1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Season Review & POTY Awards

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Citizen Kane., May 18, 2022.

1. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

It's that time of year again.

I've seen the various categories discussed across other threads and if my memory serves me correctly I usually post a thread for all of them together.

It's been a peculiar season, to say the least. Lurching from manager to manager like a lonely drunk at the bar 10 minutes before closing time, we eventually settled on Nuno Espirito Santo as the man to take us forward. Aside from a lovely beard and even lovelier smile, and aside from his name there was literally nothing that sounded exciting about this appointment.

A mixed bag in the summer transfer window as Don Fabio was busy arranging his new office and stocking the cafeteria with gnocchi, and we entered the season with around 48 midfielders but only one striker and it wasn't at all clear he'd still be at the club when the window closed.

A defiant win over Citeh on the opening day flattered to deceive and after being top for a week following three straight 1-0 wins, things started to unravel as it became clear that the most exciting thing about our new manager was literally his name and from a certain angle at sunset, his beard.

His lack of managerial clout showed when he caved in to mounting pressure to play a more expansive game, and although performances were more entertaining, our lack of quality and total inability to control a game, coupled with the fact that our only striker was still fantasising about playing golf on the Nintendo Wii, led to a series of humiliating defeats in which the emergence of Oliver Skipp was the only comfort.

Smiling Beard was sacked soon after as things got increasingly toxic after we failed to score against a defence led by Harry Maguire, and after a day of whataboutery in the gossip columns, we appointed the man we should have appointed in the first place and an excitable Italian together with his well travelled toupee arrived in N17.

Antonio's honeymoon period was an overwhelming success as we remembered that it is ok to take the occasional shot on goal and also remembered that clean sheets aren't strictly for the launderette. Undefeated in 9 games, we shot up the table from 9th to 5th and there were even foolish whispers of a title bid after Stevie Wonder's miracle cameo against Mayor Quimby's all-bark-no-bite Leicester side, as we came back from 2-1 down with 3 minutes to play and scored twice in stoppage time.

Those whispers were quickly silenced however as were were evicted from the Europa Conference Pear League on account of the fact that half our squad was dead. Arsenal meanwhile were granted a postponement on account of one of their players having to walk to a chemist to pick up a lateral flow test. A run of 3 straight defeats including a fourth loss to Chelsea without scoring a goal followed as we all came crashing back down to reality; although we were cheered up by the arrivals of the boys from Juventus after a month spent chasing the signature of world class, 4-time Balon d'Or winner Adama Traore failed to come to fruition.

We did the double over Citeh which got us all singing again. Then we lost at Turd Moor and that shut us all up. This began the sequence of WLWLWLWL in which Spurs became the most predictably unpredictable team in world football. Things settled down with a really hard-fought win over West Ham which saw us threaten the top 4 seriously for the first time all season. A timely collapse at Woolwich played into our hands as we thrashed the Toon and then Villa to move into the top 4 for a stretch of 2 weeks.

Then we lost to Brighton and drew to Brentford while Arsenal "we all have Covid" FC decided to beat everyone and move above us again. A potentially massive point at Anfield plus a comprehensive victory in the NLD got us back on track, before the Toon did us a huge favour to take the race for 4th down to the final week of the season, with us needing at least a point at Norwich, who have been relegated since October, to secure CL football and say goodbye to the likes of Pacos de Ferreira.

We all know how this will end, but there's your season review sponsored by CK's Cave Ltd.

Now for the season awards, categories are as follows:

Player of the Year
    Young Player of the Year
    Most Improved Player
    Best Signing
    Worst Signing
    Favourite Game
    Least Favourite Game

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I think I'll wait until next Monday...

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great article, CK. <applause>

Player of the Year:
    Son. Been a bit up and down, as usual, but played well and scored goals pretty consistently.

Young Player of the Year:
    Skipp. Very positive first half of the season before being done in by injury.
    Just edges out Kulusevski, for me. Nobody else in the running, which is worrying.

Most Improved Player:
    Dier. Gone from a dodgy, fringe player that a lot of us wanted out to an automatic mainstay.
    Doherty had a late run at it before his untimely death at Villa Park.

Best Signing:
    Romero, assuming he counts, as he's still on loan on paper.
    Bentancur if he doesn't and he's not got a lot of competition from non-loan signings.

Worst Signing:
    Gollini if loanees count. Hasn't played much and seems to be doing a good job behind the scenes.
    I think that most of our other signings were pretty decent. Squad needs a lot more work, though.

