1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Season review

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Nuggets, May 6, 2018.

1. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

So a fairly average campaign finally draws to a close, what's everybody's thoughts on this season? Finishing above Norwich is a small crumb of comfort in what has been an ultimately average Championship season. McCarthy departs and we now have a rare period of excitement and drama ahead of the new managerial appointment. Players worth mentioning for good season performances, in my opinion, are Bart and Waghorn. The likes of Knudsen, Celina, Connolly, and Skuse have also played fairly well consistently.

Looking at the pre-season prediction thread, upper mid table seemed to be the consensus, so we've not quite reached those highs. This season has however provided a significant improvement on last year and academy players have stepped up, showed potential, and done fairly well.

Regarding the Middlesbrough draw, I thought it was an entertaining game to end the season. We tried passing the ball on the floor but Middlesbrough looked a more comfortable and technically talented side, especially Troare on the wing, always threatened. Waghorn and Sears played well (glad to see Freddie score again), we generally looked good in the middle of defence, although Knudsen had a poor game. Nydam was ineffective and Connolly didn't impress. Worth noting it was an excellent atmosphere, which will hopefully be seen more frequently in 2018/19.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Thoughts on season in a nutshell -

* Too many injuries to key players for us to have a chance to do anything.
    * Mick went way too far / time for a change all things considered.
    * That said, I think he did well with £££ to get Celina on loan / Waghorn / Garner for peanuts.
    * Various youth players developed nicely / played games with us - or went out on loan to develop further - Downes and Emmanuel, I'm talking about you.

A case of maybe what COULD have been with a bit of luck on point one - alas - not the case.

Big few weeks to see what next season could start to look like. Nervous.

Just glad to see this season come to a close I have to say. Shades of 16/17 for me, just glad it's done.

3. Nuggets

Agreed regarding the injuries, Westy. Huws in particular was a massive blow, as he is the best playmaker in the squad. Players like Adeyemi and Dozzell also appeared to be in the first team frame and have effectively been out all season too. One positive is that it allowed the likes of Downes and Nydam to put themselves in the picture when they otherwise may not have got the opportunities. Also, with the budget being how it is, players like Huws and Adeyemi were always going to have deficiencies considering their price tag. Unfortunately, being injury prone may be why Cardiff offloaded the players in the first place, and it hasn't done them any harm this season!

I still think the play offs would've been beyond us this season, even with a mostly fit squad. Looking at the teams who qualified for the play offs - Fulham, Villa, Boro, and Derby - that is one of the strongest set of play off teams I can remember for a while. I think we've only had the one win against Derby, the recent draw against Boro, and then we've lost all the other fixtures.

I think we can all agree Mick had to go. Despite the decent transfers and relative stability, the performances were deteriorating, the relationship with the fanbase had soured, and last season's near relegation was still fresh in our minds. Fully expect him to take charge of a Championship side and get them competing for top six next season mind.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  4. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Season review ......Average

San Diego likes this.
  5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

We finished where I predicted,glad to finally see the back of Dino Mick and I look forward to next Season with new hope!

6. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Started well, couldn't carry any momentum when first team players/micks favourites returned and it went down hill from there, I quickly lost interest. First season in a long while i didnt make it to any games. Glad to end the season on a positive. Looking forward to next with quiet optimism (of better entertainment if nothing else)

7. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

First month saw an incredible wave of optimism, lots of good news stories coming out of the club and we were playing with 3 (sometimes 4) attacking players on the pitch all together. Mick was even making statements like "Our fancy our strikers to score more than them" when quizzed on whether to stick with his 4 up top approach, we then beat Sunderland 5-2 and everyone thought we were seeing a return to the Joe Royle "you score 3, we'll score 4" approach.

What happened after that was a slow and painful decline into tedium and frustration. Any attacking intent was drained from the team and we were incapable of doing anything particularly well. The good will from the first month or so evaporated and apathy began to rule with the disappointments of the previous seasons almost being replayed in front of our very eyes.

In Hindsight, Mick should have left 12 months ago, but not for injuries we probably would have had a similar season (points & momentum wise) as Sheff Utd or Brentford, where we would have kept slim hopes alive for a few weeks longer but not been good enough to trouble the top 6 this late on.

San Diego and Nuggets like this.
  8. Nuggets

McGoldrick and Hyam have been released on free transfers. Both injury prone and in the case of McGoldrick, one of the highest earners at the club. I'm not disappointed to see either of them go and they have both been good servants for the club, however it seems like a natural time to allow them a fresh start elsewhere.