sort of lose track of what was going on when you left, become absorbed in the luxury of normal conversation, peace tranquillity and breathe real pure clean air .. eat scallops languitines and lobster the occasional crab fresh from the sea [ less than a couple hours ] indeed watched a chap in Lyme Regis by the chip shop sorting scallops last year [BY THE COB] and said to him … guess you will sorting them to go back …. " f*** me no, these are the large ones, those medium and those small".. the large were the size of my palm, just, the ones we ate in Scotland, caught ourselves, were around 7" and some 3" thick …… 2 made a meal...

However, the first thing I heard when I got back to the grime and hustle bustle was Cor boliks STATING " we will give all 16 and 17 year olds the minimum wage of £10...…….. which also means everyone under 25? will be on it! Suicide for the youngsters me thinks …. having employed peeps in the past, the one thing you look for is employing people that will stick to a job because they need the security.. married kids house etc … they tend to be more responsible and conscientious and reliable... youngsters, and employed them, do tend to be less conscientious and less reliable and lacking in responsibility ….
    Can the country actually afford to pay 40% of the staff that make up our basic " retail needs" or apprenticeship candidates. … would you be happy paying another 10-15% more for your food or burgher etc …. would supermarkets prefer to employ wet behind the "kids" £10 hr or £10 to an established person with mortgage family etc! I do not Think so …………
    THE REASON youngsters get paid less is that they have to build up the knowledge, attitude, responsibility from being mollycuddled [ as we mostly all were] by our parents ….

Last election it was buying votes via "no student fee's " the next seems to be buying votes by paying potential voters more money ……………. the losers will be "THE UNITED KINGDOM" the next financial BLACK hole they generate may put us into the realms of the list " the 10 richest countries that are now in the top 20 of the poorest"

2. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I was starting to miss our arguments JGF <laugh>. Now we're back in business :emoticon-0167-beer:.

If a 16 year old is doing the same job as a 24 year old to the same standard, then I can see the argument - why should they be paid less? Though economy-wise and whether the country can afford it, I have no idea, so not sure whether it's a good idea or not. We'd have to see some numbers.

3. johngalleyfan2

the simplicity is just check the world economy for the template... why buy goods from China or send shellfish from the Scottish coast to be processed in Thailand before being sent back here to end up in our supermarkets!
    Age UK minimum wage per hour Minimum wage from April 2019
    25 years and older £7.83 £8.21
    21–24 years £7.38 £7.70
    18–20 years £5.90 £6.15
    Under 18 years £4.20 £4.35
    Apprentice £3.70 £3.90

Assume Tesco has 100 employee's in a store [ not managers and bear in mind they make most of their profit from the little stores by the way ].
    25 of them are under 18 [ most on the tills and majority female ]
    they already get above minimum wage of up to £8 an hour ave £7.52. Based on £2 . 50 x 40 hours x52 weeks x 25 = £162,000 you also have 75 other staff earning up to £10 ave £8.20 probably about 1.70 less = £380,000 a total of circa £542,000 for the larger stores EACH
    BEAR IN MIND THEY have 3400 stores so just assume we look at the top 900 stores which have around 100 staff average that is 900 x 542,000 = £487 million or be very kind on the other 2500 stores and say added cost is a mere £500m = almost [ probably more ] £1bn a year allowing for pension NIns etc etc = ZERO profit … so job losses [ = poorer service] or price hikes [ impacts on customers, we pay more ] or leave as it is for the general progress from learning to full adulthood and responsibility etc takes it course.
    as an aside
    a study done by an acquaintance who 8 years ago was a uni student [knew him for 3 years just recently re met ] .. on students leaving at 5 uni's 6 years ago showed 81% had attitude with student loans it was free and a good crack as they were never likely to be any more than a labourer or did jobs that would mean they didn't have to pay it back.. about 3% but said could be higher as some did not want to reveal their status [ job wise ] were actually benefitting from uni.. about 12% said it hindered their job applications .. under or over qualified … 23% said never bothered to say went to uni just got good exam results and had time off from school to seeking a first full time job … !

4. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

This will ruin many youngsters chances of starting their careers.
    Why?
    You get older, so you know you will be entitled to a pay rise when you get to 18.
    Does this mean you pay tax at 16 too? I bet not.
    This means that when you turn 18 you won’t get a pay rise - but you start to pay tax.
    Utter balderdash

5. johngalleyfan2

…. oh yes you do labours way of bumping up the tax revenue … it means that a "under" 18 y o will expect to earn between £18 k to £21k [ 35 -40 hour week ] so start paying after £12.5k … so that's about £108 a week tax ...then 12% for N Ins … another ave £42 per week then pension about 4% [ you can bet your bottom an employer aint goin to pay more than the minimum so another [adjusted] 3% … £11 per week total from £350 gross is £190 take home or equivalent to £9880 a year … doing 35 hours at £6.50 = £227 less NI AND PENSION = £31 = TAKE HOME = £196 OR EQUIVALENT TO £10,192

Yea but wont actually be a shock will it as you already pay tax...……… on the same wage for 9 years with the government setting any annual pay rise by upping the minimum rate … being labour they will be in such a deep s**t pit no rises for 20 years … starting wage for over 25's likely to start at a bit above minimum as employers if any left don't have the sales to pay any higher … mass exodus to other parts of the world to earn more as UK is now one the previously richest countries now in the top half of the the poorest 20!