1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saints vs Wigan Match Ratings

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints Fan4Life, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Well we started off well, but faded after about 20 minutes and it went steadily downhill imo, so I'll try to be fair

Kelvin Davis - 6, Made a good save but couldn't do much about their goals.

Nathaniel Clyne - 6, Some good movements attacking-wise but defensively I feel he could have been better.
    Jose Fonte - 6, Did nothing wrong at centre back, but his lack of pace cost him for their second goal.
    Jos Hooiveld - 6, Looked more calm than he did last week that's for sure.
    Danny Fox - 6, A bit of a bruising afternoon for him! Some flashes of brilliance in there as well.

Morgan Schneiderlin - 6, Very good techically but I wish he would close down more often.
    Steven Davis - 7, Very energetic performance with good positioning and passing ability. Very promising start to his Saints career.
    Adam Lallana - 6, Hit and Miss for the new captain, I'm not convinced on him in the middle yet.

Jay Rodriguez - 5, He is wasted on the wing and despite working hard, he didn't produce much.
    Rickie Lambert - 5, Kept being fouled and struggled to get into the game today I think.
    Guly do Prado - 5, A good start but faded badly and boy did he fade. Looked a shadow of his former self second half.

James Ward-Prowse - 5, A promising player as he is, it was the wrong substitution at the time.
    Billy Sharp - 5, Barely got the ball to create anything which is a shame.

Thoughts? I look forward to the obligatory slating and post your ratings below!

2. The Based God

The Based God Active Member

Fair ratings, I'm sure people will post 2's, 3's and 4's though.

3. Ivan Golac's shoe laces

Ivan Golac's shoe laces Active Member

The ratings are quite fair now I have calmed down a bit to post reasonably ...one observation make Davis captain take the extra pressure of adam

4. SuperSchneid

SuperSchneid Well-Known Member

KD - 6

NC - 6

JF - 5

JH - 5

DF - 6

MS - 7

SD - 6

AL - 7

GDP - 5

RL - 5

JR - 5
    Have to stop this 4 3 3 doesnt suit our team

5. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Give the ref about 4, some of the challenges Wigan did were a disgrace. Fox got clattered at least 4times.

6. RLSGM

RLSGM Member

agree with clynes rating but the other way around, defensively he was calm and assured, going forward he was indecisive and along with Guly very wasteful down the right. Think morgan had a decent game does his job well, as did all 3 CMs, Lallana was the best player on the day, only player who looked a threat.

its all well saying 'they did nothing wrong'

but, this is the best league in the world, we dont want players to do that, we want them to produce something excellent, thats the difference in this league, you HAVE to create something and not just coast, which was good enough for the championship but not now, i trust in the players to learn, but we need some new flair signings with a bit of pace down the wings as we were so flat and slow it was painful.

7. AreYouUpset

AreYouUpset Member

Davis - N/A
    Fox - 5
    Fonte - 5
    Hoovield - 5
    Clyne - 5
    Davis - 7
    Lallana - 7.5
    Morgan - 7
    Rodriguez - 5
    Guly - 6
    Lambert - 5

PLEASE STOP 451 in these sort of games REVERT BACK TO 442 with Sharp starting (And Lallana over to the left like last season) in games we can try to dominate or take opponent toe to toe. I'm ok with 451 against top sides but not against teams outside the top 6

I thought Guly and Clyne's inability to work together on the right hand side was very disappointing. Neither played the ball to the other when an overlap run was being made. Rickie although he had a poor game was very isolated at times with no one in range to knock the ball down to, often his target man role was passing back to the centre of the midfield..at the end Fonte should have punted it long early instead of trying a cryuff turn in that area of the pitch with so few men back. Rodriguez looks highly ineffective on the left hand side and didn't really offer us anything at all.

gave Lallana an extra 0.5 for the first half that way I had a motm

8. frankimus

frankimus Active Member

Kelvin Davis - 6

Nathaniel Clyne - 6.5
    Jose Fonte - 5.5
    Jos Hooiveld - 5
    Danny Fox - 5

Morgan Schneiderlin - 6
    Steven Davis - 7
    Adam Lallana - 7

Jay Rodriguez - 5
    Rickie Lambert - 5.5
    Guly do Prado - 6.5

James Ward-Prowse - 5.5
    Billy Sharp - 5

Lack of pace up front was very evident in this performance. Ramirez/Phillips will be crucial to play off Lambert as Guly wasnt fast enough to take advantage of his layoffs. With this team id prefer to see Guly in the middle, Lallana on the left and Rod on the right..

Davis and Schneiderlin worked very hard in the middle.

Fox was playing long ball too often, lost posession so many times.

