1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Saturday 17th. Feb. 2018

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Feb 16, 2018.

1. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

Saturday's Meetings

Lingfield
    A/W 8 Races 12:40-4:40p.m.
    Ascot
    N/H 7 Races 1:15-4:45p.m.
    Gowran Park
    N/H 7 Races 1:25-4:55p.m.
    Haydock Park
    N/H 7 Races 1:30-5:00p.m.
    Wincanton
    N/H 7 Races 1:40-5:05p.m.
    Meydan
    Dirt&Turf 7 Races 2:30-6:00p.m.
    Kempton(E)
    A/W 6 Races 5:45-8:15p.m.

Racecards
    At The Races

Racing Post
    Sporting Life

Good Luck <ok>

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  2. DreverSpur

DreverSpur Well-Known Member

I have backed Blaklion, Waiting Patiently, Black Corton and Gold Present. Interested in how Our Duke gets on over a trip shorter than ideal but I haven't backed that one.

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.
  3. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I know there are "purists" on the forum who think the intermediate distance of the Ryanair Chase at the festival dilutes the quality of both the Champion Chase and Gold Cup fields BUT you have to say the Ascot Chase is an absolute belter and has attracted a far better field than either the Denman Chase or Game Spirit Chase at Newbury last Saturday. In my opinion we need a 2m4f Championship Hurdle race at the festival, it would produce some classic races.

This is the day that Waiting Patiently emerges at the highest level in racing. Prepare to be amazed <ok>

4. NDS

NDS Well-Known Member

The country set will tell you that Top Notch is just that and not for the beating, or so i was told
    last Saturday when Henderson had that wonderful losing treble up which came the same way as this.

Think I'll watch this one out.

5. stick

stick Bumper King

Nice little bumper at Ascot tomorrow and a few I like on pedigree. I put a line straight through Hendersons as its a p2p winner and odds on! Baileys and Tizzards both appeal on pedigree but the one I really like is Suzy Smiths ROSY WORLD @ 28/1.
    The dam raced for this yard and won her bumper on debut by 10 lengths before winning again under a penalty. She went on to be second in the Pertemps at the Festival achieving a rating of 149. Only one foal has run to date and its bumper form is 202 with the 0 being in the mares listed bumper at the Aintree Festival. It looks like she passes on a fair amount of her ability and it looks to me that Rosy World is massively overpriced.

6. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

History has not been kind to Lecomte Stakes winners in the Risen Star Stakes.

In that regard, Instilled Regard will be running against the odds when he breaks from the starting gate as the presumptive favorite in the $400,000 Grade II race on Saturday at the Fair Grounds.

In the past two decades, only twice has the winner of the Lecomte Stakes managed to repeat his winning effort in the Risen Star, the second leg of the Fair Grounds' 3-year-old Kentucky Derby prep series. International Star swept both races in 2015, and Friesan Fire did it six years earlier.

In fact, the Lecomte winner has finished last in the Risen Star as many times as he's finished first in that span.

So Instilled Regard will be trying to defeat history, along with eight other 3-year-old colts, on Saturday at the venerable Gentilly oval.

And he just might be good enough to pull it off.

The chestnut brown son of Arch has never finished off the board in five career starts. His 92 Beyer Speed Figure he earned for his 3 3/4-length victory in the Lecomte was the second fastest of any 3-year-old at a distance of more than a mile this year. He is trained by Hall of Fame conditioner Jerry Hollendorfer and will be ridden by star jockey Javier Castellano.

Instilled Regard has been installed as the 8-5 morning line favorite, but he is far from a shoo-in in the competitive field of 10, which will feature shippers from the powerful Todd Pletcher barn and the always dangerous Calumet Farm string of Hall of Fame trainer Wayne Lukas.

The Risen Star is the final major prep race for the March 24 Louisiana Derby in Churchill Downs' Road to The Kentucky Derby series. It awards the first four finishers points according to a 50-20-10-5 scale toward qualification for the Kentucky Derby, May 5 at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Ky.

Seven of the 10 starters in this year's field have recorded Beyer Speed figures between 82 and 92. Five have won or placed in graded stakes races. And four have won a route race going two turns.

Pletcher's Noble Indy is undefeated in two starts and is certain to be popular at the betting windows. Noble Indy will break from Post 2 under John Velasquez, who travels from his winter base at Gulfstream Park to pilot the WinStar Farm product.

"We were just looking for a logical prep timing wise," said Pletcher, who won the 2012 and 2010 Risen Stars with El Padrino and Discreetly Mine. "He's been doing really well and came out of last race well. There are essentially options every weekend but we feel like this is a good spot for him. He's shown a tremendous amount of talent not only in the mornings but in both of his races. He's a horse with a pedigree that suggests he'll handle longer distances."

The Lukas-trained Bravazo won his 3-year-old debut at Oaklawn Park on Jan. 13 with an 89 Beyer Speed Figure, the third fastest in the field. He placed second in the Grade I Breeders Cup Futurity at Keeneland on Oct. 7.

