1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sheffield Wednesday v Hull City AFC - Team news...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Aug 9, 2018.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I bet Nige could do without having a presser on deadline day, when we seem to be doing nothing.

Jordy De Wijs doing the presser with Adkins today, Nigel up first.

Adkins on transfers

No I don’t anticipate any business in or out of the club. Will something happen between now and 5? I would suggest not. We’ve been working hard and the way things may materialize instead of being a permanent signing today it might be a (a loan deal with a) view to a permanent signing.

Maybe the transfer fees will become loan fees with a deal done in January. I spoke to a couple of Premier League managers today and they can’t wait for it to close, but from our point of view it is still open.

Adkins on business

There is no truth in the Cattermole links and there never has been any truth. He’s never been on our list.

There is nothing in Henriksen either. There has been no bid from Cardiff and while there has been a conversation about something totally different there has been no interest in Henriksen.

We have made three bids for Norwood, they’ve all been rejected. We’ve been in touch with Brighton this morning and they have a fee they dont want to move on. There’s not a big gulf.

Adkins on Will Mannion

We have Will Mannion and Callum Burton, two excellent young goalkeepers, Will has gone to Aldershot and he can learn his trade playing games. He can improve and get game time and make mistakes. Callum can’t go out on loan because they’re covering the first-team situation. Are they ready to play Championship football? No. Can they become a first-team player for Hull City? Possibly.

The head coach discusses finances

Our finances are dressed accordingly, we’ve got six players who have come in and done well. We’re a hard working team and we need a bit of time. Jordy was punished for his first mistake but he will be an exceptional player. He is building a good partnership with Burke and we had a good back four the other night.

Finances are finances at all football clubs. We want to keep improving, pre-season has been really good. We have everyone to select from fitness wise apart from James Weir and Ondrej Mazuch.

'Supporters have to get behind the team'

I would say to the fans that the guys paying are working their socks off. We’ve had the gates open for supporters today and we had a good atmosphere on Monday night. We have come to a situation where we want to keep improving. They played good football the other night but we got beat and we know that. We have to keep the spirit and the belonging to the football club, we want the club to belong to the whole City.

You’ve seen the transfer fees of late, they’ve gone up and the wages have too. You have to cut your cloth accordingly.

Sheff Wednesday have chased a dram for a couple of years and I’m led to believe they have a transfer embargo on them. But it is the way it is.

Adkins on finances

It’s nice to see a Dan Batty come in and do well. There’s an understanding across the board that we have to reassess where we are. It was well documented that if the right think would do everything would change. The bosses of the club dictate what the finances are and we have to do what we can.

The long term ambition of the club is to keep moving forward.

Next year there won’t be the parachute payments and you have to dress it accordingly. The club has had a fantastic 5-9 years and the club should still be in the Premier League. But the reality is we now can’t afford a player we’re trying to sign.

I want to be back in the Premier League, sometimes you need the tools to help yourself do that.

Adkins discusses fitness and his squad depth.

I think we’re alright, but when you look at it we could play 8 games this month potentially. But have we got enough to deal with any injuries. Hopefully we’ll be able to stay fit. It’s a challenging period and we can all point fingers but we have to do everything we’ve got to be the best we can be.

I can envisage us signing three or four players, the structure changes and across Europe players could still go. The important thing is to not bring a player in just to make up the numbers and will never play who could disrupt it.

Toral picked up a niggle, he was in the squad but he’s trained bang on. Kamil Grosicki was still working on his fitness. Grosicki is still short of the level of fitness we’re after, there’s a lot of games coming up and that’s why I’m talking about being equipped well enough to cope.

I’m led to believe there has been no interest. The window is still open in Europe so something may happen. We’re just trying to get him fit.

Adkins on Grosicki's reported anger with his new number

Kamil’s situation is his situation. I changed the numbers, why not? If you’re getting emotional about numbers then maybe you need to look at yourself. The badge is the most important, it shouldn’t matter about the number he has. If he’s sat in the stand it doesn’t matter what number you have.

