1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Should the club sell Ronaldo?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cytrax, Jul 2, 2022.

?

Should the club sell Ronaldo?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

With the news coming out this morning that Ronaldo wants with likely reason being to pursue personal record in CL, I am of the opinion that this is a good thing for the club. It will allow Ten Hag to truly remove remnants of last season and build a team that is not so focused on individuals that may become source of unrest as we move forward.

This is an opportunity and United should accept the transfer question, even if it involves selling him to rival club.

Even without buying a new striker, perhaps Ten Hag can bring the best out of the likes of Rashford, draft in some youths like Garnacho and drive forward from there. Garnacho is certainly not too young to start in the first team. The generation players usually start early.

Feel free to cast your vote and state your reasons.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yes, they should.

That said, who are the true candidates to win the CL, because that's seemingly what he 'wants', a team he can bolt onto for his own personal gain? (allegedly)

Genuine candidates;

City, Liverpool, PSG, Real, Bayern?

If he were to sign for City or Liverpool the bloke is dead to me.

I guess his best best would be Bayern (who won't win it anyway) or back to Real.

Cheerio.

3. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Chelsea seem to be the only likely candidate. City won’t dare note that they signed Haarland. Liverpool don’t have the need either. Or maybe clubs in Italy. They like older players out there.

4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Can't see any club in Italy winning a champions league any time soon, he tried that with Juve and failed.

Chelsea are an option I suppose.

Arsehole if he does.

I mean, I agree with whoever said this earlier. We've not been qualified for the CL since May. Why not just **** off then?

Doesn't matter who we sign, we can't sign up for next season in the champion league, regardless.

Easiest thing he could do is try it with PSG and see if they finally break the duck. Assume Zidane could be their next manager, who he's worked under before.

cytrax likes this.
  5. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Surely he’s not stupid enough to think that he is going to win Champion’s League ever again. It’s always a lottery with Real Madrid being the only consistent winner. But there’s no way they are going to be stupid enough to take him back at his age.

I suspect that this is more about enhancing his goal scoring record in the competition which is just plain idiotic to think that may be the driving force behind this commotion.

But you said it best, why now? Why not make that known even as far as April when it was clear we were not in contention to reach top 4?

Whatever his reasons are, there’s no mistaking that it is driven by either selfishness to pursue his record, or fear that the new manager does not see him as central to the rebuilding process. Either way, it’s ego all the way!

Maybe he’ll end up in Inter Miami which will confirm that he is afraid of becoming irrelevant under the new manager.

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Quick Google and all the British media are saying he wants to play in the champions league and give all the options, Bayern and Chelsea having both 'shown an interest'.

Most, in the same breath, then claim Ten Hag is cool with it as it would allow him to sign Antony; along with de Jong, Malacia and Martinez.

So, what to actually believe, eh? Do we believe one thing, but not the new signings bit?

7. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Bayern may use him to replace Lewandoski. Which again would be a dumb move for them to replace a 33 year old with a 38 year old.

As for Chelsea, I would love them to take Ronaldo. It will be their undoing as well. Especially now that it appears that the only thing that Ronaldo cares about is personal glory as the expense of everything else.

It stinks that we are actually having this discussion. Such a useless distraction!

8. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

As I stated earlier in another thread there as many pros as cons in the event he leaves.

I’ve been a fan since he joined first time and he’s been at the very top of the tree although not as good now as he was at Madrid. I agree with Chellini the Juventus captain who said although he was a world class striker who scored the most goals in the Italian league the team played better when he left. Paradox? Not really. Like I said many times here last season, his goals are welcome , especially those last minutes ones in the CL or in the premiership when he took the game by the scruff of the neck. But the team as a whole never reached its potential. There was fragmentation of views within the team and the poverty of the managers became more obvious. They simply couldn’t manage an older world class player such as Ronaldo AND get the others playing as a team too. It accelerated oles confusion and downfall. Rangnick was not better.

