1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sanchez insists he wants to stay in London if he leaves Arsenal

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, Mar 30, 2017.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/29/chels...-stay-in-london-if-he-leaves-arsenal-6541959/

‘I am happy in London and I hope to finish my contract at Arsenal,’ Sanchez said at a press event in Santiago.

‘I want to stay in a winning team and keep playing in the same city. I want to play in a team that has aspirations

‘I’m 28 years old, I still have a lot ahead of me. I am a player who takes great care of himself.’

What exactly does that mean??? He wants to leave Arsenal for Chelsea or is he waiting for some changes at Arsenal? Good grief, just imagine the fallout should he leave for Chelsea and Wenger was still in charge. That would be one hell of a sh1t storm.

2. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

This is the concern for me! Why did he not say anything about signing a new contract as opposed to finish his contract, thus having us by the short n curly's potentially allowing a free transfer and a big payday for himself!
    "I am happy in London and I hope to finish my contract at Arsenal," Sanchez said at a press event in Santiago.

3. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

At the end of the day, if he wanted to stay at Arsenal, he would have just signed a new contract by now.
    Its obvious he wants out.
    Whether that is across London, or across Europe remains to be seen.
    But at this stage, I cannot see him staying, he has had new contract offers put under his nose all season.

4. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I think he will go this summer, however I do think he will move to a different league.

I think after the whole van persie debacle coupled with Liverpool not selling us Suarez, our board would take slightly less money to sell Sanchez abroad.

Things often get lost in translation as well. I have no idea how people interpreted him saying "i am happy in London" as "I want to move to Chelsea". I think he was trying to say he is willing to not force a move and see out his contract.

5. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Barca offered them £35m more than Arsenal did.
    That might have had something to do with it.

6. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Well he is obviously happy with life in London but is probably unsure about Arsenal.

Im sure if we threw a truck load of money at him he would stay. (In other words match watch the likes of Chelsea would be willing to pay)
    - The problem with that is.. we have this ridiculous pay structure that doesnt seem to be merit based.

7. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I think for Sanchez its just as much about ambition and winning than the money though.
    He has seemed to be frustrated in games when things dont go to plan and when results are not right.
    He explicitly said he wants part of a team with a winning mentality, and for all of Arsene's bullshit bluster about there being "Only one team in London".....if there is only one team in London with a winning mentality right now, it certainly isn't Arsenal.
    Not Wumming, just saying how it is.

8. lazarus20000

I think all the players need to pipe down and get on with it. But Sanchez should rightfully be upset with the current state of affairs but he, as well as Ozil, should have done their homework before they came. Had they properly followed Arsenal then they would have seen the decline for quite some time, especially Wenger. No matter how much waffle the manager and players will mask our failures and deficiencies.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Quilllogic likes this.
  9. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Yeah but like all new signings, he was probably promised the world in the negotiations.
    All Sanchez saw from the outside was that Arsenal qualify for the CL every year and have players like Ozil.
    Plus he would have been told about the financial constraints because of the new stadium and how that is all changing now, and that he would be the second world class signing of many and yadda yadda.
    Agree that he shouldn't be mouthing off to the press though.
    Like I said earlier, if he wanted to stay at Arsenal, he would have signed a new contract already, they have been shoving it under his nose for the last 6 months.
    And I dont think Arsenal are quibbling over the wages.
    If he wants 250k per week, then pay it to him, thats how much the best footballers get paid these days. Ronaldo and Messi are on similar sums, and we have just offered Hazard 300k per week.
    Its ****ing crazy, but football agents have engineered it so that these are the going rates now.

10. Tibbers

Tibbers Active Member

Now there's a report saying Chelsea may offer £100million double deal for Alexis Sanchez and Romelu Lukaku.

11. lazarus20000

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has just been asked if he or anyone at Chelsea have been given any indication that Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez has expressed a desire to move to Stamford Bridge in the summer.

Conte is giving nothing away out of 'respect' for both sets of players.

"I don't like to speak about the other players of the other clubs. It's not the right moment to speak about this," he said.

Interesting that he hasn't ruled it out, could easily have if the story had no legs. But something is surely up with this. I would be amazed if we let him go to Chelsea and Wenger stayed on, the fans would go mental with Wenger out. If the atmosphere is toxic now, it would be unbearable should this happen!

Quilllogic likes this.
  12. Quilllogic

Quilllogic Active Member

I don't really think its about the money with Sanchez.
    He just wants to play with people that have a winning mentality and will put in 100% every game.
    He is very frustrated that there aren't many Arsenal players who are on the same wavelength as him.

13. lazarus20000

Sadly this is true. He would have fitted seamlessly with our early teams but the current one is too soft and lacking a winning mentality. It's hard to fault him for wanting to leave, as it pains me to say.

14. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

He's off to Chelsea

15. lazarus20000

I can't see it. Even the Arsenal Board aren't that stupid to let him go to Chelsea, that would be insane. Or are they...?

16. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

with 1 year to go on his contract, Alexis will decide where he wants to go.
    Not Arsene or your board, IMHO.

yossarian likes this.
  17. lazarus20000

The only way i can see him going to Chelsea is as a free agent. The Board is already unpopular and the fans would be in an uproar if they sold him next season to Chelsea. But i do agree that Arsene and the Board have little control over Sanchez's decision making.

18. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

50m + 50m for Alexis (1 year) & Lukaku (2 year) will be ideal.
    No one should overpay for Lukaku, he might become next Torres / Pogba.

19. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Pride or Pragmatism?
    More or less, You won't have CL footy next season. Letting your valuable asset on a free?
    That is not an easy decision tbh.

20. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Shhh @Tobes might hear you.

Lukaku will be sold for no less than a gajillion dollars.