1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Shortlist / Suggestions for new manager then

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Seeing as I've broken the news he's off ( no doubt going to look silly if something daft happens... ) who do you all want in to replace?

One man for me, Daryl Clark off Bristol Rovers. The ideal candidate / does well on a small budget and plays the game in a very exciting way.

Very rarely draws a game due to rather winning one losing one than drawing two and I feel would transform this club.

How about you guys!?

On the flip side, Tim Sherwood is the one I would struggle to accept. I absolutely hate that melt.

2. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

This thread could get a bit out of hand, so I'll thrown in the obvious name of Pep Guardiola just to get that over and done with..

On a more serious note the name I've mentioned every time a manager's left since Jim, has been Paul Tisdale. Plays some fantastic stuff and has to rebuild his squad most seasons as it gets ripped apart by player sales as they can't compete financially with those around them

I'd also throw in the names: Nathan Jones and Graham Potter. Both 'upwardly mobile' young managers who are having a lot of success at their respective clubs. Both of which would probably turn us down and are not even close to our 'shortlist' given the way Evans has gone about his appointments so far

3. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Would be interesting to know how many of us would prefer a home grown manager from a lower league, or a manager from a foreign league who will maybe have some forward thinking ideas (ie the dutch fella being quoted).

Would you also stick with someone who is experienced with our division, or a younger manager?

Unfortunately i don't really know who i want in - in an ideal world, i'd want a young manager, maybe in his 2nd managerial position, who could add a bit of freshness to our team and coaching (i suppose like Eddie Howe has done at Bournemouth).
    I also agree that i DO NOT want to see Sherwood anywhere near our club - clueless individual

Westlake33 likes this.
  4. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Generally, I'd prefer a younger manager from a lower league division, but my personal top three are Maurice Steijn, Paul Hurst, and Nathan Jones. If I had to bet on who it will be, I think Tony Mowbray would be short odds and probably a more traditional name. Of all the more experienced managers, I'd like to see Mowbray.

Love to see: Maurice Steijn (VVV Venlo), Nathan Jones (Luton Town), Tony Mowbray (Blackburn), Paul Cook (Wigan), Paul Hurst (Shrewsbury), Graham Potter (Osterunds)

Like to see: Darrell Clarke (Bristol Rovers), Gary Monk (Birmingham), Mark Warburton, Paul Tisdale (Exeter), or a young foreign manager out of left-field with a good track record.

Not a great appointment: John McGreal (Colchester), Gerard Nash (Town U23s), Cowley brothers (Lincoln)

Don't want: Frank Lampard, Harry Redknapp, Tim Sherwood, Gary Megson.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Alhare likes this.
  5. stretchyboy

Two foreign managers who could be possibilities, and would show us with intent, are Marco Silva and Paul Clement.
    Even though they are higher profiles, they could be persuaded to come to us if there are funds available

6. stretchyboy

7. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Paul Clement is English..

Also, those other names are very pie in the sky.. Given they will have plenty of offers from far bigger clubs than us and in far richer leagues than the Championship.

Plus Marco Silva will 100% be managing in the Premier League again next season.

8. stretchyboy

So he is - always thought he was French LOL

9. Nuggets

Marco Silva is way out of our league and I believe he is set to be lined up as the next Benfica manager. Paul Clement is a more realistic option, but his record at both Derby and Swansea does not make for encouraging reading and he'd demand a high wage. I'd prefer to go for a hungrier manager with more to prove.

itfcptc likes this.
  10. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

John Coleman of Accrington Stanley and bring Billy Kee with him.

11. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

12. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I like alot of the names you mention Nuggets.

The more I think about it the more I think Mowbray would make complete sense and fit the criteria on many levels

Nuggets likes this.
  13. Westlake33

Not a fan of anyone caught taking nandrilone running us ;) Always remember this happening with him at Brescia. Hated him since!

14. Westlake33

In a heartbeat mate.

15. itfcptc

16. Westlake33

Mate he's an absolute bellend. Ex Canary. Was soooo smug at Villa. Would rub players up the wrong way and hang people out to dry to the press. Fans would love that, players wouldn't. People wouldn't play for that melt for long.

17. itfcptc

Why don't you sit on the fence?

18. Westlake33

I guess I've had some loving for Mick over time so go on, I'll get on that fence!

Apparently Mowbray is the one they reckon. Anyone see it?

19. Nuggets

Tony Mowbray makes sense from an Evans perspective, in that he is experienced, has got a promotion on his CV, he can work on a budget, and the Ipswich Town connection will provide some much-needed positive PR and help heal the divide between supporters and the club in general. Another additional bonus is that Mowbray's sides do have the potential to play good football, and he certainly brought that to his promotion-winning West Brom side and most recently at Blackburn.

The main negative for Mowbray is his patchy managerial record, particularly his poor stints at Middlesbrough, Coventry, and the underachievement at Celtic. While I say he can work on a budget, he still struggled at Coventry and his sides do have a tendency of reverting to direct football when the going gets tough. There is also an element of a 'been there, done that' in regards to his experience, will he have the hunger and motivation or his younger alternatives?

On the surface, he's a relatively safe appointment, we could do a lot worse, and I like the idea of him taking over from McCarthy. I can see why he is the early favourite, but he's still not my first choice. I would prefer us to gamble a bit with the next appointment and get somebody younger with a proven track record of improving teams and getting success, as well as getting his teams to play an attractive style of football.

20. stretchyboy

I see Stam is now available - yes, Reading are flirting with relegation, but a big name who likes to play the passing game. I would definitely prefer him to Mowbray