1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sess Joins Spurs

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by 2whitestripes, Aug 8, 2019.

1. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

I don't think it could be any better put than the club have said. Many many thanks Ryan.

The Club can confirm that Ryan Sessegnon has joined Tottenham Hotspur for an undisclosed fee.

The deal is a record sale for Fulham, and also sees midfielder Josh Onomah move to Craven Cottage.

please log in to view this image

Speaking about the transfer, Tony Khan said: “Ryan Sessegnon has grown up at Fulham and grown as a footballer under the guidance of our Academy and the managers he’s worked with here.

“I had hoped that Ryan would be with us as we began this season’s campaign and for many seasons beyond it, and I did everything I could to try to make that happen.

“But when a player expresses a desire to explore a new opportunity, and our attempts to change his mind are unsuccessful, then the priority is making sure that we get the right deal for the Club. That is what I’ve done, I believe that we’ve done the best deal possible for Fulham.

“We wish Ryan well on his next chapter and we’ll continue working to get the club back to the Premier League. Come On Fulham.”

Ryan joined the Whites 11 years ago, alongside twin brother Steven, and was initially part of the Under-9 setup.

His natural talent was abundantly clear, and he moved through the age groups at an alarming rate – so much so that he was named as 19th man at the age of just 15 for our final fixture of the 2015/16 season.

That was a taste of things to come for Ryan, as he became a mainstay in the squad the following year, sharing the left-back berth with Scott Malone. The 16-year-old helped Fulham reach the Play-Off Semi-Finals, scoring an impressive seven goals in 30 appearances.

please log in to view this image

But in 2017/18 Ryan found another gear. He topped the Fulham scoring charts with an impressive 16 league goals – a figure all the more remarkable considering he played much of the first half of the season in defence.

Involved in all three of our Play-Off goals – scoring one and assisting both Denis Odoi and Tom Cairney – Ryan was as instrumental as anyone as the Whites secured promotion in a manner which will never be forgotten.

That season also saw Ryan recognised with a plethora of personal awards, including Championship Player of the Year, while he also became the first person from outside the Premier League to ever be nominated for PFA Young Player of the Year.

While our time in the Premier League was difficult for the team, Ryan still impressed when called upon, scoring two goals and laying on a further six assists for his teammates.

In total, Ryan – who only turned 19 in May – has scored 25 times in 120 Fulham outings.

Ryan’s attitude and application has been nothing short of impeccable in his time here, and everyone at the Club would like to thank him for his immeasurable contributions, and also wish him the very best of luck at Spurs, where we have no doubt he’ll enjoy every success.

2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Obviously I'm very sad to see Sessegnon leave, but the move made sense for all parties given his contract situation.

He's got a great manager at Spurs and he'll have a great chance to prove himself. Go on Ryan, force yourself into that team and into the England squad!

2whitestripes likes this.
  3. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

Sad day! Ryan could have left for compensation like Elliott two years ago but didn’t he signed a first professional contract then got us promoted with a goal and two assist for our three play off goals, gave me a day at Wembley where I shed a tear for the first time in years and then got us £30 million transfer fee! Frankly I hope he goes on to be a world class player and will be willing him in the whole way!

Fulham COYW and 2whitestripes like this.