1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Salah

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Sucky, Feb 17, 2021.

?

Best of the modern era

Poll closed Feb 24, 2021.
  1. Suarez

90.0%
  2. Nando

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mo

10.0%
  1. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

The man's numbers for us are quite simply ridiculous.

Doesn't get half the love nando or Luis got imo.

Not sure why really

Personally Luis for me was the best player there. Possibly the most talented player I've ever seen for Liverpool bar stevie.

Mane - Suarez - Salah

Now that Woulda been some frontline

2. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Mo Salah is a Liverpool legend in my eyes, and I still dont think he gets the respect he deserves. Has been consistently amongst the top scorers in world football over the past 4 years, as well as having a lot of assists.

He's already surpassed his goals tally vs last season, and it's been under the radar because of the team's results. He's been low key carrying our attack this year.

Bumps, Sucky and THE FOOL like this.
  3. moreinjuredthanowen

the debate is really "best" or "most talented" imo.

Mo is clearly the best as he's delivered. suarez was sat banned for large portion of his LFc career. Talent is a whole other debate.

If its most skilful or hardest working its suarez.

if its one capable of a completely unpredictable piece of magic its suarez

If its the best "striker" then its none of the above as the modern era should encompass more than just 2000+ Folwer imo was the best striker we had i nthe prem followed closely by rush (and its only not rush due to his speed in the final years was lessened) then torres and probabaly only then owen. Suarez and salah don't come close in terms of pure striking.

Mo was quicker, as strong and has a great shot on him but he does miss the target a lot. Peopel seriously underestimate mo salah for some reason.

Bumps, redcgull, Sucky and 1 other person like this.
  4. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

In terms of pure numbers Salah is the best. Now, he’s playing in a better team and the best manager we’ve had since the 80s so also has that going for him but his goal per game is just incredible. Especially when you think he does start out wide although wide forwards these days are very different from wide players 10/15 years ago.

The guy is just ruthless and selfish. That first season he put up ridiculous numbers and he was wasteful!! Those first 5 games we all wondered what the fuss was and why we paid 30m for someone that was missing all these chances.

I wouldn’t say he’s particularly skilful, doesn’t have many tricks, right foot is iffy, can’t head the ball, but he scored goals and even after 4 years no one has consistently managed to stop him scoring with that left foot.

I don’t think he does get the credit as he’s won golden boot couple times. Worse season wa a last year when he won the league and ‘only’ managed 19 goals and 10 assists in 34 games. Already has 17 goals in 23 games this year in a season we’ve been poor.

You’d do well to find me someone that plus right wing whose numbers get anywhere close to him over the last 4 years.

Sucky likes this.
  5. moreinjuredthanowen

excoriating :) however hard the review i bolded above, there's a bit of truth in it. I think he not as good as mane with the head but i wouldn't go so far as you've put it. that said you are right, in terms of numbers he's unreal.

If we contrast to torres, torres has a regular supply off gerrard that was every bit as good as salah has, he had a top manager who set team up around him. If anything the difference for me is torres couldn't cope physically with the amount of games rafa put him through whereas salah seems bullet proof. Suarez seems similarly bullet proof bar bans.

6. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

Suarez missed the first 8 games of a season due to biting incident. Never took penalties and still managed to tie the premier League goalscoring record. Yes Salah then beat it, but Suarez could have destroyed it.

Salah plays in a much better team than Suarez did and you would be hard pressed to find a non worldie from Suarez.

Best player I've ever seen for us

Zorba, ademuzzy and Jimmy Squarefoot like this.
  7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

No doubting his numbers it's his ability to pass the ball 5 yards to another Liverpool player when under no pressure that gets questioned.

Zorba and Zanjinho like this.
  8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

9. Jimmy Squarefoot

Did Salah take penalties in his first season?

Suarez was a different animal - goals and assists.

10. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

TBF, Salah didn't take set pieces back then

11. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Dont disagree suarez is a better player. after messi and Ronaldo he’s best player in the world over last 7/8 years.

however in terms of goal scoring numbers for us Salah out does him. 32 in his first season and that’s just in the prem..

12. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Better goal scoring numbers but there are other things to consider like the quality of players around him, his assists, his role, etc.

I don't believe Salah isn't loved, I think it's more like Owen when he played for us; previous players were just loved more (Torres, Suarez, Fowler, etc)

13. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Yeah I don’t disagree. Like I said in terms of just pure numbers he’s the best. But suarez is a far better all round player for example. Mane is much more consistent and threatening throughout a game for example but then Salah will score 2 goals

Jimmy Squarefoot and Zanjinho like this.
  14. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

And he plays in a side that contains other players that are (Mane, VVD) or were (Bobby) loved more too

15. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I think his selfishness is a big part of it too.

Rush was very selfish and loved but played in a old school striker role too.

16. Jimmy Squarefoot

I disagree with this. I think Mane looks more threatening because he often stands up players and actively beats them. But Salah is always an out ball on the right, he occupies 2-3 defenders, he creates space, he gets into the box etc etc. Salah has more assists and chances created than both Bobby and Mane since he joined. Salah is our best attacker in pretty much every aspect.

THE FOOL and Sucky like this.
  17. Jimmy Squarefoot

Best mins/goal ratios in Liverpool history in all competitions (100+ apps):

Mo Salah - 129
    John Aldridge - 130
    Fernando Torres - 135
    Luis Suárez - 138
    Daniel Sturridge - 140
    Gordon Hodgson - 141
    Michael Owen - 148
    Robbie Fowler - 154
    Jack Parkinson - 154
    Roger Hunt - 154

Ridiculous numbers by Salah. Suarez would have been higher had he been in a better team ...

Sucky likes this.
  18. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

First time you've put that in these arguments, he recently overtaken the others?

19. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

I think when you've got a classic number 9, you expect them to be selfish as they're the focal point of the attack; all passes lead to them. They're not going to have 10 chances a game, but perhaps 1/2 really good ones which they'll usually take. When you play the modern 3 up front, two being wide forwards, you expect them to be less selfish and create opportunities for each other, especially when the number 9 is Firmino who drops much deeper.

I know the stats show that Salah is one of our top assisters, but my eyes constantly show me the examples where he took a shot when a pass was the far better option. It's not a case of "he already assists a lot", it's a question of "could he assist more for the benefit of the team?" and the answer is definitely yes. I do think he's wasteful at times but in previous seasons, that wasn't really an issue as we created so many each game that we'd bag 3/4 regardless. When you're on poor form as a team, you need to be taking those chances or laying them off to best placed player to do so and that's not always what he does.

As to why he's not seen in the same light as Torres, Fowler or Suarez, maybe it's because we have so many stars in this team now that the net of supporters' idols is spread wider. His numbers will speak for himself when he leaves/retires, but you do have to consider the players who surrounded those individuals.

20. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

The figure i can't get over is Sturridge at 140 . I think because of all the injuries etc we sometimes forget how good his finishing was .

Sucky likes this.