1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Silk Scarves - does anybody else still have one?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Riever, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

At the bottom of my wardrode resides a SAFC 1973 Cup Winners silk scarf that my Gran bought me for my birthday that year.

My Missus who is a good bit younger than me claims never to have seen a silk football scarf and whilst it is not something I have seen at the match recently I didn't think they were that rare.

Does anyone else still have one?

2. talcnturnip

talcnturnip Well-Known Member

I've got one mate not sure when or where I got it red silk ish white Sunderland with a badge either side a shield with red and white stripes inside with a black cat sat on a ball

3. Davie 1973

Davie 1973 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen one since the mid 70s. Never had one though , I'm a wooly muffler man.

4. bonnybobbypark

bonnybobbypark Well-Known Member

By gum! This takes me back!

100% pure nylon if I remember correctly!

Anyone else old enough (or daft enough) to remember tying your scarves round your wrists!

I was a three-scarf man. One round each wrist, one round me neck!!!!!!!!

I was sooooo cool!

x

5. MackemsRule

MackemsRule Well-Known Member

Aye tied round the wrist so no twat could snatch it from your neck.

One of the best laughs I ever had was after a game the crowd was huge walking away from the match.
    A coach full of Everton supporters was driving past, somewhere near the Ropery if I remember right.
    Arms out of the windows giving us all the V sign and screaming abuse.
    The coach got slowed in the traffic.
    Loads of the lads ran at the coach braying on the windows.
    One lad had his arm out and I just knew I was gonna have that scarf off his wrist.
    I was about 15, ran took a running jump and just couldn't reach it, with him screaming "****er" and laughing.
    I was trotting along beside the coach for another go when hands grabbed me and lifted me higher. (No idea who it was.) I grabbed the scarf but it didn't slide off, it tightened on his wrist. :p
    There was no way I was going to give up and I hung on for dear life as the coach speeded up.
    I could hear him screaming as his arm was getting pulled through the little coach window.
    About Monkwearmouth station he managed to get his wrist free and I fell to the ground with my prize.

I had quite a lot of stuff I kept from those days including the silk scarves and tops.
    A pair of George Best footy boots etc.
    My autograph books, and my prized possession the complete 66 World cup coin collection collected with petrol.
    I had them all stored in bags in the loft.
    My wife had a clear out of bags of baby and children's clothes and I can only assume thats where my little collection went. :(

6. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

Silk scarves were perfect for the wrist.!!!! That is where I used to wear mine many many years ago!

7. Lever Malone

Lever Malone Member

I remember going to Manchester City. 1973 FA Cup with scarves tied around each wrist and another round my neck. Getting loads of abuse from the City fans asking why I had wasted my money to see my team get hammered. At least I had the last laugh that year.

8. billofengland

billofengland Well-Known Member

Yeah but not silk, satin at best, and not very nice, still its a keepsake. Might be worth fifty pence to my great great great grandkids.

9. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

I have one from the milk cup final 1985.