1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

SAFC spent £630m to Be Relegated Into The 3rd Division

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Build Back Better, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Build Back Better

Build Back Better Active Member

I'm a consultant and risk advisor for a variety of firms, and I managed to get a hold of the annual Deloitte report into football finances and the accompanying Databook that contains all of the English football financial stats from the preceding 5 years, which was produced about a month ago. The Databook normally costs £1000 but I got a copy for nothing due to what I do.

The year book is brought out annually by the Deloitte football unit in Manchester. Deloitte are the biggest accountancy/risk advisory firm in the world.

This year's version shows that in the 5 years leading up to our relegation into the third tier of English football:

- we incurred a debt of just under £126m, and
    - turned over ie spent just under £504m

That's £630m to fall from the PL into the third division in consecutive seasons, ending up where we are now.

Has there ever been a more mismanaged club than SAFC?

Horrendous. A failed football club, led by failed administrators, employing failed managers to buy failed players. Total ****show.

2. FulwellBri

FulwellBri Well-Known Member

The one to commence this financial 5hitshow was the Gaelic glare merchant...Roy run away Keane. He left a massive 60m debt behind when he walked, due to his inability to recognise duds from decent players. Only BSA and Bruce can walk away with any respect ...the rest were awful.

3. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

That is really depressing...can you imagine if we had a someone like a Big Sam at the hem with that kind of money for 5 years...We wouldn't be pissing around in the 3 rd division now for sure

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  4. Toddius

Toddius Active Member

Welp, now I’m really depressed...

5. Danny Foctor

Danny Foctor Active Member

There’s an awful lot of ifs on this thread, life goes on and it’s no use looking back or pretending.

6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

To be fair I doubt we're the only club to have spent a fortune over the years and have nothing to show for it.

clockstander likes this.
  7. Iansun

Iansun Well-Known Member

Any other club who spent that would be at least playing European football, but typical cluster **** Sunderland do the opposite.

8. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

And we got £110m a season thrown at us from SKY etc should have got nissan in as owners gave them half that money, and just think of the sponsership deal we cpould have had AND bossted the car plant massively.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  9. SAFCY

SAFCY Guest

Was that the same Keane that took safc from BOTTOM OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP after being relegated with 15 points, to Champions within 9 months?

LAMackem likes this.
  10. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Some achievement that mind. Blow north of half a billion quid and end up in the 3rd division. Only at SAFC :emoticon-0103-cool::emoticon-0106-cryin