Clyne worked hard but sometimes worked a little too hard, could have linked up with Guly a bit better but overall good performance. Guly was outstanding in the first half but tailed off in the second, the teams overall performance dipped with his. Shows how key he is for us.

We basically lost because of 2 CB mistakes from a position we know we are in the market for two of. And also because we didnt take our chances (which we had more of) than they did. All in all, its disappointing we lost, but Im not too worried.

9. Saintjoey

Saintjoey Well-Known Member

The things that worries most about today was how easilly the midfield went missing in the 2nd half. I realise we pushed J-Rod up but it meant that Wigan, at a time when they already had dominance in the midfield, were able to monopolize possession even more. I thought a few of our players (S. Davis and in particularly Morgan) were excellent without the ball - organised, hardworking and read the game well but with the ball it was only Lallana who looked to have a spark. SOme neat touches from Lambert were wasted by a lack of players running past him. So rather than pick on individual errors I think Wigan's system worked very well against us (remember playing against 3 at the back and a packed midfield is pretty foreign to our lot) and we were tactically outclassed which meant that on the pitch we were often chasing shadows. However, I think we'll play many teams who play worse than Wigan played today over the course of the season.

10. mightysouthampton

mightysouthampton Active Member

Davis - 6 Wasn't his best day.

Clyne - 6 Needed to take on their defenders more. Some good interceptions though.
    Fonte - 5 Disappointing perfomance
    Hooiveld - 5 Same as above.
    Fox - 5 I think the injury made him become more defensive, we missed his overlaps in the second-half.

Schneiderlin - 6 Steady performance, better in the first half.
    Davis - 6 Another steady performance. Maybe should have gotten forward more to support Lambert.
    Lallana - 7 Our best player by far I think.

Guly - 5 Disappointed for him. Gets a lot of stick. Had some good spells in the first half, hardly any in the second.
    Lambert - 6 NEEDED someone alongside him. Most of the game he had 2-3 defenders on him. Dragged himself out wide to get into the game. Someone next to him and he would have been a lot better. Couple of good shots in the second half.
    Rodriguez - 5 Outwide isn't his best position. Some tidy passes in the first half.

Sharp & Ward-Prowse - Not enough time to rate.

Player I think we should of brought on is Richardson. Instead of J-W-P coming on and playing outwide, I think Richardson should have come on and played RB with Clyne moving to RM. We needed pace and Richardson has one hell of a cross on him. Lambert needed service.

11. Reginald

Reginald Member

Davis - 6.5: One great save albeit enhanced for the cameras from Gomez. Couldn't have done much about the goal. In terms of distribution had one of his best games I can remember. Not one stray noticeably stray ball all game.

Clyne - 6: Reads the game very well. Often the first to react to the loose ball. Lots of flair for a defender. Gets forward on the overlap all the time. Perhaps not enough deliveries from deep today though. With Figueroa at wing-back having Guly to worry about, I felt the oppurtunity for deep, early crosses to Rodriguez and Lambert were on all the time from both sides, but he was trying too hard to deliver from the byline instead.

Fox - 6.5: Thought he was one of the better performers. Getting 3 separate knocks in the first 20 minutes seemed to really fire him up. Did anyone else notice how red his face was?! Set pieces were in the right areas consistently, and he retained possession superbly, whether it was a short ball infield or long up to Rickie. Seemed to really want it today after his mistake at City.

Fonte - 5: As a lover of the passing game i've always liked Fonte and constantly backed him towards the back end of last season when others wanted him out. I think people underestimate his role in our home form last season, as a CB in the championship who can consistently and composedly pick passes is a rarity. However, today's performance was definitely concerning. I don't think he is particularly quick, strong or good in the air. Most centre backs at the top level have one or two of these attributes in abundance. I worry that Jose doesn't really have any. Don't know whether their second was a foul or not. Doesn't really matter does it.

Hooiveld - 6: Thought he dealt with Di Santo adequately in the first half before we fell apart. Again, a worrying lack of agility and pace though. Like Jose I think his distribution is a real asset now. Noticeable improvement in his ball-playing ability since he joined. I think if we end up signing one CB as opposed to two, it will be someone to playing alongside Jos rather than Jose.

Guly - 6: At the heart of everything in the first half an hour and then seemed to fade with the rest of the team. Clever knock down to Rodriguez could've led to the opener. In the last 20 he looked worryingly unfit though. The witch-hunt around me was disgusting. Men and woman of all ages lying in wait for any hint of a mistake so they could bawl obscenities in my ear. It culminated in a man who sits behind me and knows the game well having a shouting match with some bint a few rows in front who was screaming at Adkins for bringing Rodriguez off instead of Guly. His 30 yard shot which had Al-Habsi make a great save down to his right being met by a deathly silence from our fans said it all for me.

