1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Simply the best!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by RSS, May 27, 2011.

1. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Over the last decade there has been many popular and talented players that have donned the mighty saints kit. Reminiscing a bit, but who would be your favourite 3 players to have worn the shirt in the last decade?
    • Favourite 3 players?
    • Most talented/best 3 players?

And on a seperate but similar notion, if you selected an entire team of your best players from the last 10 years, would any of the current crop be in that team?

2. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No

Niemi
    Dodd Lundekvam Svensson Bridge
    Svensson Oakley Marsden Bale
    Beattie Pahars

Given time however, and I'm sure Fonte, Schneiderlin, Lallana and/or Chamberlain could force their way in.

3. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Welcome to the Saints site. We look forward to your contribution. If you experience any problems do not hesitate to pm either Kingslandsfc or my self and we will gladly try and help. In the meantime please tell your friends about the site. It does not matter who they support all are catered for on here.............Enjoy.

4. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Yes Fonte perhaps would have fitted in well with the teams of the past.

My favorite players of the past.......... Ron Davis.........Micky Channon.........Matt Le Tissier........Terry Paine......... Derek Reeves...... Peter Osgood....... Alan Ball ...... Kevin Keegan..............Just to name a few.......I know you only wanted 3 but tell you what, pick any of that lot and I'll be happy!!

5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Favourite 3: Le Tiss, Pahars and Svensson.
    Honourable mention for much loved: Francis Benali

6. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

In my opinion anyone pulling on a Saints shirt is the best.

However here are my favorite 3 players of the last 10 years:

Morgan
    Gareth Bale
    Theo

And the three most talented:

Morgan
    Gareth Bale
    Jose

Remember: They cannot be our rivals for we have ambition whilst they have none.

7. Piebacca

Piebacca Well-Known Member

I always liked Franny Benali. You could see when he was winding up to ruthlessly foul somebody.:)

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Favourite player ever was Steve Williams.

Last 10 years: Niemi, Svensson M, Marsden

9. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

From the last 10 years;

Gareth Bale - Only a brief appearance in relevance to the time period, but to watch a 17/18 year old dominate games of football from left back was just extraordinary. After the injuries and loss of form at the start of his spuds career the rest of the country/world finally got to see the kids ability.

Claus Lundekvam - A great defender, strong in the air and comfortable on the floor. Read the game well and allowed more robust and quicker defenders like Richards & Svensson the opportunity to attack the ball. Fonte has at last filled his shoes

Marians Pahars - More of an emotional selection than anything else. Injury hampered much of the latter stages of his career, but he had an incredible ability and took to Southampton as much as we took to him. Goal against Pompey will be the most recent highlight, but his partnership with Beattie was probabley the last great strike partnership the Saints have had.

In terms of skill/talent

Adam Lallana - It's a joy to watch him turn on a sixpence.
    Gareth Bale - PFA player of the year
    Belmadi - I liked him :)

10. Itchen North Matt

Itchen North Matt Active Member

I only got to a few games prior to relegation from the PL, so can only really comment on players after then.

Favourites:
    - Adam Lallana
    - Chris Perry
    - Kelvin Davis

Most talented:
    - Gareth Bale
    - Kenwyne Jones
    - Adam Lallana

11. Spiderman_UTS

Spiderman_UTS Member

No one ever has telfer, fanandes or quashie in there top players shame on you all lmao

12. Wisescummer

Wisescummer Active Member

I actually quite liked Fernandes as a player...

Picking a favourite three is difficult, because I like all the Saints players until they bad mouth us when they leave. Niemi, Gillet and Anders Svensson do stand out though.

Most talented players would probably have to be Niemi, Michael Svensson and Pahars.

13. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The trouble is that you think you pick the best and then someone throws another name in the pot. Niemi was a brilliant goalkeeper. It's easy to point at goals scored for strikers/midfielders and to mistakes of goalkeepers. We're not so good at looking at points saved by goalkeepers. We've had some good keepers over the years and Niemi was, arguably, the best.

14. Wisescummer

I just love him for that last minute goal at Fulham. He comes up from the back a la Schmeichel, the corner goes straight to him, he smacks one of the best volleys i've seen since Le Tis onto the bar, Svenson nods it in, pandemonium ensues. Plus of couse the fact that he would ave you at 10 points a season.

15. Wisescummer

16. SFC4BAG

SFC4BAG Well-Known Member

From last decade though

Lallana, Benalli, M Svensson

I loved Ron DAVIES and feel he would be breaking all records with Lallana and Chamberlain making chances for him. Though with Terry Paine and John Sydenham we would be ok as well as they were both really good at doing just that for him.

17. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

haha genius....'he's finnish,.. but he's only 28'. Radio phone in's, always good for a laugh!

Favourite 3: Ostlund, Viafara and Niemi
    Talented 3: Bale, Niemi and Lallana

Although Walcott, K. Jones had/have potentially a lot of talent, i don't see either progressing any further then they have got. Hopefully Bale can keep injury free and continue to shine, its always nice to see ex-saints do well, particularly ones from the academy.