1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Saturday 23rd. Feb. 2019

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Feb 22, 2019.

1. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

Saturday's Meetings

Kempton Park

N/H 7 Races 1:15-4:45p.m.
    Lingfield
    A/W 7 Races 1:30-4:25p.m.
    Newcastle
    N/H 7 Races 1:35-5:05p.m.
    Fairyhouse
    N/H 7 Races 1:40-5:10p.m.
    Chepstow
    N/H 7 Races 1:55-5:20p.m.
    Wolverhampton(E)
    A/W 6 Races 5:30-8:00p.m.

Racecards
    At The Races

Racing Post
    Sporting Life

Good Luck <ok>

2. MCK1

MCK1 Active Member

I have a liking for Modus in what used to be the Racing Post chase at 3.35K

You could say that trying him at 3 miles for the 1st time is a last throw of the dice by connections but I still think there are plenty of positives about him tomorrow off a mark of 148 in what looks a below par renewal of this race.

In his last season of hurdling he won the 2017 Lanzarote (2 mile 5) well off 145 and went on to run 6l 6th in the Coral Cup (same distance) off a whopping 156 and top weight.
    In the intervening 2 seasons his chase for has been a bit mixed, he won 1st time out in Oct or Nov over 2 mile off 146 unfortunately he has been a little disappointing on 2 runs since both at 2 mile an unplaced and a 3rd ( both off 150)

So at only 2lbs higher than his last win and the outstanding form of his trainer I think he's a decent e/w shout at about 10/1. Could be a non-staying disaster or a stroke of genius by the trainer, I'm going for the latter.

Chaninbar and Ste D like this.
  3. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Hello, everyone. I think The Lieutenant will do very well with his novice hurdlers tomorrow but I’ll put up one of his running in a handicap hurdle. Must confess I’m really looking forward to seeing this old boy on the old racecourse again. I like him, crew. And so should you.

BURROWS EDGE (1.15 Kempton Park) is owned by The Lieutenant’s very good pal, Michael Buckley. The latter paying €140,000 for him back in ’17 following a couple of decent placed efforts in the Irish pointing field. Burrows Edge’s dam was a winner in France and she is a half-sister to De Boitron (8 time winner) and the dual Group 1 French St Leger winner Tac de Boistron. He therefore arrived at Seven Barrows with a lovely pedigree and promising form in Points.

Since being with the forum’s favourite trainer the 6YO gelding, by Martaline, has built on this to win twice and be runner-up on another 2 occasions from just 6 outings. Perhaps though his best effort came, last time out, finishing 6th in a £100,000 handicap hurdle at Sandown Park. 6th place may suggest he was easily brushed aside but, no, no, no, no, no, in a tight finish Burrows Edge was only beaten half a dozen lengths by the winner. The victor that day was Ballymoy who since that run has won 3 out of 5 and gone up 20 lbs in the weights. The 2nd home, Highway One O One, has won twice since over fences with his chase mark currently 10lbs above the mark he ran off, over hurdles, at Sandown Park. The 3rd, Equus Amadeus, has been another dual winner since that April race and is now 11 lbs higher than he was at Sandown Park. Whilst, the 4th home, Mont Des Avaloirs is now rated 2lbs higher than his run against Burrows Edge. Meanwhile, the 5th home has only had one run since (fell when second fav for another £100k handicap hurdle) and the 7th hasn’t run at all.

So in conclusion the first 4 horses home that day are now rated 20 lbs, 10 lbs (albeit over fences), 11 lbs and 2 lbs above the figure that they raced against Burrows Edge on. Our potential hero, in contrast, off 130 – will be on exactly the same mark he ran on at Sandown Park. And, potentially, very, very well handicapped as a result.

The obvious drawback to this selection is that fitness does have to be taken on trust. But I’m sure everyone will agree that the Lieutenant can ready one at Seven Barrows, when required, without the need for a prelim run – insert your own nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more joke here if you must.

Now a 6YO Burrows Edge should have improved for another summer on his back and have started to reach full maturity. Significant improvement can reasonably be expected then both due to this reason and also for the fact that those he finished so close to, at Sandown Park, have themselves improved stacks since April ’18. That form, crew, can be described as So Solid with a pair of capital ‘S’s’. What, what?!? In fact even if simply maintaining, or repeating, that level of form I can see the old boy having enough to win this card commencer at Kempton Park of the morrow.

Good luck all.

Ron, Reebok, redcgull and 1 other person like this.
  4. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I know races need sponsors, and that those sponsors must sometime change through necessity, but this is in danger of killing the tradition of a race and helping it slide into obscurity. Take the 888Sport Handicap Chase tomorrow at Kempton. This was, for years, the Racing Post Chase won by (amongst others) the flying greys Desert Orchid and Nacarat. For me the race has lost in significance with its multiple re-brandings since 2012 (Racing Plus, Betbright, Betdaq) and I wonder how long before it loses Grade 3 status. Many of us still call the Ladbrokes Trophy "The Hennessy" but for how much longer? Will this special event soon become just another handicap named after a random bookmaker. I'd just got used to calling the big handicap hurdle at Ascot "The Ladbroke" but now it is called The Betfair Exchange Trophy Handicap. The names of races do live on down the decades ................ tomorrows Kempton card sees the Adonis, Pendil Chase and the Dovecote and they have a resonance and longevity which races named after bookmakers will never have.

5. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Bags Groove out at Kempton today, i remember someone or a few on here were keen on him lto in a hot novice race at the same venue, is recompense on the cards today?

tward07 and floridaspearl like this.
  6. Exotic Dancer

Exotic Dancer Active Member

A few darts tomorrow.

Kempton
    1.15 Rhytmn is a Dancer 9/1 0.5pts ew
    1.50 Good Man Pat 11/2 1pt win
    2.25 Giving Glances 13/2 1pt ew
    3.00 Southfield Stone 10/1 1pt win (paddypower offer if Angel Breath wins)
    3.35 Talkischeap 9/2 1pt win / Double Shuffle 9/1 1pt win
    4.10 Another Crick 9/4 2pts win

Newcastle
    2.40 Newcastle Vicente 6/1 & Justyourtype 13/2 (1pt ew both - 7places with WH)

Lingfield
    2.05 Encore d'or 2/1 2pts win (Skybet cashback offer)
    3.15 Mastertheworld 10/1 1pt win (I think the fav will win obvs but this lad won last year so its a great price)

Good luck everyone.

7. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Oddy, even if they labelled it 'The Adonis, Pendil etc' sponsored by such a bookie it would keep some sort of order to what is a very boring bookie sponsored world of sport. I have to admit that I only have the 1 account, so no matter what named bookie they throw at it I wont be changing suit, unless barred I suppose, as it's all about sponsorship and money in the end. But the Racing authority must have a say in this, as you say, these names, long associated with the history of the sport resonant with the fans of that sport year after year regardless of the sponsor...

Now take the football final this Sunday, the carabo cup or whatever it is... Now depending on how old you are, it could be the Worthington, Carling, Milk Cup ( my earliest memory...) to name just seven or so different tags. But to all football fans it's the League Cup, end of...!!

OddDog likes this.
  8. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Two in the Adonis jump out petit Palais trainer/jockey in form and deadline diva fell last time bottom weight paddy on board ew shout.
    Cheers.

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.
  9. floridaspearl

Liking the look of Harry the Viking in the eider chase.

Ekbalco99 likes this.
  10. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Vincente for me! Will love the ground obv stable is in form and he will be trying some trainers you know will be running their horses to win at this time of the year and not just for a good mark! Plus the weights are already out for the GN and you could argue he won’t want to blot his mark for the Scottish National but I reckon he will he near enough top notch for this

mallafets123 likes this.

11. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Was just about to put Vicente up Wooly. Ground ideal, back to winning weight of the Scottish national, good run lto. Looks a bet to me, certainly place for the thieves.

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.
  12. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Interesting one tomorrow 2.35 Lingfield - Petit Jack- 14/1

Has a 100% record over 12f at this course including when bolting up off this mark a couple of years ago. Based on that form looks absolutely chucked in. Didn’t run too badly in a novice hurdle lto- I take that as a good sign that his well-being is still there, blinkers back on at 14/1 is worth a small play at

Ron likes this.
  13. Grade One

Grade One Well-Known Member

Morning

4.15 Chepstow-Overtown Express @ 5-1 [Betway]

Stable getting into top gear

14. ChelseaCOE2012

ChelseaCOE2012 Well-Known Member

Raz De Maree for me, about time he got back to winning ways!

mallafets123 likes this.
  15. floridaspearl

Ling 4.10 greybychioce nap of the day lump on

16. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

Modeligo 4 50 Chep took 20/1 last night , it’s halved now , expect a place at least
    Klare Castke 16/1 in the opener at kempton , paddy brennan interesting booking

oh and Wales to beat england as usual <laugh>

17. NDS

NDS Well-Known Member

Hoping Rathvinden puts up a bold show 4.00 Fairyhouse, fancy this one for the National if taking its chance this time.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

18. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Angels Breath at evens is startling. Either means that the market is wrong or that the horse isn’t the reincarnation of Arkle. Can’t wait to find out which it is.

19. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

Morning all..two bets for me today:

Chepstow 1.55pm Highest Sun 7/2. Been advised that horse is very highly regarded and should win today.

Kempton 3.35pm Double Shuffle 10/1 each way. It wasn't so long ago that he was only beaten a length by Might Bite in the 2017 King George. He went up 14lbs for that run to a mark of 166 but he’s now back down to 154. He finished fifth in this season's King George but this is a drop in grade somewhat and he will appreciate the decent ground. He was beaten just half a length in this race two years ago off 149, but likely he has improved a bit since. He looks a solid each-way play to me with a good course record and Tom George has been amongst the winners this week.
    The obvious danger is Glen Rocco who bolted up over course and distance last month. He’s gone up 13lbs for his last success though..

Good luck all and come on England later..<cheers>

Ron likes this.
  20. floridaspearl

Goodies hotspur looks like a shoe in at Crawford in the golden jacket 11/4.