Schneiderlin - 6: Not a noteworthy performance at all but he looks totally comfortable at this level as we knew he would. Played it simple more than usual rather than attempting his beloved Hollywood passes. I still maintain that given the right run of games he can become our best player before too long.

Davis - 7: His experience is so apparent, I thought he really shone. He doesn't have any weaknesses, a real all-rounder. Felt immensely comfortable with him on the ball. I think Morgan and him can build up a great partnership and despite today's result I expect those two to be the central midfield pairing of choice this season.

Lallana - 7.5: Looked sharp today and would've scored the best goal of his career if it weren't for Al-Habsi. Like Fox, I thought his set pieces were incredibly dangerous bar one corner in the last 10 minutes. He's really mastered that Cruyff turn, such a useful asset which he always uses to great effect. Deservedly captain.

Rodriguez - 5.5: I think he still needs time to gel. I'm not greatly concerned as it's clear that he's technically one of our best players. But hasn't mastered that telepathy and fluidity we've become so accustomed to from all our forward players when attacking.

Lambert - 6.5: Underused today. Had the beating of Caldwell and Alcaraz in the air whenever the service was good enough. I don't like him up-front on his own though. A lone striker should be chasing lost causes and making clever runs in every passage of play. Connolly was particularly superb at that. Although he seemed quiet the crossbar actually denied him two assists today: Lallana's drive and Hooiveld's header.

Adkins - 5: After the tactical masterclass at the Etihad i was really surprised with his decisions today. We got to the Premier League through our home form. And the reason for our home form is that we have nigh on mastered the wide, passing, quick tempoed 4-4-2 formation. I totally understand changing tactics against top Premiership teams, as we're not going to beat them playing our way. But against a lesser side like Wigan at home, I think we have to have the confidence in performing using the system that's got us this far.

12. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Agree with Frank on a number of points especially the Guly/Clyne combination or rather lack of. This could be down to us playing punch and Clyne for most of pre season.
    Guly and Richardson was such a threat last year and created a lot of goals last season yet for some reason both Guly and Clyne did not gel or make the right decisions. Having said that I think we failed to use them in the second half at all. Guly kept the width and had we got the ball to Clyne it could of lead to some 2 on 1 situations. But our defenders seem incapable of spreading the play with speed and purpose.

13. Itchen North Matt

Itchen North Matt Active Member

Davis - 6
    Clyne - 6
    Fonte - 6
    Hooiveld -6
    Fox - 6
    Schneiderlin - 6
    Davis - 6
    Lallana -7
    Guly - 4
    Lambert - 5.5
    Rodriguez 5.5

Adkins - 5

Referee - ****er!

14. Reginald

Reginald Member

I was going to say this as well. Would've preferred Puncheon's PL experience at that point. Guly or Lallana could easily have moved infield to make room for him.

15. saintern

saintern Member

"Fonte didnt do alot wrong at the back"..... I actually massively stuck up for Fonte against the "Fonte out" brigade in pub before the game but he didnt do himself any favours..... I counted 4 launched balls from defence in first half which went straight through to the goal keeper. And dont get me started on 2nd half. It wasnt just a lack of pace for 2nd goal, lack of touch aswell.

And worrying for me as im normally a glass half full man. He was roasted and looked way below the level we expect and more importantly need.

I feel this result may hurry along our "negotiations" for new blood.... I just hope these players we want still want to join us.

COYR, lets stick together. for me Wigan are a nightmare team to play and always sneak horrible results....

16. saintern

saintern Member

Also, people saying "why dont we go back to 442". Well we did that in the 2nd half.... we were awful and couldnt find a pass. The first half we were slightly the better side playing the 4-5-1 system. People banging on about 442, football has changed the last 10 years, even man utd play 4-5-1 to retain better possession of the ball......

17. saintern

saintern Member

What did the ref do wrong ?...... unreal that as if we won, wouldnt be mentioned.

18. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

You didn't see any of the nasty tackles I take it.

19. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree with the ratings you have given. Adkins - 4.5 (cannot bring myself to give a 4 but neither can I give him a 5 either!)

20. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Team gets a pass today. 6's for everyone, 4 for Adkins.

Guly looked bad because he was asked to do too much. Rodriguez looked bad because he was playing out of position. I thought Clyne looked very good in terms of his skill and ability, but he wasn't ultimately very effective.

They lost today because as a unit they weren't sharp and Adkins got his tactics wrong. It's really his fault more than any individual player. Everyone has a bad game now and again, managers are no different. Can't be afraid to make mistakes. Hopefully he learned some things today and we'll be better moving forward.