1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Scally likes numbers - here's some to chew over

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Apr 18, 2018.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Shall we start with 3.
    3 games left of the season - thankfully - I don't think I can bear to watch much more **** football from us.
    3 out of 10(0) is the mark I'd give, for the quality of our game last night.
    3, possibly 4 is as many of the current squad I would keep ( I would cheerfully pay for O'Gilvie's bus fare out of here ) -- and talking of 4.............
    4 is the number of home wins we have achieved in almost a whole season - we managed 12 in the 2009/10 campaign - when we got relegated ! ............. anyway - let's get back to 3
    3 is not the number of managers, in a season, that we want to see - - we want to see.... 3 half decent players on the pitch ( not the real man-of-the-match being subbed through injury after 15 minutes )
    Thousands of £££ in his pocket, is the only number that seems to interest Mr.Scally - but he won't continue to get that if...............
    3 is the number I predict will be at the front of the attendance figure for Saturday.

brb likes this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

Good morning mate, trip over the cat this morning did we ;) <whistle>

alwaysright likes this.
  3. brb

brb CR250

Anyway back on topic...

I said a little while back i would only keep three players, damned if i can remember who they were <laugh>

Joking!

They were Eaves, Wagstaff, Zak and....

A fourth Holy, if he sorts out that kicking, one of my biggest gripes with keepers. If you can't kick, because we can't all be a Gazza, play it from the back!

4. alwaysright

brb
    I didn't trip over the cat - it saw me coming and moved a damned sight quicker than some (most) of our players

grumpygit and brb like this.
  5. alwaysright

and you can gather, I am a little frustrated this morning - not because of another defeat - but the nature of it !
    I have said many times that 100% effort is all I ask. It appears that I got 100% crap from the players. There was an awful lot of them not bothering to engage themselves when the ball was in their vicinity - if our fitness levels are supposed to be as good as boasted, why were we so slow to win the ball ? Wilkinson was particularly slow in looking interested.
    As for O'Gilvie - ( I am sure he is a nice guy - but ) - How can he allow an opponent who was 4 ft 0 beat him to a ball in the air ? -- which led, a few seconds later to the goal. Not only that - but - time, after time he is beaten for pace ---- Has Lovell forgotten what happened at Southend - when he had to take O'Gilvie off midway in the first half because he was being ripped up.
    And I thought Parker was playing for Rotherham - he must have passed the ball to one of their players 5 or 6 times. Reilly had a poor game - perhaps showing why Bury were happy to loan him out - perhaps Bury were hoping to avoid relegation by sending him to one of the other relegation candidates.........................

You know what - I could go on -- through just about the whole squad -- but -- I'll follow their example ( and that of Mr.Scally's efforts for its' improvement ) - and say " I can't be bothered."............now - where's that bloody cat ?

brb likes this.
  6. brb

brb CR250

I find it all interesting, for humour reasons. Someone was commenting on twitter last night about there being less than 4k in attendance and asking where the problem lay. My response was more or less...

Rotherham on a Tuesday night <laugh>

I refer to the same fixture once again on a Tuesday night in 2012, when only 3,248 supporters bothered turning up!

So part of the twitter question was the problem, well in 2012 we was L2, now we are L1, surely that's progress?...mainly due to the intervention of Steve Lovell this season it has to be said.

However, there is one remarkable difference between then and now...I struggle to name three players i would keep now, back then we had Gazza, King, Jackman, Tomlin, Essam, Weston....and Dack was coming up into the first team.

So what is that remarkable difference, I will remember all those players i just mentioned, I'm not going to remember any of the shower of shhite we have now to that same number!

And clearly it was a better game back in the day...

https://gillingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/seats-for-performance-of-the-season/

grumpygit likes this.
  7. alwaysright

oh dear brb--- you brought this upon yourself by mentioning that fixture against Rotherham -- and suggesting that it was the game of he season -- Have you forgotten what happened just two weeks later ?

8. brb

brb CR250

<laugh>

Raises some interesting questions though, would we prefer the memorable players and games from League Two then, or League One now, with less memorable capabilities in the team. Noting that Gazza went to the Prem and Dack will probably be playing Championship football next season.

So when people say on twitter how bad it is or where does the problem lay....it depends on what we are comparing it with.

Think im happy with my lot this season, however, i also accept for a better season next, we need some serious changes.

Have we got the money for the changes?...im waiting for as itstimupnorth would say, for the accounts <whistle>

9. Gills_Steve

Gills_Steve Active Member

So who do we actually want to keep for next season?

Holy
    Zakuani
    O'Neill
    Byrne
    Parker
    Eaves

Probably no-one else?

Not safe yet, by the way...

10. brb

brb CR250

I wouldn't fancy being in Rochdale's shoes at the moment, with fixture against Plymouth, Charlton, both vying for play-offs, along with Bradford who have an outside chance with games in hand. Their easiest fixture on paper being Oxford but even that is away. Even if they win their game in hand they are still 3 points off us. Then add to that Northampton and Oldham play one another last game of the season, so one of them will be at the very least guaranteed to drop two points, same as where Rochdale and Oldham drawing last night did us a big favour.

Would be nice if we could put this beyond doubt on Saturday at Blackpool, then we can sit back and let Plymouth win last game of the season and hopefully stop Charlton making it ;)

11. Gills_Steve

Gills_Steve Active Member

We're already safe from Northampton - they won't make up the goal difference.

