1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Sanchez to Man City

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Apr 12, 2017.

1. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

I feel like this could be huge if true so it deserves its own thread.

Sky reporting that City have a genuinely strong interest in signing Alexis in the Summer. He has 14 months left and we're apparently thinking of cashing in. To make matters worse, Chilean media have reported that he's already agreed a deal in principle with Man City and is waiting for the summer to join them. If true, it would certainly go a long way in explaining his dip in form.

It goes without saying that we shouldn't have let it get to this stage with our best player (once again), but here we are. So what do we do? Do we risk keeping an unhappy player at the club next season that could damage squad morale even more? Or do we cash in?

There's no easy solution to this, but for me, I would rather have him training with the reserves than sell him to one of our rivals. The days of selling our best players were meant to be over, yet now it seems like we're heading back to the dark days again. If we sell him to City, the poisonous atmosphere around the club will be amplified even further.

The fact that this is even a possibility is worrying enough...

2. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

It's too late, whether Sanchez stays or goes. The real problem is Wenger staying, he is the root cause of all this sh1t storm. Any normal person would wind down his contract and say his good byes. Instead we have our manager flirting with the media on whether he is staying or going. Unfortunately the results have been so dire that the flirting has turned into frustration and he can't find the right time to announce it. Like a cheap tart on a Friday night, he no longer wants the attention after giving it the come on all night.

3. BrunelGooner

Him leaving is one thing, but who he leaves for is another issue altogether.

If we're going to sell him, I'd much prefer he goes back to Spain, Italy, France or Germany. If the speculation linking him with City is true, I'd rather we keep him at the club and not sell him because that would suggest that we're not going to be bending over for the big boys once again. Fact of the matter is we simply can't risk gift-wrapping the title to a rival by selling them our best player. It would be utterly criminal. This has shades of van Persie all over again.

I agree that uncertainty over the manager's future is the bigger problem, but we don't want to be adding even more problems to our already long list!

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  4. lazarus20000

,I agree it would be foolish for us to sell to a direct competitor and Sanchez would significantly improve any top team in the PL. But it would also signal that we are going backwards selling our best players. We've only just starting doing it and to lose them after a few years would be detrimental to our development as a club.

Only way we can stop the rot is by getting a top manager like Allegri, who could come in and persuade the likes of Sanchez to stay.

Sign Da Ting and BrunelGooner like this.
  5. AndyI

AndyI Well-Known Member

All the power is with Sanchez as you have let him run his contract down.

If he's decided he wants to go to City or Chelsea and he won't go abroad as you would prefer, all you can do is refuse to sell.him.

Fine, he just stays for another year and knows he's getting a massive signing on fee from City or Chelsea when he signs as a free agent.

Even with only a year left on his contract he would command at least a £40M transfer fee, as he's in that top bracket.

Can the club afford to lose out on that payday?

6. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

if we got a gigantic sum of money from City, I wouldn't mind selling him to them. Sanchez is turning 29 next season anyway, so we arguably got him at his peak (shame for him though...) I would use that money to bring in a proper world class replacement.

7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

<laugh> <laugh> Suggestions?

8. crackerman jack

crackerman jack Well-Known Member

I'm sure they will be lining up! :emoticon-0110-tongu

9. BrunelGooner

Some reports suggesting that City aren't being put off by the £50m price-tag we've slapped on him.

Even if City do offer £50m+, and as tempting as it may be, purely on a matter of principle, I still wouldn't sell him unless it's to a foreign club.

We're hardly strapped for cash...

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  10. chelsea - over 100 years of history

True but can even you afford to give up 40-50 million just to keep an unhappy player for a year? And then have him sign for who he wants in a year anyway. May be worse than City, could be us or Spurs. Business men aren't as sentimental as fans either.

Obviously you can try and push him abroad but if he refuses I feel you'll just have to sell.

I'm amazed at how many players contracts you have expiring next summer. Leaves you in a weak position negotiating contracts or potentially losing good players on the cheap or for free even. Utter madness

11. BrunelGooner

Yeah, you'd have thought we'd have wised up and learned from previous mistakes. Obviously not it seems. I'm not exactly sure what these mugs are paid to do.

That being said, some other reports are emerging that we're apparently set to pay Sanchez £300k p/w. Assuming it's true, I just hope it doesn't have a knock-on effect because my fear is that the other players we have, many of whom haven't performed well enough in my opinion, may end up demanding more money, which would inflate our wage bill exorbitantly.

Football is mad.

12. yossarian

yossarian Well-Known Member

Then just tell them they've been **** and don't deserve it. What are they going to do?

13. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

This whole Sanchez issue is reminding me of the Van Persie, Nasri, Fabregas situations. We were supposed to be past this, and yet here we are again facing the prospect of losing our best player to a rival. This goes beyond Wenger and is the responsibility of the board and our negotiators to sort these situations out before they become a mess like this one is looking to become.

Sign Da Ting and white_gunner like this.
  14. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

heres a question:

If Sanchez went to Chelsea or Man City, would you boo him next season if he plays against us?

Im not sure i would; I could never fault him for not putting in enough effort, and I would understand if he would want to go to a club that looks like it would win things.

Especially at the age of 28/29, it would be his last hurrah...

15. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Does it really go beyond Wenger? If Wenger was not such a ****ing control freak, we would have a proper sporting director who might have sorted out these issues, not some ****ing yes man like Dick Law. Also, no doubt that whatever deal we offer to Sanchez, that offer has to be ratified by Wenger first, and we all know how much of a stingy **** he is.

16. Sir Tennisball

Sir Tennisball Well-Known Member

If this is true, best case for you guys is to make it clear to him you wont sell to an English club, & stick him in the reserves.

You'd then hope that one of the big spanish, german or Italian clubs bid for him. Even if they offer 10 mil less than City etc it would be worth it in the long run...

And from the player's side, he should prefer to move immediately for a big pay rise rather than rot in the reserves on his current salary for a year.

Yes he may get less money than he would at City, but I cant see many players waiting out the year in those circumstances.

Of course that's my general view of these kinds of situations. Personally I don't see Wenger taking such a tough line on a player, you may know of past cases where he did but as a United fan I can't recall hearing about any...

17. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Best case scenario is Sanchez stays and Wenger goes.

Worst case scenario is Sanchez goes and Wenger stays.

What do you think is the most likely of the 2 scenarios

18. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I think its unlikely. Think if Sanchez goes it will be to Bayern or PSG.

19. lazarus20000

Sanchez goes and Wenger stays. However Sanchez could stay if a big enough club doesn't come sniffing. If it's Bayern then he should be gone. I don't think Sanchez is after money and if we know that next season won't be much different with Wenger then he'll know too and will want to leave. He's too good to stay with Wenger in charge.

20. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Im gonna bet on them both staying. And both are announced at the same time.