1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sheffield United v PNE Bramall Lane FA Cup 27//2018

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Jan 25, 2018.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Off to the Lane for the first time since 2015 when we won a cup replay 3-1 which at the time proved to be a turning point in the season, following the win we went on a long league unbeaten run which ended with a last day defeat at Colchester sending us into the play offs when Sir Jermaine bagged a hat trick beating hapless Swindon 4-0.
    There is a bit of odd coincidence in that we played Man United after winning at the Lane after they had beaten Yeovil in the previous round. On Friday Yeovil play United and we play the Blades, history striking twice, you never know.
    Since the 1-0 win over the Blades at Deepdale in December the home side form has still been patchy although winning last week at Norwich was a boost for them. They have signed a couple of players in the window Ricky Holmes from Charlton who I assume will be cuptied and James Wilson from Man Utd who won't be.
    Personal view this will depend on who sends out the strongest side as both sides still well in the play off mix and both sides have important league games on Tuesday night.
    After last Saturday's dross expect us to have a few changes, Rudd, Bodin and Moult will probably start, Pearson will not be risked and Hugill will not play following concussion as the league rules indicate you cannot play for seven days.
    We've sold out our 2500 allocation which muh praise goes to both clubs for the ticket pricing which for me is a £5 plus £10 travel a bargain.
    It is also my 50th game of the season.

Stat Attack: Sheffield United

please log in to view this image

@pnefc

As a result of being drawn out last from the recycled goldfish bowl used for the Emirates FA Cup draw, we find ourselves visiting Bramall Lane three months earlier than expected.
    It is of course only three years since we last met there in the competition, with Paul Gallagher’s brace and a header from Paul Huntington deciding the fourth round replay in our favour and setting up that memorable Deepdale night versus Louis van Gaal’s Manchester United side.

Despite our long history of league meetings, this is only the fifth time we have been drawn against each other in the world’s oldest knockout competition, despite the first meeting being way back in 1898/99.

Three of those previous occasions were also at the fourth round stage and this is the first time we have been drawn as the away side, with all four previous ties being at Deepdale. However, three of those ended in draws and so we had to cross the Pennines for replays; 2015 was the first time we returned triumphant.

The only tie that was decided at the first time of asking was back in 2001/02, when a second half recovery saw North End progress after Peter Ndlovu had given the Blades a 14th minute lead. Richard Cresswell (later to play for United of course) and a Graham Alexander penalty saw us come back to clinch the tie and progress to meet Chelsea at Stamford Bridge live on television.

This is the 42nd time in all we have reached the fourth round stage and the 21st time we have been drawn away. In all, 12 ties have gone to replays and we have progressed to the next round ten times. Our biggest away wins at this stage have come at Derby in 2008 and at Bristol Rovers in 1957.
    As well as Richard Cresswell, former North Enders to move to Bramall Lane include Mark Rankine, Chris Lucketti, Claude Davis and Alan Kelly Jnr. Current Blade Paul Coutts was previously at Deepdale of course before moving to Derby before joining United whilst Paul Gallagher spent time on loan with the Blades from Leicester City before beginning his four spells at Deepdale.

On This Date
    We have played seven previous FA Cup ties on this date and we have won all three away from Deepdale, at Workington in 1934, Queen’s Park Rangers in 1968 and at Selhurst Park in 2007 when we beat Crystal Palace 2-0.

The only tie we have lost on this date was 2-0 to Huddersfield Town in 1951. We also faced Reading at Deepdale back in 1894 and ran out 18-0 winners!

This match against the then amateur side was notable for several reasons, not least being our second highest ever score in a competitive match. It was also one of two occasions when four different North End players scored three or more goals in a match, Jimmy Ross being the only Lilywhite to score six times in a game for the club (although the individual record is seven – also held by Jimmy Ross). Frank Becton and John Cowan each scored four times and the fourth hat-trick was scored by John Barton. This in itself is remarkable, as he wasn’t even a player, but the team’s trainer and was only called up due to an injury crisis, which he did on two other occasions that season!

Two former strikers made their North End debuts on this date, the late Mel Holden and Sky pundit Neil Mellor.
    Mel’s first match was memorable for not very good reasons from a North End perspective as we lost 6-2 at Hull City’s Boothferry Park ground. Only 18 at the time, he had some better results during his three years at Deepdale, during which time he played alongside Bobby Charlton amongst others. A tall and commanding centre forward, Mel scored 27 times in 82 games before leaving for Roker Park. Sadly, he lost his life to illness at the tragically young age of 26 after spells with Sunderland and Blackpool.

‘Mells’ moved from Liverpool in 2007 and made his debut as a substitute in the FA Cup tie with Palace mentioned earlier. Neil went on to make 152 appearances for North End over the next five years, scoring 42 times in all before he too had to retire from the game early due to a persistent injury. However, he is a regular visitor to Deepdale in his media role for Sky Sports.

Last Five Games At Bramall Lane
    Sheffield United 1 (Murphy) Preston North End 3 (Gallagher, 2 (1p); Huntington), 3rd February 2015
    Sheffield United 2 (McNulty, Campbell-Ryce) Preston North End 1 (Brownhill), 10th January 2015
    Sheffield United 0 Preston North End 1 (Beavon), 21st September 2013
    Sheffield United 0 Preston North End 0, 27th April 2013
    Sheffield United 2 (Evans, 2) Preston North End 1 (Cummins), 18th February 2012

Ref Watch: Sheffield United

please log in to view this image

This weekend’s Emirates FA Cup fourth round tie at Sheffield United will be officiated by a top flight referee.

