1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sevilla v Leicester City (CHAMPIONS LEAGUE)

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by HarboroughFox, Feb 19, 2017.

1. HarboroughFox

HarboroughFox Well-Known Member

Oh dear! Where do I start?!

I thought we played well for the first 30 minutes against Millwall, but have a feeling Ranieri will revert back to the usual starting 11.

My personal starting 11 would be.

Schmeichel

Simpson
    Morgan
    Benalouane
    Fuchs

Mahrez
    Ndidi
    Drinkwater
    Gray

Kapustka
    Vardy

2. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

Can N'didi play if he has played in the Europa league?

Schmeichel

Simpson Morgan Huth Fuchs

Mahrez Drinkwater Amartey Albrighton

Slimani
    Vardy

3. mauled1904

mauled1904 Well-Known Member

Based on the info below, he should be OK to play

UEFA’s rule books to see if their transfer targets will be free to play in European competition.

Worried supporters have watched on as names linked with a move to their side have played in European competition, potentially ruling the target out of playing in Europe for them or, worse, a deal collapsing as a result.

However, UEFA regulations however can clear a player to play for two clubs in Europe in any given season, based upon an exception which applies to participation in the qualifying rounds.

Rule 18.07 states that if a player features in the first, second or third qualifying rounds of either the Champions League or Europa League, he can play for another club in either competition from the group stages onwards, provided his former employers do not reach the group stages themselves.

If a player is involved in any of the aforementioned qualifying rounds for a side which then goes on to play in the group stages of either UEFA competition, he is not eligible to play for another club in Europe in that season.

There is a common misconception regarding rule 18.19, which states that from the knockout stages, a player cannot be registered to play for another club if he has already played in the same competition that season, or if his previous side remain in that competition.

However, this rule does not mean that a player would be able to play in the group stages for his new club, and then find suddenly himself ineligible to play in the knockout stages.

Provided a player’s former side were eliminated prior to the group stages, and the player was then registered to play in the groups of either competition for his new club, he is free to continue playing in the knockout rounds of either the Champions League or Europa League.

Current example

Player A features for Club A in a Europa League second qualifying round tie. Player A has been linked with a possible move to Club B, who are participating in the qualifying stages of the Champions League.

If Player A is subequently sold to Club B, he would not be able to play in the qualifying rounds of either the Champions League or Europa League.

However, provided Club A do not reach the group stages of the Europa League, Player A could be registered to play for Club B in the group stage of the Champions League or Europa League, as per rule 18.07 of the regulations of the two competitions for 2011/12.

Under the same set of circumstances, Player A would also be free to play in the knockout stages of either the Champions League or Europa League, provided he had previously been registered for the group stages with Club B.

If Club A were to reach the group stages of the Europa League, Player A would not be able to play for Club B in European competition in the 2011/12 season.

Past example

Rangers faced similar circumstances when they signed Nikica Jelavic from Rapid Vienna at the start of the 2010/11 season, with the striker having turned out for the Austrians in the Europa League qualifying rounds.

However, as Rapid went on to qualify for the group stages of the Europa League, Jelavic became ineligible for the group stages of the Champions League.

Jelavic would have been clear to play in the knockout rounds of the Champions League but, as Rangers dropped into the Europa League, he was unable to play for the same reason.

4. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

Potential bloodbath of a result awaiting

5. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

I don't think we will crush them tbf John <whistle>

Kaputska deserves a start ... if anyone can put Vardy (Musa) in it's him... based on his skill and weight of pass at the weekend ... <ok>

6. JohnTheFox

I just hope we can hold on to our youngsters if we do go down. If we do, I'd hope we could have a side with Ndidi, Amartey, Chilwell, Gray, Lawrence and Kapuska in

7. Foxy in Foyle

Foxy in Foyle Well-Known Member

On current form we have less chance of crushing a grape than Stu Francis.

I was really excite about thus but am now just filled with dread.

8. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

I'm hoping (lot of hope) that this will suit us far more than the way Premier teams are currently setting up against us ... they need to come at us ... hopefully we can defend like we did last season and cause them some pain on the counter ...

Keep The Faith :cool:

9. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We need to go into this cleverly.

We need to expect to lose. Our strikers need to take any chance they get. Even 1 away goal is massive.

I'll take a 2 goal deficit or a 3 goal deficit with an away goal.

10. Wellernever

Wellernever Well-Known Member

Not in our Champions League squad.

Expect to see:
    Schmeichel
    Simpson Morgan Huth Fuchs
    Mahrez Ndidi Drinkwater Albrighton
    Slimani Vardy
    Really, really need Mahrez to come good in this game. It's a given that we'll concede at least 2 but would be great if we could nick a goal somehow.

FosseFilberto likes this.

11. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Bummer ... have you watched the highlights that the polish lad posted of Bart against Millwall .... his technique is really good ... Claudio has missed a trick there re the UCL squad IMHO ..

12. Wellernever

It is and I'd really like to see him feature in the upcoming Premier League games. If we get a good tanking on Weds. then it is time for Ranieri to ditch the consistently under performing "stars" and pick a team and stick with it.

13. outonthefloor

outonthefloor Member

Would not surprise if they don't go and win over there!

14. southernfox

southernfox Member

Not going to happen as both Kapuska and Wosa are not on the Champions league squad list,
    I thought he look good at Millwall,

15. JohnTheFox

That post was about players I'd want to see in the side if the worst happens and we go down mate. I know he isn't in the CL squad and I can't see Claudio giving him much more time during the rest of the season. Just hoping we can get a manager who gives the youngsters a chance

16. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

I would be absolutely gobsmacked if we go over there and win. In fact I will be shocked if we actually score a goal.

17. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

As long as we have a better result then Arsenal, I will be not disappointing - can't say happy as I haven't really felt that bout Leicester since the Man City game.

3-0 loss or better :emoticon-0108-speec

18. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As long as we give ourselves a chance at the KP i'll be happy.

HarboroughFox and FosseFilberto like this.
  19. jambawamba

jambawamba Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that we will get a draw 2-2

20. Wellernever

Bookings or corners?

BucksFox likes this.