I would see more pros than cons in his departure if the objective we set Ten Hag is to build a competitive team in the LONG term. If we want to have a much better season in 22/23 May be his goals might help IF ten Hag can harness his presence and ability in the right way.

of course his leaving will be massive news and another negative that the media and press will pin on the club. “Sliding club, rock bottom “ types of headlines but for me like Chief I won’t be spilling any tears or rage. Unless he goes to the RS or City.

EDIT: And the club’s public stance on his statement is the right one BTW. He is contracted to the club for another year and if he wants to leave or another club wants him then the prospective new club must pay a fee thats acceptable to Utd.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  9. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

He was a mistake from the outset. OGS was primed to start the season in promising fashion having improved the side the season before but had CR foisted on him by Woodward. Can anyone honestly see pep trying to play him in the Man City side, of course not, it was all hype and spin - United were mugged in that sense and Woodward got caught in the headlights - again and jumped to sign him
    Yes I concede that he has scored a shed load of goals, but I still think he was not a disruptive influence, but he certainly was a divisive figure in and around OT - disputes with the captain, complaining about the facilities, ****ing off to Portugal to heal some imaginary injury every time Rangnick dropped him.....all these things have had an unsettling effect - not to mention the likes of Pogba and other big earners had their noses put out of joint by his arrival and the money he was being paid.
    I hope we get rid, or failing that, EtH presses on with his own plans rather than having to design a style of play around Ronaldo.- as did OGS and Rangnick.

Christiansmith and cytrax like this.
  10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Maybe he just wants to see more ambition from the club? I don't begrudge him that, so would I !

11. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

In that case, hang around and inspire your peers to better themselves, don't throw your toys out of the pram and taint your legacy

cytrax and Diego like this.
  12. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Bingo!!

He’s 37 for crying out loud, yet so darn entitled and not come to terms that his best days are effectively behind him. He failed with the team and it puzzles me why he thinks he deserves Champion’s League over everyone else.

We shouldn’t keep him! Get someone else to pay his high wages.

Diego likes this.
  13. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

This annoys me every time i hear it from any player, if your that ****ing good then help the team your'e at get CL.

OK, i know it doesn't work when some amazing player suddenly breaks out at Watford or somewhere but most of these players are already at teams that should be capable of achieving it yet instead of pushing them want to go where someone else has already done the work for them.

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

The bloke's literally spent last season trying to inspire his peers to better themselves and doing his best to get the team into the CL.

The irony that he should expect more ambition from the club after him doing just that, seems to be lost on ppl here.

Some very odd thinking, especially when folk themselves are critical of the way the club are conducting business at the moment.

Fwiw 12 years ago Rooney was asking the exact same of the club.

Diego likes this.
  15. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

May not have comer over as i intended, my hatred is for players moving with the "i wan't to play CL" as an excuse who then move to a club that are in the CL for the first time in years (or even ever). It just seems like an excuse for the move rather than a genuine reason.
    Rough example, why move to a club who finished 4th instead of one who finished 5th, sign a 5 year contract for possibly 1 season in CL no. They just think the wage negotiations will be better when CL is on the table.

Treble likes this.
  16. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Except we are not getting paid millions of pounds by the club. If every player leaves their club because things turned rough, what do you think that would do to the teams that are not in CL?

Rooney’s situation was completely different, btw. And didn’t he subsequently apologize?

Diego likes this.
  17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Why should that matter if his motivation is for the club to match his ambitions? If he thinks they're not, he's probably the only one in that squad who's earned the right to express it.

And what's he doing wrong exactly? If he's saying the club lacks ambition and he wants to leave then what else is he supposed to do? I don't see a problem with it. I'd prefer him to leave on a high having won another trophy with us, but if he wants to leave now for the reasons he's stated fair enough. There's no anger or upset or criticism from me towards him at all.

18. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

The man came into a team that had finished 2nd the previous season and had CL to play in, now with him we finished 6th (**** happens) but he is not prepared to help us get back into the top 4 after being involved in us losing it?

cytrax likes this.
  19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

That's got to be the strangest post I've read on this thread <laugh>

20. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

He want's to play CL (which is why he says he want's to leave for big trophies) yet he came with that chance and helped blow it.
    Now he's not prepared to fight for another chance but want's to walk into a team where other players have already set that up for him.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.