Graham Scott who took charge of Tuesday night’s Carabao Cup semi-final between Bristol City and Manchester City at Ashton Gate will have the whistle for this game at Bramall Lane.

It will be the Premier League official’s 20th game of the season, and he has been quite lenient with the cards so far, issuing just 45 cautions and three red cards, two of those coming in the Emirates FA Cup third round replay between Chelsea and Norwich City at Stamford Bridge last week.

The Oxfordshire referee is now in his tenth season on the EFL and PL lists, but hasn’t been a regular doing either the Blades or the Lilywhites down the years.
    His only visit to Deepdale came back in March 2012, a goalless draw with Scunthorpe United, whilst his only other game in charge of North End came in last season’s trip to the Cardiff City Stadium.

He has refereed our hosts on three occasions, but never at Bramall Lane, with a defeat at Walsall the same week as our game with Scunthorpe in 2012, a win at Chesterfield in 2016 and a draw with Charlton Athletic at the Valley last season in November 2016.

He will be assisted on the line by Richard West and Anthony Da Costa, whilst the fourth official will be experienced EFL match official David Webb.

2. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Well done, Mac. I would bakee a cake with 50 candles but my baking is diabolical! I will raise a glass of Bishop's Thingy to you. An amazing good price for a ticket. Get past the Blades and get MCity/Chelsea/Spurs at D'dale and NE can offer more for Ledsom in the summer window.

themaclad likes this.
  3. barnetpne

Shef U 1 (pen, Sharp) PNE 0. tom Clarke brought down Duffy and Billy Sharp left Rudd no chance. Probably a fair result on the basis of United sharper in the 2nd half.

4. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Sheffield United 1 Preston North End 0
    United: Moore, Wright, Stearman, Heneghan (Basham 59), Baldock, Duffy, Lundstram, Fleck, Lafferty, Sharp (Stevens 90), Donaldson (Evans 59).
    Subs (not used): O'Connell, Wilson, Carruthers, Eastwood.
    PNE: Rudd, Fisher (Woods 68), Clarke, Huntington, Earl, Johnson, Welsh (Hugill 68), Bodin, Browne, Horgan (Barkhuizen 59), Moult.
    Subs (not used): Gallagher, Spurr, Robinson, Maxwell.
    Referee: Graham Scott (Oxfordshire) Attendance: 15,680 (2,659 PNE)

The magic of the FA Cup missed Bramall Lane by a country distance as North End lost out to a second half penalty scored by Billy Sharp after being brought down by Clarke, Mr Scott who failed to give any penalties at the recent Chelsea game duly pointed to the spot and Billy Whizz did the rest. No idea whether it was a penalty however the free kick that led to the ball being put into the box wasn't but that's the way cookie crumbles. To be fair the Blades were slightly better of two sides who were to be kind average at best.
    The first half neither keeper had a shot to save, Browne fired one wide for us and Fisher and Huntington both cleared dangerous balls into the box, Moult look useful for us but when support players are 80 yards away twas a bit of a lost cause, Bodin showed some nice touches and does some grafting but North End were let down by some shocking passing, United kept the ball better and probably looked the more likelier and they started the second half well on top with Duffy being denied by a fine save by Rudd, but as time went on looked the joy of a Tuesday night replay at Deepdale would be on the cards until the penalty.
    Had a couple of efforts late Johnson went only just wide, and following great work by Moult, Hugill had a goalbound effort saved by Moore, it was our only effort on target came in the 90th minute. Four minutes of extra time were seen out with no real danger to the home side.

Plus points no points dropped, only cost 15 quid with ticket and several players got some useful game time, Fisher who I thought did well, Woods got some time and Earl got a full game although has to be said he looked really rusty and had a hard afternoon. Huntington managed to play some part of the game with only one boot on and Browne got socked in the mouth and handed a tooth to the physio.
    Back on the road on Tuesday need to up our game but personal view just come up short this season as will the Blades.

Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder:

"It wasn't a classic game. We just needed to lift our standards and be a bit more aggressive in the second half and drive the game forward a little more.

"I thought the introduction of Ched (Evans) gave us a little spark, and (Chris) Basham as well.

"We changed the shape at half-time as well just to get a bit more control of the football, which I think it did and we just edged a tight game.

"It was two teams that are very evenly matched, in league position. They made a few changes and we made a few changes, so I think both managers will be delighted that it has been decided on the day."

Preston manager Alex Neil:

"Obviously I'm disappointed, as you don't want to lose any game, but having said that, I don't think there was much in the game at all.

"I think the stats suggest that chances for and chances against are relatively similar.

"I think the disappointing thing is to go out to a contentious penalty. Having watched it back about six times, it's still a wee bit inconclusive for me. I'm not 100 per cent sure it was a penalty."

5. barnetpne

A shame but at least a run out for some of NE's rusty players. I have to commend the ex-England Ladies player summarising for the BBC: she made it seem like a ripper of a game.