1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Season over (almost) - next season?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, May 6, 2022.

1. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Looks like the Trust can't be trusted to do the right thing???

I remember when the Trust first started up and I was in favour of it as the aims were sensible and right, however I believe as time has gone on, they may have lost sight of their primary aims and maybe have become a little more concerned with retaining/gaining power instead?

As sad as it is, football clubs are businesses now and as much as we love to think they exist for our benefit in reality they only exist to make money (or at least try to).
    The true inner workings of the organisation will never be opened up to the public like us...

DaiJones and clingo like this.
  2. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

11 months ago there was a thread on the Swans board about a dilution of relationship between their Supporters Trust and the club with talk of funding received for the Trust to take legal action.

Last post on that thread in June last year so I can't see where things have gone from there. A different relationship to ours where their Trust owned 21% of club shares and they had a seat on the board.

However it appears all was not well between the 2 sides. Is this the no

I'm sure there are a couple of clubs where the relationship has worked and I believe in 1 case the Trust has taken over running the club.

I think these instances involve smaller clubs (no offence intended) and perhaps that is where they work better, with much more limited finances involved.

3. BluefromBridgend

Just googled football clubs owned by trusts:

AFC Wimbledon
    Exeter City
    Newport County

Plus a few in the next tier down.

All seem to be phoenix clubs which have risen from the ashes of failed clubs - not 100% sure on Exeter.

I guess the trusts were instrumental in the regeneration of these clubs and have kept their interest.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  4. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

If the purpose was to get the message to Malaysia that the fans want to know what the plans for the club are in moving forward with Morison and in it'll be in the right direction then fair enough.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  5. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Correct - I agree 100%.

Leaving out the ridiculous suggestion of a Trust member sitting on the board and the arrogance of the "Trust" writing the letter in the first place, there are a number of issues mentioned that reflects a fairly widespread held view.

The remoteness of businessman Chairman Dalman for whom CCFC is a side issue rather than a full time committment has been a concern for some time. Ken Choo is an able CEO but his remit seems to extend only to fiscal and contractual matters rather footballing acumen. Steve Borley is Cardiff through and through, but seems to have been marginalised since he personally kept the club afloat through a difficult financial period.

There has been a distinct lack of local senior decision taking personel with the necessary footballing knowledge with the drive and authority to make it work. The club has been run on remote control for far too long, and for all our sincere gratitude to him, you can't get much remoter than Tan.

6. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Any one on here know who is on the Trust board?

Bet the are no brick layers, Sparks, factory workers or anyone who makes anything.

Just those who think the are important.

7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Keith Morgan (Chair), Michael Spear, Tim Hartley, Phillip Nifield, Jonathan Day, Jeremy Williams, Richard Lewis, David Craig & Gareth Jones.

I know Keith Morgan is an accountant but no idea who the rest are.

8. ninian opinion

I can only imagine they’re long in the tooth City fans whom have the best interests of the club for the foreseeable future as their paramount concern.

9. BluefromBridgend

Tim Hartley is a journo, broadcaster and author.

Phil Nifield is a political and business journo.

10. ninian opinion

This has been my constant and major gripe with the administration of the club.
    There is no proper football vision and nobody there to guide the money men.
    The concept of Dalman & Choo making football decisions leaves me cold. They wouldn’t allow lay people to make decisions in their own private businesses- rather they’d rely on experts.
    This is what they should do in the football club. Tan should be advised by football experts on football related matters not Dalman & Choo who are not football experts.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.

11. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Having read both articles, neither party has acted sympathetically or, possibly, with integrity.

The trust seems not to exist legally. Who are they representing? Who were they writing their letter on behalf of?
    Some of the principles they discuss are sensible, but without authority.

We've often said on here that we need more footballing nous on the board.
    Morison seems to be puting some sensible structure in place, but could do with some experience above him to support and guide him.

Last thing we need is a loose cannon antagonising Tan.

DaiJones and BluefromBridgend like this.
  12. BluefromBridgend

Good summary Remote. <ok>

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  13. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Jeremy Williams Account Manager for an IT Solutions and Services Provider.

Michael Spear Retired Seaman (Logistics Supply Officer with Royal Fleet Auxiliary).

Gareth Jones Managing Director of Plastics Manufacturer.

Phillip Nifield Retired Journalist

Richard Lewis Programme Manager / Practitioner, Public Health Wales.

Tim Hartley Journalist and writer

Jonathan Day Local Government worker.

Keith Morgan (Chair) Chartered Accountant

David Craig Retired but have worked as a schoolteacher and more recently as a local government officer.

Just as I thought just your normal football fans who drink in the pubs in Canton.

I tell you they don't speak for me.

FrankfurterBlue and clingo like this.
  14. BluefromBridgend

More interesting will be their background in supporting City and football involvement in general.

I don't know any of them.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

There shouldn't be any difference between the "Supporters" and the "Supporter's Trust". No idea either who or how these nine people are and operate, but I could get together another 8 supporter's as well as myself and set up something and presume we speak for everyone.

That doesn't alter the fact that certain points made in that ridiculous letter to VT express the thoughts of many rank and file City supporters.

You would expect the club's local controllers (Dalman/Choo) to hyperventilate and contest both it's content and validity by issuing a strong but very defensive press release. They are obviously aware of the historic failures to progress on the footballing front - if they're not, they shouldn't be there anyway.

DaiJones likes this.
  16. ccfcremotesupport

Maybe we should run an election for chairman of the Cardiff City Trust Not606.
    I propose Clingo. He's good at banging the drum.:smiley-finger007:

17. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

Absolutely on board with this. Myself excluded, everyone seems to have as much, if not more, nous than thr trust.
    Can we have a board member as well? While we're at it we could take over the league as well.

18. robbiethemole

robbiethemole Well-Known Member

looks like you'll have plenty to occupy yourselves with during close season, even if it is short, so have a good summer guys and we'll convene for the next episode some time around August

19. ccfcremotesupport

Sparkey as secretary.
    He has the ear of Tan from his conversations on the Porthcawl Riviera ( so he would have you believe :emoticon-0105-wink: ).

BrizzleBluebird and clingo like this.
  20. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Modesty prohibits me from commenting.