1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Season over (almost) - next season?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, May 6, 2022.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So we're down to the last game of the season with the result irrelevant to both clubs and to be honest, probably the performance with outgoing players just as meaningless. With nothing at stake and with every respect to clingo's matchday thread regarding it, it feels like time to reflect on where we are generally.

This season has been the most worrying I can remember since the dark days of the HMRC winding up petitions under Ridsdale - but for totally different reasons. The football under DJ was good in the main and it was the off-field stuff that made the headlines whereas now that's been reversed - financial stability at the expense of footballing progression.

We have Tan to thank big time for bringing those dark days of a dozen years ago to an end, but even with 2 promotions to the Prem (and relegations from it) under our belts, we haven't moved forward on the pitch. Persisting recently with old school managers Warnock and McCarthy has stagnated the club, and let's face it for all his good intent, Neil Harris in between those two was just not up to it.

So it's Morison now with his new broom. Only time will tell if he's "the man" and I think a good few of us have our doubts, but he must be given a chance. It looks like this upcoming window will bring a massive change to our playing staff and hopefully to our well documented prehistoric style. It's a big ask for him to turn the club around on the pitch from strugglers to contenders in the space of one season, but that simply must be the target.

I don't think the majority of supporters will accept a stagnant season on the basis of "one for the future". I remember Dalman clearly announcing at the start of this season that top 6 was the minimum expectation. That was clearly a bridge too far for the set up of management, coaching staff and players pursuing old dogma - I doubt he'll say that again, but merely staying up should not be the target either.

We need to compete in this division from the off. Steve Cooper turned around a hopeless bottom 3 Forest squad under Hughton into auto contenders in less than a season - a similar time to Morison's tenure here. No doubt he had more to work with going there than Morison had here, but the principle is the same - there's no time like the present.

irishbluebird and clingo like this.
  2. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Beware of short-termism

Oldsparkey likes this.
  3. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Short termism generally costs and can go very badly wrong - I doubt we'll go down that road with the budgetry constraints.

On the other hand, waiting for the future is like waiting for Godot - it never arrives.

clingo likes this.
  4. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

I agree that simply waiting for the future is wasteful. I don't think we're waiting for it but instead and at last, we're trying to influence it. Patience is key.

5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

6. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Axellent!

7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I'll be back - just going for a slash. <ok>

clingo likes this.
  8. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

9. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

The playing squad is to undergo a transformation.

Morison has got the current players to try and play on the deck with the ball but the results have been mixed to say the least. So many games lost by one goal is categorical proof we’ve missed quality is in each final third.

I’ve lost track of how many games we missed good chances.

So in short he needs to bring in players who can improve on what we’ve seen this season ie someone better than Smithies/Philips; McGuinness/Nelson/Flint; Vaulks/Pack/Bacuna/Ralls and Collins/Harris/Watters.

Also I hope we see some pace out wide. Remember the luxury of choice from NML, Hoilett, Murphy/ Ojo etc? Now there’s no winger at all!

I’m relatively optimistic if he can get the players in to play the modern way rather then the leaden footed misfits we’ve suffered this season.

If he’s got to work to a budget so be it but some accumulation to reap financial rewards wouldn’t go amiss.

10. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Looks like it's not just the squad that needs a transformation.........

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...ardiff-city-supporters-trust-contact-23901567

11. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

The Supporters Trust;

Old men who think they have more power that they have. <steam><steam>

clingo and Oldsparkey like this.
  12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Agreed about the "power" misconception Dai - but that doesn't mean they're not right. <ok>

(sorry about the double negative.....<laugh>)

13. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Some of their points have merit but some are likely to pee off VT as they criticise his board appointments. He does not take criticism easily.

In fact Dalman and Choo have been in place for 6 years or so. There is an argument that they have experience in managing a football club.

I cannot see him appointing a CEO with full decision making powers. A. Extra cost to the club. B. As we have seen, he likes to keep ultimate control. With £150m +, and increasing, of his money in the club and no apparent suitable buyers, I don't think that is unreasonable.

As a result we have a Catch 22 situation.

I can see the sense in bringing in someone with a lifetime football brain but they will need time to get VT's confidence and trust before being given decision making powers. I can't see anyone from the Supporters' Trust qualifying for that position.

To have someone from the Trust on the board is likely to become an irritation as their agenda, dictated by the Trust, will be different from the high level aims of the club.

Nevertheless a more open, frequent and honest level of communication from the club can only be helpful, including infornation on where VT and the board want the club to go.

irishbluebird likes this.
  14. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

I've got a supporting truss.

BluefromBridgend and DaiJones like this.
  15. BluefromBridgend

I went to a hotel.

It was a Truss House Forte.

clingo likes this.
  16. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Owned by the Foreign Secretary?

17. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Can someone educate me on this subject please? What exactly is the Supporters Trust? Are they elected to speak on behalf of supporters in general?
    Genuine questions and in no way aimed at insulting the people involved.
    Without a full understanding, my cursary opinion is that asking club owners questions like what's the direction or what do you want from the club, is simply asking for a sound bite response. While I hold Tan with the highest regard as a principled man, I can't imagine him saying anything other than he wants the best for the club.
    Again, I admit that I don't know enough but I hope that the Trust isn't creating an issue just to increase their own profile.

18. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

19. BluefromBridgend

20. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member