Lukas is expected to scratch his other Risen Star entrant, Kentucky Club.

The local contingent is led by a pair of Steve Asmussen trainees, Principe Guilherme (7-2) and Snapper Sinclair (8-1), who finished second and third behind the winner.

Principe Guilherme, which is Portuguese for Prince William, did not have the best trip in the Lecomte. He was bumped at the start and raced wide around both turns while finishing a non-threatening second, the first loss of his three-race career.

Snapper Sinclair showed nice improvement in the Lecomte, only his second dirt start after racing three previous times on the grass. He'll break from Post 4 under jockey Adam "The Biscuit" Beschizza.

Louisiana-bred Givemeaminit is expected to be the local favorite. Trainer by New Orleans native Dallas Stewart and owned by Valene Farms, the son of Star Guitar might challenge Noble Indy for the early lead. He's coming off an impressive eighth-length maiden win against state-bred company on Jan. 28.

And you can never count out any horse trained by Brad Cox, the leading trainer at the current Fair Grounds meet.

His Risen Star entrant, High North (15-1), might have the longest odds of his eight starters on the card, but he's a live long shot. He broke his maiden going the Risen Star's 1 1/16th-mile distance at Keeneland on Oct. 26 and finished a troubled fourth in the Grade II Kentucky Jockey Club at Churchill Downs.

7. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Had a look at this race and I'd go for noble Indy. My Mrs liked the name as well because her horses stallion was an American Indy

8. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

Away from the main action Shanahan Star attempts to win the 3 25 Wincanton again, I'm sure wooly will have an opinion!!

At Haydock, mysteriee will enjoy his feather weight and the testing track he also likes, at 10/1,overpriced

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.
  9. ChelseaCOE2012

ChelseaCOE2012 Well-Known Member

Gotta be cue card tomorrow, 10/1 is a steal

10. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

I'd love for you to be right but i think he's done

11. ChelseaCOE2012

ChelseaCOE2012 Well-Known Member

Old boys double Court Minstrel and Cue Card 160/1!

I agree badge kind of, i think he's got one big win in him left, and he loves a bit of Ascot, he's too old for the cheltenham hill these days but at Ascot he's definitely capable of beating these young guns and with Paddy back on, 10/1 is a lovely price, even as an e/w for cover, can't see him out the top 3 and think he might just have a bit too much for a few still, i hope they retire him into the sunset after this race though just so he can bow out with a win!

12. smokethedeadbadger

Even without backing them, i'd be ecstatic if these two won tomorrow.

13. smokethedeadbadger

Mights aswell chuck in Zarkander too pal

ChelseaCOE2012 likes this.
  14. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

15. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Stable expecting a place the feeling is he may find one or two that little too good for him on his current mark This is a step up in class for him and he has been busy but is not acting like a 13 yo at home will give his all from the front and in his current form ground no problem I couldn’t put you off backing him. But rudey hard to see your pick reversing the form he was smashed by George (Goring One) and altho is again now better off in the weights he has to come back to form!

rudebwoy likes this.
  16. smokethedeadbadger

Scoop 6/Lucky 63:

1:40 Wincanton - The Flame 6/1
    3:00 Ascot - Le Patriote 5/1
    3:15 Haydock - Mysteree 8/1
    3:35 Ascot - Waiting Patiently 2/1
    3:50 Haydock - Arthurs Gift 11/1
    4:10 Ascot - Laugharne 9/1

A few shorties at Gowran Park:Win Acca

1:25 - Mall Dini Evens
    2:00 - Our Duke 13/8
    3:10 - Mick Jazz 11/8
    4:55 - Owencurra Lass 9/2 (Win Single)

And some in Meydan: Win Lucky 31/Acca without Bannock:

2:30 - Tupi 7/1
    3:05 - Bannock 40/1 (EW Single)
    3:40 - Heavy Metal 1/2
    4:15 - Yalta 11/10
    4:50 - Furia Cruzada 5/1
    6:00 - Silver Line 6/1

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  17. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Gold Present a notable non-runner with a vets certificate for a bruised foot.

18. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Bit of a cliff horse for me,but won me quite a few quid a couple of years ago. Solstice star. His form is poor but he looked progressive when running up a five timer in 2016. He's had a wind op so hopefully done the trick.

19. NDS

NDS Well-Known Member

Couple of themes going on today, so for a couple of silly bets

Lucky 15 / Acca
    Ascot 1.50 Black Corton
    Hayd 3.15 Blaklion
    Hayd 3.50 Black Ivory
    Kemp 6.15 Black Sails

Super Heinz
    Ascot 3.00 Stowaway Magic
    Ling 1.10 Aye Aye Skipper
    Ling 2.55 Ay Ay
    Ling 3.30 Nautical Haven
    Winc 2.15 Sea Wall
    Kemp 5.45 Sea Ess Seas
    Kemp 6.15 Black Sails

Fastest way to the poor house Right there.

Ekbalco99, rudebwoy and LG like this.
  20. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

You said it <laugh>