Favourite Game:
    A few big contenders, including both City games and the late, late show at Leicester.
    Have to give it to the NLD, though. Amazing atmosphere and massively important, too.

Least Favourite Game:
    There's been plenty and every one of the Chelsea games are up there.
    Losing to Mura and Boro in the cups come close, too.
    Have to give it to the other NLD. Abject, pathetic display and the officials robbed us, too. Awful.

4. Citizen Kane.

For me:

Player of the Year
    Heung Min Son

Young Player of the Year

Oli Skipp :emoticon-0152-heart

Most Improved Player

Matt Doherty
    Quite a few have improved significantly under Conte and I was very close to going with Dier, but Doherty was literally my least favourite player at Spurs, especially given his Gooner background. However, his attitude and work ethic has been exceptional throughout and under a decent coach he has started to turn things around with a series of top class performances. Such a shame his season was ended through injury.

Best Signing

Dejan Kulusevski and Christian Romero tie this one.

Worst Signing

Bryan Gil
    I know, I know - he's still young. But I saw almost nothing to suggest he'll ever make it at the top of the PL. To my mind, we spent a huge chunk of money and lost a vastly better player in return for a top lad who'd enjoyed a couple of good seasons at two of the weakest teams in La Liga. It was a poor decision and I'm afraid to say it - I don't see him having a future here as Conte won't want to hang around for 2-3 years until he comes good.

Favourite Game -

Spurs 0 - 3 Man United
    Jokes aside, I don't think we have yet realised the ramifications of this defeat. It led to Gollum staying in charge at United and Conte coming to Spurs. I doubt there has been a more beneficial defeat in Spurs history.

Least Favourite Game

That whole sequence of losing 3 London derbies on the trot was just damningly bad. We were dismal in all of them and at FT against Arsenal I had never felt more disconnected from the club I've followed my whole life. Of the three, the NLD was the worst simply because it was the limpest, most pathetic NLD display I can remember - and I grew up watching us in the 90's!

5. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Player of the Year - Son
    Young Player of the Year - Skipp
    Most Improved Player - Dier

Best Signing - Romero
    Worst Signing - Gollini
    Favourite Game - At the Etihad
    Least Favourite Game - FA Cup loss v Boro

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Brilliant post my friend, chuckled at a good few bits.

Although you're playing a dangerous game posting it before the final match of the season, because depending how it goes, that could well win "least favourite game"!

Player of the Year - Lloris.
    Proven age is just a number, rarely let us down and has made some extremely crucial saves, with his one against Cornet on the weekend just a recent example. Somewhat of a travesty he's never won our POTY year too.

Young Player of the Year - Kulusevski.
    An unbelievable January purchase (along with Bentancur) which puts to bed the idea you can't sign quality in the winter window. Has turned a deadly duo into a terrific threesome - and who doesn't love a threesome. If Skipp stayed fit though it would've been a very close battle.

Most Improved Player - Davies.
    I wouldn't even essentially say he's improved, he's just now in a position that suits him to a tee and where fans can finally appreciate him. Always been a reliable defender and under Conte he's proven that and some.

Best Signing - I'm sorry but I can't pick.
    Romero, Bentancur and Kulusevski have just been breaths of fresh air after years of primarily dross coming through our doors. Love their attitude, work ethic and most importantly their quality. Romero has become an absolute favourite of mine already though.

Worst Signing - Gollini.
    Copped some unfair flack because second choice keepers will always find it hard to impress but I think he's made just 10 appearances and in one or two of those has had some shaky performances. Not a bad player by any means though.

Favourite Game - 3-0 vs Arsenal.
    My first game back at The Lane since the move to Devon and it was worth the train, hotel, food and drink costs. Electric atmosphere, probably best I've seen/ heard and ultimately we gubbed the Goons... what more could you want?!

Least Favourite Game -
    I would've said the 0-3 to Utd but that ended up being a blessing in disguise and so I look back at it with fond memories now. I think either the 1-2 vs Mura or the 0-1 vs Brighton are up there with the games I was left completely fuming at, though there's been a good number of contenders because when we've lost, we've generally been awful.

7. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Burn him. And what remains of that thereafter, burn it too.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  8. Citizen Kane.

It's safe to post now.

9. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

10. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Player of the Year
    Son Heung-min - our top scorer, the Premier League's top scorer, and a player that scares the **** out of Gary Neville so much he's going to spend all summer saying he should sign for Saltypool. Yes, he had a couple of spells in the second half of the season where he seemed to be running on fumes, but he picked up the responsibility to score in clutch situations from our very first game

Young Player of the Year

Oliver Skipp - an easy pick as the only other potential contender was Tanganga, whose form unfortunately plateaued, but there's no denying he brought an energy and directness to our midfield

Most Improved Player

Eric Dier - this time last year most Spurs fans would have been happy to bin him off, but this season he managed not one but two turnarounds, firstly by becoming a rock at CB under Nuno, and under Conte he became a key part of his system as the CB who sets our attacking moves going from the back. He may have had one or two hairy moments still, especially towards the end of the season, but there's reasons there are calls for him to make the WC squad which would have been unthinkable a year ago
    Honourable mention: Ben Davies, Matt Doherty

Best Signing

Cristian Romero - simply put he has embodied our turnaround under Conte, as one minute he can be making game-saving stops he has no right to be making, the next he can be pocketing opponents with some exquisite ****ehousery, and after that he can decide that he's bored with being a CB and become a box-to-box midfielder, and he'll be assured in each and every one of those roles
    Honourable mention: Dejan Kulusevski

Worst Signing

Pierluigi Gollini - While there is plenty of evidence of him being great for morale behind the scenes, when he's played he hasn't been good for the morale of those watching, and I still get the feeling that his loan was mainly to grease the wheels to get Cuti across the line

Favourite Game

3-0 vs Arsenal - immense atmosphere, immense performance, and sapped the Runners' morale so badly that they wilted against Newcastle and left Top 4 in our hands as a result

Least Favourite Game

Literally any match against Chelsea - the complete opposite of the above, and multiplied by four. **** me...

Last edited: May 22, 2022

11. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Player of the Year - Sonny just from Hugo (who I said a few weeks ago) but if you win the Golden Boot, you win POTY.

Young Player of the Year -
    Skippy for the quality, effort and fihjt that he brought to the side when we were ****. Up until Christmas, he was our best player.

Most Improved Player - Dier. I'd written him off. I was wrong. In that position, he has been excellent.

Best Signing -
    Bentancur. Romero probably has a higher ceiling, but Bentancur transformed our season. A lovely footballer.

Worst Signing -
    Over this season alone and given what we paid, it's my namesake - Bryan. He cost a great deal and added very, very little. He may become a Spurs great, but for this season, he was a waste of money.

Favourite Game -
    Tottenham 3 - 0 Arsenal. We took them apart and they didn't recover until they'd lost to Newcastle. Did no harm that I was in a pub packed full of the ****ers and my cousin whined all night and the next morning about the ref, Son, our stadium, Conte, Kane....<laugh>

Least Favourite Game - Mura (A). Disgraceful.

12. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Player of the Year - Son
    Most Improved Player - Davies

Best Signing - Kulusevski
    Worst Signing - Gollini
    Favourite Game - Arsenal at home
    Least Favourite Game - Chelsea at home

Alfie Conn likes this.
  13. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Player of the Year - Son. I think Kane is more important to how we play, but Sonny has been the best player this season. Simply phenomenal and though he’s still a streaky player, he’s getting more consistent.

Young Player of the Year - I’m going to cheat a bit and say Kulu, he was 21 when we signed him after all. His impact has been so noticeable and we finally have balance in that front 3. My heart said Skipp here and he’d probably be a dead cert if not for that injury, but I don’t think I can ignore Kulu’s exploits since his debut for this one.

Most Improved - Eric Dier by a long shot. Ben Davies has been Mr Consistent but the transformation of Dier has been remarkable. I’m pleased he’s back, he’s a smashing lad.

Best Signing - Bentancur just squeaks it for me. I think he’s given us a completely different profile of midfielder. Romero has been brilliant when fit and obviously Kulu is a hit too.

Worst Signing - I can’t say Gollini, I just don’t get the hate. I think it has to be Bryan Gil, not that I think he won’t be a good player one day, but he’s just so obviously not ready for the PL.

Favourite Game - obviously demolishing Arsenal. Massive game in every way and we put them to the sword. Also greatly enjoyed all the Liverpool and City games.

Least Favourite Game - Mura, or any time we played Chelsea. Enough said.

14. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Player of the Year -
    Son ... so pleased he won the Golden Boot. Scored some brillisnt goals.
    Young Player of the Year -
    Skipp...really msde an impact an we really missed him when he was injured.
    Most Improved Player -
    Dier and Davies have been brilliant but Doherty wins this for me. Was excellent until he was butchered at villa and we really missed him v Brighton and Brentford.
    Best Signing -
    Bentacur and Kulusevski have been great but Romero for me.
    Worst Signing -
    Gil
    Favourite Game -
    Leicester away made me believe we got our spurs back, Arsenal at home was glorious but West ham at home was my first game in 2 years so thst wins it for me.
    Least Favourite Game -
    Chelsea (home and away prem and cup), Palace (away), and west Ham (away) united (away) were all awful but the NLD away was seriously bad.

15. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

Player of the Year:
    Son. He has been unplayable at times ,Kane has dipped slightly by his own very high standards

Young Player of the Year:
    Skipp. Started the season as the only good thing about our midfield, going to be interesting next year but Kulusevski gets it for me , his 1st game I admit I was worried but since then he has been just what this team has needed for years

Most Improved Player:
    Dier. He has been a player over the years that has " got " this club and I thought he was finished , Conte and his team have revitalised him and long may it continue, as for an Eng recall , I hope he is overlooked and just keeps on doing it for Spurs

Best Signing:
    Conte , without him none of this would have happened

Worst Signing:
    Bryan Hill, too lightweight for the prem, hopefully will turn into a player but I won't hold my breathe

Favourite Game:
    City away , Leicester away but has to be NLD as it all came together on the night , the stadium, tactics , the team and ultimately the crowd

Least Favourite Game:
    NLD away ,pathetic

16. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Player of the Year - Son by a whisker from Hugo (Golden Boot winner is a great achievement)

Young Player of the Year - Kulusevski

Most Improved Player - Dier, but Close between Davies & Dier both have benefitted massively from the change of shape and being played in a system that suits their attributes. Honourable mentions for Doherty and Sessegnon who in the last few games may have saved his Spurs career.

Best Signing - Bentancur, a case can be made for Cuti and Kulu, but the Uruguayan just edges for it me because as well as being a quality player is definite ****house too more subtle than Lamela ever was, and he has been instrumental in our improvement.

Worst Signing - Nuno far worse than any of the players and that in itself is an achievement

Favourite Game - Has to be the home NLD though City away pushed it close and its good to know that the point we took from Anfield ultimately cost them the title

Least Favourite Game - Pick anyone of 4 v Chelsea or any away match in Europe with Nunos 11 changes!

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Two great shouts, thinking outside the box <applause>

18. Citizen Kane.

Interesting how frequently Bryan Gil's name is popping up under most disappointing signing.

I think the disappointment stems from a feeling of 'we've been here before' with Talented Youngster X who has one or two good (not spectacular) seasons in an inferior league before moving here and ultimately flopping. Saw it with Holtby, Nkoudou, Falque and Njie and it does feel like a more expensive Groundhog Day.

I think Gil's predicament is magnified by the fact that we spent a relative fortune on him and lost one of our most popular (and useful) squad players in the other direction as part of the deal. His physique looks wholly unsuited to the rigours of PL football, while his only truly impressive season came with Leganes and they were relegated that year. Zero goals in 17 appearances for Valencia - another team who are simply miles away from us in terms of size and aspiration - and you do begin to understand why so many fans have already given up on him.

Alfie Conn likes this.
  19. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Player of the Year - Son (fronted up with or without Kane fully firing)

Most Improved Player - Dier (reborn as a defender)

Best Signing - Bentancur (by default - the rest did not stand out above him)

Worst Signing - Gil (similarly by default - due to the lack of game time to make
    any honest assessment of the boy)

Favourite Game - Vila away (went thug Adam, broke Doherty for the season,
    a classic "what does not kill you only makes you stronger" - both in the game
    itself, and possibly for the season run-in)

Least Favourite Game - Chelsky at home

and

Best loan - Romero.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  20. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Player of the Year -
    Has to be Son. <ok>

Young Player of the Year

Skipp. We’ve potentially got a real player on our hands here.

Most Improved Player

Ben Davies for me. He’s always been a “steady Eddie”, but there have been times where fans have wanted shot of him. Both he and Dier have been fantastic this season, but Davies edges it for me. I think he’s really found his position as part of that back 3. <ok>

Best Signing

Kulu. The ways he’s adapted has been superb. Cannot wait to see what he can produce with a full season under his belt.

Worst Signing
    Gil. Don’t think he’ll last much longer in all honesty. Doesn’t appear to be a conte type and I’m not convinced he’s suited to the Prem. Much like Lo Celso, I think he’ll prosper in Europe, but not in this league.

Favourite Game

3-0 vs Arsenal. So much expectation that we’d bottle it, and our season would be over. And for once we didn’t.

Least Favourite Game
    Any of the conference league matches/anything under Nuno. Absolutely diabolical, with the exception of the win against City.