1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Should Hanging be re-instated!

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Norwayhornet, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

With Advances in DNA testing and the forensic sciences ,Would Hanging be a deterrent against crimes such as murder or rape!
    Or would the element of doubt even 0.001 % dissuade you
    There are many arguments and debates on this topic
    Would it help bring serious crime rates down?
    Is it too barbaric for the modern day ?
    Would you instead go for chemical execution deterrent!
    Your views and opinions please!

2. Bradleysdad

Bradleysdad Member

Absolutely not, I don't go for this 'eye for an eye' malarky. The mark of a society is how it treats its criminals which is explained in this clip far better than I ever could http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrjbL4eedkQ&feature=related (its a bit long but is one of the best acting scenes there is IMHO)

Even a 0.0001% chance they did not do it is enough. The fact is it doesn't act as a deterrent as the murder rates in the US show and it especially wouldn't in a crime of passion when it is a spur of the moment job.

3. LuxWFC

LuxWFC Member

The deathrow in America is very inefficient though, even if you were to kill someone and be sentenced to death there's a 20 year waiting list.

Leaving aside the chances of getting the wrong person....which right now is too high to ignore.....it's simply cheaper to keep someone in prison all their life than to kill them.

A single bullet to the head in itself is not expensive at all, but there will be years of legal battles and the "humane" procedures themselves are costly. The world today is full of human rights laws and all kinds of other exaggerated rights which cost taxpayers too much money

For me every person should have a chance at redemption, though for re offenders of extreme crimes I wouldn't be against the death penalty, so long as it is run efficiently.

4. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Just make life mean life, lock the filth up and throw away the key...no parole, no TV's, no special treatment - just ****e food and make them sow mail bags..

5. harrowhorn

harrowhorn Active Member

I'm not convinced one way or another, however recent economic developments make it clear that there is not an unlimited pot of money for public services; one child raping murderer in a high security jail costs as much to keep for a year as 4 nurses' wages. How should it be spent?

6. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. No-one should be expected to take such a decision. Because the crime is appalling, we should not ask an innocent person to decide on someone else's death.

But as for hanging on...

7. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

I know doing it this way is unpaletable for several reasons. But I think the government should look into the pros and cons of giving those on a life sentence (regardless of whether it is a whole life tariff) the right to die.

8. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

Yes and death by firing squad and bring back the stocks as well. The mark of a good society is how it treats its law abiding citizens not how it treats scum which in my mind waive their human rights as soon as they start to behave like animals, actually I take that back as it insults animals who should have more rights than rapists and murderers.

9. Saxet

Saxet Well-Known Member

As some comedian once said....

As most US states are moving towards outlawing the death penalty, my state is installing a fast checkout lane.

Now guess that state. Hardly tricky is it ?

10. Norwayhornet

Welcome Saxet<ok>

11. Saxet

Saxet Well-Known Member

Thanks Norway.

I should be at work today (Easter Monday is not a public holiday here). But there's a game on - so I chucked a sickie.

One has to get ones priorities right after all.

12. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

I have a feeling that it just might not be Conneticut ;)

13. Norwayhornet

Totally agree Saxet<laugh>

14. Norwayhornet

Saxet suggest you go to match thread<ok>

15. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I would hope that the human race has moved on a bit by now.

Welcome to the mad house Saxet. <ok>

16. Roowfc

Roowfc Member

Yes but only for starting pointless off topic threads- this will be a losing battle for me seeing as our mod is the biggest culprit but could you PLEASE keep this stuff to the nest or make one sticky thread for these- this is tufning into a soapbox for old men in remote locations!

17. Saxet

Saxet Well-Known Member

Thank you too Frenchy.

I'm a long term lurker from the moribund 606. It's a shame it's going - but the opening hours were hardly conducive to those of us in bandit-country South Texas. At least this place has Wal-Mart hours of business. But don't even get me started on Wal-Mart.

My time Stateside is probably coming to an end so I'm greatly looking foward to renewing my season ticket and watching Danny Graham bang in a brace against West Ham next season as the Hornets dominate the Championship.

18. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Come, come Roo. There are many things in the media that do not interest me. There are complete TV channels that show things that I do not wish to view, but there must be people who do look at them and get something from them.

My solution is not to watch them if they do not spark something within me. It cannot be that difficult to look at a thread title and say that is not for me. If there were a 24 hour TV channel devoted purely to Watford FC, I reckon that after an hour or so you would be turning over to see something different.

19. Norwayhornet

Roo, as Frenchie says If you dont like dont look at it ! Also I take offence at the old men part(middle aged if you please) you young whipper snapper;)
    If you dont like what you see here ,there are plenty of other places you can talk xbox ,swear and be in a kid in kiddy company!

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Roo - that was you told :)