Jackson looks stronger this morning, but building them up fitness wise he looks stronger.

No idea what happened to Jordy, but nothing was reported, so I assume he didn't participate.

2. GEvans76

GEvans76 Well-Known Member

Changes for Saturday.
    MacDonald for De Wijs
    Long for Marshall
    Neither will happen.
    £39 is a bit steep and the travel all adds up.

3. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Confirmation that Burton is now ahead of Mannion in the pecking order.

4. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Worse walking away having been dumped on at the worlds biggest club GE...

GEvans76 likes this.
  5. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

AlRawdah likes this.
  6. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

The good news just keeps on coming. <doh>

7. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

I think Adkins is spot on.

We have a limited squad in terms of numbers, experience & ability. Dropping two players after one game will not only damage their confidence it will also heap more pressure on the other lads. We can’t afford to do that.

To get the most out of what we have we need to have a steady side & give them time to develop an understanding & confidence with themselves.

A bunch of limited players can make a decent team. That’s our only chance, dropping players every game will not enhance the team or our chances of staying up.

Adkins has picked his 1st XI & he’s right to stick by his decision.

8. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

'Kamil’s situation is his situation. I changed the numbers, why not? If you’re getting emotional about numbers then maybe you need to look at yourself. The badge is the most important, it shouldn’t matter about the number he has. If he’s sat in the stand it doesn’t matter what number you have.'

If he's skulking about because of a number change he can completely GTF, he needs to get his arse on the pitch and show his worth to the club.

The **** him.

9. GEvans76

Adkins is a very good man manager so I can see why he wouldn't make such decision after one game when talking about De Wijs.
    In Marshall's case it is different as he has been consistently error- prone for us and it's best for everyone if he's dropped.

CANADATIGER likes this.
  10. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

Agreed.

11. GEvans76

Adkins knows we are in a relegation battle so players like Grosicki dont fit his plans.
    He wants him out but he's probably on a good wicket

12. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Nigel Adkins explains why Hull City will not be active ahead of transfer deadline
    The Tigers will not be active before this evening's 5pm deadline

It’s deadline day, do you anticipate any business before 5pm?

No. It’s bang on 1.30pm now so will something happen between now and 5pm? I would suggest not. Definitely not going out. I’m looking for anyone to go out. We’ve been working very hard for someone to come in.

please log in to view this image

More than one person to come in. Obviously the transfer window closes at 5pm but the way things go it’s not shut. Things might then materialise where instead of a permanent signing today, it then becomes a loan signing with the permanent deal done in January.

That’s the way things will go in the next three weeks and everyone has to be aware of that. We’ve got several things we’ve been talking about. We need to improve this group of players who have worked extremely hard. That’s how it stands with me being up front, open and honest.

Why haven’t things happened?

There’s a lot of clubs doing different things. At 6pm today negotiations change because the window is shut. There’ll be players who still want to leave clubs and need to be taken off wage bills. Maybe the transfer fees aren’t as big and they become loans with a view to deals being done in January.

Has the revised transfer deadline complicated things?

It is what it is but we all need to understand that when the deadline is done, we’ve still got another three weeks. I’ve spoken to a couple of Premier League managers today and they can’t wait for the window to shut at 5pm whereas from our point of view the window is still open.

The way it’s been done this year, those loans can still be permanents in January. From that point of view the window is still open until the end of the month. I want to keep improving everything here at Hull City.

You’ve been linked with Lee Cattermole, is there any truth in that?

There’s no truth whatsoever. There never has been any truth. We’ve been watching some of things that get reported knowing that agents will put things out there or clubs will put things out there to try and negotiate prices of scaremonger people. It’s interesting because we’ve been linked with him for three weeks but he’s never ever been on our list.

Markus Henriksen has also been linked with Cardiff today. Any substance to that?

There’s nothing in that whatsoever. There’s been no bid from Cardiff City. In fact, there’s been a conversation about something totally different but there’s no been interest shown in Markus Henriksen. It just highlights what goes on some of the time. You’ll ask me something, I’ll comment and all of a sudden there’s a story to write. It’s the way it is.

