1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Sheds

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Amin Yapusi, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

No better place for DIY advice than a football forum.

Planning on building my own L shaped shed. 4m x 2m at its narrowest and 3m on the L and about 2.4m tall with a roof sloping down from back to front. Now I’m an engineer so my understanding is metals and plastics and precision components but I think I have the necessary skills to draw up a solid plan and put it into action. But I don’t really know about wood and buildings.

So. What kind of timber do I need for base, walls and roof frame? Does it need to be that C16 pressure treated stuff? Does everything need to be coated further? 2x6 on the bottom and 2x4 on the side and roof? 18mm ply for the floor and roof? Ply on the walls or just some of that overlapping cladding stuff sheds normally have? Hardwood of softwood boards?

Now I should mention I’m planning on building a climbing training wall on the back right across the 4mm width that will be built into the frame work so the back wall does need to be load bearing but I can’t help feel that 2x4’s and 18mm ply are overkill for the rest considering the flat pack kits you get are nowhere near that sturdy.

Just approximating materials there’s almost £1k dropped in the floor and framework alone before adding any doors, walls, roof felt etc.

Have been looking round the shed kits all evening but nothing really fits the bill for what we want. Missus wants some of it to be like a summer house and we need a fairly big storage space too. Plus it will give me something to do whilst I’m stuck at home.

There is a big L shaped concrete slab in the garden already hence the L shape design to make use of it all.

2. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

3. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

4. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

Alternatively if you want something more robust Screenshot_20200413_092129.jpg ...

dennisboothstash likes this.
  5. Heimdallr

Heimdallr Well-Known Member

It depends what you're going to be using it for... If you're using it to store a lawnmower and paint, it just needs a watertight roof and impregnated tongue and groove cladding and will be cheap to build - a basic 2x4 skeletal structure as long as its not too windy where you live. If you want it as a summer house, and to sit in there, you'll probably want some sort of windows and to spend more on insulation and general aesthetics. A bit of moisture coming up from the ground isn't a problem if you're storing vintage copies of Club and petrol cans, but it is if you're having a wedding reception etc.

Certainly worth using c16 treated wood for the structure (if I'm translating this correctly) - the money saved by using a cheaper type won't be worth it if you have to replace things in a few years time.

6. Amin Yapusi

Yes, pretty much what the shed part will be used for. Only the back wall will be load bearing.

2x4 seems like overkill for the rest of it. Thinking of the shed kits you buy the framework is 2x1 or smaller. Floor is probably 12mm chipboard or something?

I’m going to draw it up in cad but changing wood size basically means starting again so want to get the framework right first time. The C16 pressure treated stuff seems to come smallest in 2x4.

7. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

You'll get no ****ing help from this lot on here, well you will get as many different suggestions as there are posters who bother to read the op.

I asked for advice on how to drill a wall tile (without breaking it) loads of ideas all different of course. As Mr. Nike says, just do it.

8. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

I built a 3mx5m shed using 2x3 for the framing and 18mm ply for the floor. A bit overkill but 7 years on it's still solid while my 2x1 framed shop-bought shed is starting to wobble.
    I put cedar shingles on the roof, expensive but looks good and it's fun doing it!

9. Amin Yapusi

Did you add extra protection to the floor frame in particular?

Im wondering about using 12mm ply on the floor. You use soft ply or hard?

10. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

I made the floor frame from 3" fenceposts set at about 24" apart. I don't know if the ply was hard or soft, I didn't specify when I asked so it's whatever they sent me!

11. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

At what point does a 'shed' stop being a shed and become a summerhouse?

As someone that enjoys a bit of eccentricity, I do like the discussion of getting 2m of 4"x 2".

12. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

Instead of felt you could try black bitumen corrugated sheeting.....Mineral felt is expensive and hard to fit unless torched on but the bitumen sheeting is fairly easy to fit and really looks the part.It cost me £120 for a 10' x 8' shed and will outlive the shed.

13. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

I know this won’t help you bob, which I quite enjoy the thought of
    But that wood place down st George’s rd are great lads and will do any spec you want.

14. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

I got a shed from a place down Dunswell lane, again first class. Found something that was nearly right and then agreed some modifications.

Would still be in my garden now if some **** that had been renting my house (but stopped paying) hadn't done a moonlight flit and taken it with him.

15. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Ye sorry about that mate

16. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

With free erection

tigerscanada likes this.
  17. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Have a look at Newstar Buildings website. They're on Ash Grove Beverley Rd. Might give you some ideas or tips.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  18. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Tanalised timber otherwise your shed will dissolve in a couple of years!

19. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

20. Amin Yapusi

Thats what I’m planning on using for the framework at least. The walls will be ply to start with as it’s quick cheap and easy but will stick some cladding over the top at a later date to make it look nice. With a ply backing I can just use some cheap flimsy **** then too.

If it goes ahead. It’s starting to look expensive, and although I don’t reside in Yorkshire I still don’t part easily with money <laugh>

dennisboothstash and GLP like this.