1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rush (Hunt and Lauda film)

Discussion in 'F1 Off Topic' started by TomTom94, Sep 11, 2013.

1. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

It's been mentioned in the Spare Parts thread, I'm sure we saw the interview with Ron Howard on Top Gear, and now it finally comes out on Friday - so I thought I'd start something in case people do want to discuss it. :smiley:

Synopsis (for those of us who weren't alive at the time), courtesy of Wikipedia:
    Here are the facts:
    • Director: Ron Howard (Frost/Nixon, Apollo 13, Arrested Development)
    • Screenplay: Peter Morgan (Frost/Nixon, Skyfall, The Last King of Scotland)
    • Cinematography: Anthony Dod Mantle (Antichrist, Dredd, The Last King of Scotland)
    • Music: Hans Zimmer (Pirates of the Caribbean, The Dark Knight, Inception)
      And stars:
    • Chris Hemsworth (Thor, The Cabin in the Woods, Star Trek)
    • Daniel Brühl (Inglorious Basterds, Goodbye Lenin, The Bourne Ultimatum)
    • Olivia Wilde (In Time, Tron: Legacy)
    • Natalie Dormer (Captain America: The First Avenger, Game of Thrones)

And for good measure, take a trailer:

[video=youtube;QKAr42gxjhM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKAr42gxjhM[/video]

Looks really good from the footage that's been shown, particularly the racing, which has famously been difficult to capture on film (the less said about Sylvester Stallone's started-as-a-film-about-F1 'Driven' the better). Add to that the fact that Chris Hemsworth, although not exactly an A-lister, is perfect casting for James Hunt and Daniel Brühl has a great track record, combined with what looks like a good combination of director/writer/cinematographer (although they have not all worked together at the same time, they have collaborated in pairs on some great films), this looks like a must-see film for F1 fans.

My hope is that it shows both sides of the rivalry, and all sides of Hunt's personality; given that it's two hours long, they've got plenty of time. The only thing that worries me is the somewhat generic poster, I hope that it isn't just the battle of the heroic playboy Hunt against the boring German Lauda. That said, I know you can never trust a trailer so I'm confident.

Rotten Tomatoes currently gives it a 100% approval rating (based on 20 reviews), with an average rating of 8.1 - looks like it's going to be a good one guys. <diva>

2. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Ive been boycotting the cinema over their ticket prices so I may have to wait till a dvd release.... I may crack though.

Ive read somewhere the hero of the story is actually Lauda.

3. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

I used to do the same, until I found out the local mulitplex does a "three pound Tuesday's" offer, so I'll try to make it over there next week!

4. StoneRosesRam

StoneRosesRam Member

Lauda's story is much more interesting so hope there's a focus on that more than Hunt, nether less it all looks like it could be quite good.

5. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Well-Known Member

I've been avoiding all trailers and spoilers for months now, it actually airs here tomorrow so very excited :D

6. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

Hunt was a great guy and lived his life in a way that was likely to end in a premature death which unfortunately it did, Lauda however approached his life in a more focussed and single minded way, I met Lauda accidentally in 75 by standing on his foot whilst we were both trying to get through a narrow gap in the Silverstone pit fence, he made it clear he thought he had the right of way, however I was bigger than him, so I won.

As to who was the hero or the better man, I'm not sure, both Hunt and Lauda had, have, unique personalities so are equal in my eyes, one thing I am sure off is, Hunt would never have been a WDC if Lauda had not crashed and been so seriously injured.

7. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

They should make a film... Ernie vs Lauda! A gap so small.... Only one man can win

8. ErnieBecclestone

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

9. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

went to see it the other day, I enjoyed it except it needed more racing

SPOILER ALERT
    [nsfw]Hunt wins the title at the end after a mix up makes it look like he didn't do enough, oh the twist and suspense[/nsfw]

10. ErnieBecclestone

Yea, thats the problem with entertaining the masses aint it, they are not interested in purely facts/truth, they want 'drama'

11. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

That's where the Senna film failed on a level for the purist. A great watch for nostalgia purposes, but there was so much more to what went on that they conveniently left out.