1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Shame You Didn't Convince Walter

Discussion in 'Wolves' started by boabwest, Feb 23, 2012.

1. boabwest

boabwest New Member

Celtic & Scottish football fan here - really think you guys should have pushed the boat out for Walter Smith. Obviously I had a soft spot for Mick McCarthy, when I was growing up he was pretty much the best defender we had at Celtic & I enjoy his no bullsh*t attitude to his media work. Was sorry to see him sacked.

Anyway really think Walter would have galvanised your team & kept you in the EPL - wonder if it was due to the short-term aspect (13 game contract) that he decided it wasn't for him?? His record at Rangers speaks for itself, especially the UEFA cup run a few years back, but what he did for the Scotland national team should not be underestimated either plus Sir Alex had him in the door ASAP when he needed a short term assistant a few years back. He talks a lot of sense & doesn't take fools lightly.

Unfortunately I think any other managerial option Wolves now go for will not have as a positive effect as Walter would have e.g. Steve Bruce.

Who is the fans prefered option now? & who do you think is the most likely appointment?

2. Pete Doherty

Pete Doherty New Member

I think Avram Grant is the only manager left who hasn't turned them down.

3. hedgeworth

hedgeworth Active Member
    Forum Moderator

According to Walters statement, he was only verbally offered the job and never got as far as the fine detail, he just decided that he didn't fancy the challenge which is fair game to him.

I think he would have been a good catch till the end of the season, since he would have told the players some home truths.

4. boabwest

boabwest New Member

See I think he might have just been told it was 13 games & not fancied it - prob would have wanted 2 & a half years so IF he got relegated he could have re-built the team to his spec, win promotion & then retire after a season in the Prem...

Just a thought.??

5. hedgeworth

hedgeworth Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Not sure, he rejected it twice according to reports, once because he wanted a shorter term contract and then because he didn't think 13 games was enough. So not so sure it was to do with timeframe.

More likely it was the fact the Jex and Morgan told him he would have £9.99 to spend on players, or some other restrictions that he was not happy with.