1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Scraped in at Southampton, what about Burnley

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Bloody awful 1st half down the coast, just enough to get up in 2nd half. Lousy again from too many, Zappacosta, Alonso, Dave and Morata up there with the worst. Hazard got better ,but boy he's wiping millions off his price every week, Willian too greedy 1st half, better 2nd.
    This line up looks stale, dispirited and lacking ideas. Would love to see some changes for Burnley.
    Rudiger back for one, Luiz back , Alonso rested for Emerson Palmieri, and Callum Odoi given a start for either Willian or Hazard. Giroud has to start ,Morata can pack for Juve soon as he wants.
    Time to shake things up and at least give the impression we care, the same old same old have had too many chances. Might even give Bakayoko a run and see what happens.

2. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I would also start Giroud over Morata in this current set up.
    But I want to draw attention to the fact that the striker we are all asking for our manager to start ahead of Morata, our record signing, is a striker Arsenal fans had been calling for their manager to dump for the last 3 years.
    That is how bad our signings have been, when Giroud is one of the better ones.

3. BobbyD

BobbyD President

to be fair its about how the striker fits our system. The way we play hoofing the ball up the field half the time and asking our striker to hold the ball up suits giroud to a penny.

I've been saying Hazard and Willian do not work. They both like to hold onto the ball rather than move it quickly and making runs off the ball. That can't work when we play it so slowly and move up as a block so slowly as the play is condensed and we don't have enough technicians to cut apart the opposition. All opponents have to do is mark willian, our striker and hazard and we are literally nothing.

I agree with the changes you need to make though.

4. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

That's my point, so why did we break our transfer record and spend just under £70m to buy a striker who does not suit that system AT ALL!
    ****ty transfers.

5. chelsea - over 100 years of history

these last few games are basically a trot towards being on a beach. Probably too far ahead of 6th, too far behind 4th. A lot of players will drop off, probably even more so than the last few weeks.

This is going to be a very interesting summer....

6. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

I thought we were better at the weekend when we had 4 at the back and Pedro came on. I'd give that a try, got nothing to lose. Ideally with Willian and Christensen starting as they're part of my fantasy team.

7. BobbyD

BobbyD President

same but with hazard starting and willian and christensen dropped

8. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Willian would be the first name on my team sheet for every game at the moment, or maybe second name, after Kante.
    One of the few who actually puts in a shift every time.
    Unlike Hazard who seems to tire easily and can be inconsistent.
    The season when we finished 10th too, in 2016, he was the stand out player of that, admittedly ****e, team.

9. BobbyD

BobbyD President

me and gazza were talking about for next game and referring to the FF teams. I have hazard in mine and dont have willian and christensen whom all my rivals have (plus it would screw up gaz).

calm down son

10. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>
    Ahh lol, thought you meant in the the actual line up! <doh>

11. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

Afraid i've lost a bit of interest and enthusiasm,half the team don't seem bothered to me.
    Hopefully they'll make an effort for the FA cup but who knows.Would like to see some "up for it" kids
    play for our remaining league games but won't hold my breath...

12. shedend59

shedend59 Active Member

Like the idea of playing kids revamp team ect but but losing interest and enthusiasm is really harsh hardly like relegation days COYB

13. Chelsea Pensioner

And I agree with you. Our attack is identical every time either from the left or the right. I said previously, they run around until they are surrounded by defenders and we lose the ball. Everyone has sussed that out which is why we struggle against teams even lower than us. We need strength, directness and variety and our squad doesn't have any of them. Hudson Odoi gives us flair and maybe try Willian alongside Kante and see if he can make the sort of runs Lampard did. Anything is worth a try in the PL, maybe a bit more circumspect for FA.

BobbyD likes this.
  14. Chelsea Pensioner

Spot on.

15. armchairblue

Interesting line up.Morata and Giroud starting.Hazard and Willian on the bench.Rightly putting the cup
    first IMO.

Blueman likes this.
  16. Bristol Blue

Bristol Blue Well-Known Member

1-2 to the Chels says it all. A tough ground to play at and a great result, Moses deservedly gets Man of the Match. I don’t know what Morata was having a tantrum about when he was subbed. Couldn’t hear the sound because I was watching in the pub. Roll on Sunday and Southampton. :1980_boogie_down:

StanDMan likes this.
  17. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No coincidence that without Cescy & Alonso team Looks very solid.

Alonso's ban is the best thing happened.
    4th spot possible in spite of Tony's worst efforts.

18. The Ginger Marks

The lengthy lay off for Bakayoko clearly worked wonders, he hardly gave the ball away cheaply and his link up play was mostly good.

19. Chelsea Pensioner

Good to see he managed to play with some composure, couldn't have been easy after the **** that rained down on him after last start. Let's hope this is the start for him.
    My mate Moses made a goose out of me again, every time I bollock him he comes and plays really well. Everyone player well to be fair, liked Conte switching things around, 2 strikers raised some eyebrows, but the team had a flow we haven't seen all season. Bit late trying stuff out, but hope Conte keeps it up, we have a couple of players need game time to see how they go. Emerson looked the business too, good work from him.

BobbyD and The Ginger Marks like this.
  20. armchairblue

One thing i noticed last night was Conte don't look like a bloke thats on the way out,
    we shall see....

The Ginger Marks likes this.