One player you did have an interest in was Oliver Norwood. Is there any chance of that happening?

We’ve made three bids for Oliver Norwood that have all been rejected. This morning we’ve still been in touch with Brighton. They’ve got a fee that they don’t want to move on. As is stands, coming up to 5pm, we’re not going to be able to meet the bid they’re after.

All of a sudden, come 6pm it’s a different kettle of fish with the loan window open. Whether someone else comes in for him I can’t control that. We put three bids in that improved each time and we’ve not met what they’re after.

How far away are you from that? Is there a big gulf?

No. We put three bids in.

One piece of business that has been done, Will Mannion has gone to Aldershot. What’s the purpose of that loan?

We’ve got Will Mannion and we’ve got Callum Burton, two excellent young keepers. They need to experience playing football. We’ve got George (Long) in now and that allows Will and Callum to go out on loan.

Will has gone to Aldershot. After 28 days he can be recalled if something happens but he can go and learn his trade playing games. He can go and make his mistakes and learn from them.

Since the back end of last season you’ve lost 12 players and recruited six. How satisfied are you with how the window has gone?

I said two weeks before the end of the window what I wanted us to do, getting the players in for the start of the season. There’s been a big overhaul. Finances need to be addressed accordingly and that will continue to happen. We’ve got six players who have come in and settled well. We’re a new team and we’re a hungry team.

Have finances been tighter that you anticipated?

Finances are finances at all football clubs. I don’t get involved in the deals. We have to work to the constraints. We want to keep improving. What I must say is that pre-season has been really good with the players we’ve got. We look a fit side, we look an organised side, playing some good football.

Lots of Championship clubs doing business today and I get the impression Hull City fans are underwhelmed at the moment, what would you say to them?

I think they can see that the guys playing for Hull City are working their socks off for the team. You can see that. We’ve had the gates open for the supporters, we’ve tried to embrace that.

There was a good atmosphere in the stadium and it was a shame it ended flat because we lost the game. We want the KCOM to be full with the supporters right behind the team.

They were the other night. We did play some good football and we had a good spirit but we got beat. We know that. We’ve got to keep that belonging. We’ve tried like mad to engage with the community because we want the whole city to be proud of Hull City.

We’re going through the transition and I keep asking the question every day. We need to keep improving on the training ground and can we give them a little bit of help with more quality and experience in the right areas?

You’ve seen the transfer fees just of late and I think everyone across the board has said ‘Really? How much has he gone for?’ because the fees and the wages have gone up astronomically. You have to cut your cloth accordingly. It is the way it is.

13. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

'We put three bids in that improved each time and we’ve not met what they’re after.' <laugh>

14. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

The badge is most important.............then WHY IS IT TAKING ****ING MONTHS TO DESIGN A NEW ONE!!!!

ImperialTiger likes this.
  15. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Because we are run by morons?

16. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I’m not in agreement. De Wijs had a terrible game as did Marshall. What message does it give to those players that could step into the starting 11 and improve it?

McDonald for one in place of De Wijs - give him a watching/understanding brief. Marshall has never performed, try Long, Nigel knows him well. He can’t be any worse.

17. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Marshall made one howler, it's not enough to drop him, particularly for someone who's never even played for us. Long will no doubt get his chance against Sheffield United and if he plays a blinder and Marshall has a poor game at Wednesday, it'll be changed for the following games.

allowentry and AlRawdah like this.
  18. GEvans76

He doesn't deserve yet another chance
    Let's just just hope for those of us who will go to game on Saturday that we don't end up talking about Marshall when leaving the ground and yet another mistake from him was why we lost.

CANADATIGER and GLP like this.
  19. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

It’s utter bullshit to say Marshall had a poor game on Monday. Get a grip.

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.
  20. GEvans76

Marshall has been consistently **** for our football club that is fact.

GLP likes this.