Trouble is I suspect we'll be within 3 points of Rochdale and Oldham going into the last day of the season. And as we know all too well - anything can happen on the last day of the season!

grumpygit, itstimupnorth and brb like this.
  12. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Always you forgot these
    3 games at home without a goal
    3 shots on target apparantly
    3 players signed in January who wont be here next season.

grumpygit and alwaysright like this.
  13. alwaysright

Actually, in my original draft ( before Not606 went 'down' this morning), I did have the 3 goalless home games --- as for shots on target - was it that many ?
    btw - thanks for cheering me up
    I might make a bit of a joke with our situation - but I don't think anyone's really laughing -and it won't any better next season - and if we lose to Blackpool, I hate to think how few there will be at the final game ( and there won't be any need to ask people to keep off the pitch in their enthusiasm to show appreciation to the players ).

And a big worry regarding recruitment -- if AFC Wimbledon can afford a better deal for Cody McDonald - and if Ebbsfleet can offer Kedwell more than we could, what chance have we got of recruiting players better than what we've already got - who - quite frankly will struggle to survive next year.

brb likes this.
  14. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Was a really poor effort but against Blackburn a week earlier we matched the second bestvteam in the league so not all dome and gloom

15. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with 3, but at the beginning of the season it was all doom and gloom and nailed on relegation - we accumulated the grand total of 7 points from the first 10 games. Our last 10 games have also produced just 7 points in exactly the same manner - 1 win, 4 draws and 5 defeats.

At the start of the season we also lost games 11 and 12.

Relegation form then is relegation form now.

Looking at the current situation at the bottom of the table I am becoming more and more concerned that 52 points will not be enough to stay up this season.

After the Southend game I thought we needed another 3 points to be safe. We've now got those courtesy of 3 draws, but the gap between us and 4th from bottom has closed, and 4 of the 5 next teams below us have got a game in hand over us. Yes, usual provisos, points are better than games in hand, but this could, and is becoming more and more likely, to go down to the wire.

Saturday's game is looking far and away like the best chance of getting 3 points that we are now beginning to need more and more desperately.

16. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Ebbsfleet offered Kedwell the same amount of money each week as we did and he was joining them as they were only part time. If you remember at the time, we were managerless when Keds left and on this occasion the chairman allowed him to leave in that January. Jamie Day (yep the man with the clipboard) was in charge of the Fleet at the time and Kedwell & Day have been friends for a long time from their Welling days so it was a no brainer Kedwell, get to play football only part-time with one of your good friends in charge for the same amount of cash as a full time club.

As for McDonald it came out that he fell out with Pennock so wouldn't have stayed even if he got offered the same money.

Not always about us being unable to compete financially.

brb and grumpygit like this.
  17. alwaysright

The Gills PegLeg - thanks! I'm not entirely convinced that your account of the prevailing conditions of the events surrounding the departure of McDonald and Kedwell, is 'complete.' I am sure that if Gills had offered ' enough ' money the outcome may have been different (( for once )).
    If I totally accept your versions, these would be the exceptions to the normal conditions at GFC - where basically, for a very long time, we have not spent money on players. I appreciate that we can't spend money that we haven't got - but the actual point of this thread was about the appalling lack of real effort by too many of the team against Rotherham -- I've said many times - I don't exactly mind losing - it's the nature of the defeat that I hate............................... the cat's still avoiding me !

ps - in case I upset any animal lovers with my 'cat-kicking' references -- I don't have a cat -- but I do have to clear up other people's cat **** from my garden --- so -- all you cat lovers out there - tell me where you live and I'll gladly bring you a bag of cat crap !

brb likes this.
  18. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Rochdale 7th
    Wimbledon 10th
    Oldham 15th
    Oxford 20th
    Walsall 21st
    Gills 23rd

Form table over the last 6 games.
    (Squeaky bum time) :emoticon-0172-mooni

itstimupnorth and brb like this.
  19. alwaysright

Now the (non-existent) cat can feel easy - my 'kicking' foot has taken a different direction !
    http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/you-havent-got-a-clue-181597/

I usually have serious doubts about the journalism of KOL - but when I read what they have quoted about Lovell's responses, it's making me lose some of my admiration for the job has has done.
    The performance v Rotherham was indefensible. Supporters are realistic ( otherwise we wouldn't be supporting GFC ) - but have every right to complain about abject performances. I'm surprised that Lovell didn't say that it wasn't any worse than the previous two ( and many more ), home games - when we also achieved 0 goals.

The quoted responses in the article is very much the sort of arrogance that I thought we got rid of when Edinburgh went.
    Mr. Lovell - please choose your responses carefully - otherwise you won't be around GFC long enough to be included in the Christmas party invitations.

nb for clarification purposes
    before anyone tells me that Lovell said he doesn't mind if supporters are critical of ' performances ' - but doesn't want fans to be critical of 'work rate ' - exactly how do the two really differ ?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  20. brb

brb CR250

I hear what Lovell is saying or more read should i say, and i take all that onboard, however, as I said earlier in the thread versus Rotherham 2012, nearly the whole of our current team would not make my squad. And it's not all about money! Gazza was free for starters. Dack was only just coming up through from the youth team, the only one on any worthy decent sort of money might have been King. Basically if the work rate is there then the players are not good enough, we need to be doing a Dale Winton supermarket sweep pre-season <whistle> joke...joke