1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rules/Guidelines

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by ToonSi, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToonSi

ToonSi Active Member

I was going to suggest this on the new moderator thread, but thought this may be better being its own thread.
    Again instead of getting more moderators, why not post a rules & guidelines up and have that as the only other sticky?
    Doesn't have to be a long list, but can include everything from the NSFW tags to multiple accounts and general spamming of the boards.
    That way new users are warned of the limited rules/guidelines that are in place so won't feel to be a dick and won't need to be warned as they go along.
    It can also include advice telling the newbies to go on that new user thread with a link to avoid any new user threads and to use the thread directory as well.
    Just I think any of the newbies may not know to use that first and foremost.

Also if the certain 000 celebratory threads are bothering anybody, we could also create a landmark thread and shove that in the thread directory.

Any other ideas or thoughts welcome :) :1980_boogie_down:

2. Gutierrez's Right Boot

Gutierrez's Right Boot Well-Known Member

3. Tiggyrimana

Tiggyrimana Active Member

Good idea!
    It would need to be stickied too

4. Badgers Assemble

Badgers Assemble Well-Known Member

ToonSi for president!

5. Tiggyrimana

ToonSi for chairman of FC United of Newcastle!

6. tommytoonAA

tommytoonAA Active Member

Meh no-one's actually made any suggestions yet so here goes (although by the time I'm done writing this they probably will have all been said already!):

First and foremost, anyone looking to make a new thread please, please, PLEASE scan at least the first couple of pages to see if it's been written about before! If it has and you've got something new to add then add it as a comment to that thread... there's no need for a new Gameiro/Gervinho/*insert random transfer target here* thread every time there's a new tweet about it. That way the good threads with a proper discussion going don't sink down to the 3rd or 4th page.

Secondly, let's try and keep threads on topic? The Shearer's e-bar is a perfect thread for random chat and that's what it's there for! I know there are plenty of people here who see a thread and want to read about that topic, not about a completely different topic. Obviously derailments will happen (Leazes chopping off his manhood for example!) but if we could keep these to a minimum and ensure the thread doesn't spiral out of control it would be really useful for those of us at work who just want to have a quick look at what's going on.

Lastly, for now, labelling any dodgy threads with "NSFW" is very important :) There haven't been issues lately, though, which is great :)

Just my 2cents!

EDIT: Would be good if this could be stickied so anyone joining will know to look at it.... and maybe change the title so it stands out a bit more? Something like:

****Official Forum Rules/Guidelines Thread**** New Members Please Read Before Posting

Again, just an idea

7. Tiggyrimana

<applause>
    Pretty much sums up everything

8. I want curly hair too

I want curly hair too Active Member

I agree with the first bit, people should check around before we get 30 'Gervinho (not) signing' threads in the next few days..
    I think you should be allowed some off topic threads though, especially in the summer. The iTunes playlist exchange and sick joke thread etc. are pretty good, but if it's something that isn't worth putting in a new thread (e.g. a funny youtube video or something) then yeah stick it in Shearer's eBar <cheers>
    And yeah, put NSFW in dodgy threads<ok>

9. ToonSi

ToonSi Active Member

They're definitely great mate and what I was thinking when starting the thread <cheers>!
    Regarding off-topic, I think some should be allowed, but common sense should definitely be applied in that not going over-board like some posters have in the past, just like the gaming thread or the music one are perfectly fine, but more randoms ones are not.

10. tommytoonAA

Oh yeah, I completely agree about off topic threads being OK, hence why I said keep threads on topic... not that every thread on the board should be about NUFC explicitly. Probably could have worded my original post better <ok>

11. I want curly hair too

I want curly hair too Active Member

No, you were right mate I re-read yours and you've pretty much said it haha

12. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Maybe another one is that people should comment AFTER reading and understanding - I have had 2 neg reps (from people with rep) thanks to Tiote's posts being removed and it looking like I started a certain thread.

13. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

When it comes to forum rules, they have to be quite factual and only really used to maintain discipline. What they shouldn't be used for is to order members how to post or how to use the forum or how to read it. I've moderated on a few forums where that happens and it never works.

Rules

• No racism
    • Every thread containing offensive content should have a clearly marked [NSFW] at the front of the thread title
    • Offensive material in avatars, signatures and posts which are not in a thread marked NSFW are prohibited. This includes any sexual or explicit images.
    • Persistent intentional forum disruption is not allowed and will result in a warning or ban - at the moderators' discretion
    • Creating multiple accounts is not allowed and will result in a warning or ban - at the moderators' discretion
    • Ensure any links to external websites are safe, free from viruses and contain a [NSFW] warning if required
    Guidelines

• Please look through the forum before posting a thread to avoid creating duplicate topics
    • If you would like to speak directly to a member of the forum, please use the private message feature instead of starting a thread
    • Try to only start threads if you feel that they can create a point of discussion or debate
    • Posts which add to an existing discussion or debate are encouraged

There's mine.

14. overseasTOON

overseasTOON Active Member

Missed one:

• Wave to Tash

15. tommytoonAA

Spot on. Can't think of anything more to add to that! Pretty sure this post needs to be stickied so it's in full view?

16. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

If its not the OP, can anyone add NSFW to the title?

17. Jonnyaiston

Jonnyaiston Well-Known Member

THIS!

Or at least use the damn search option, quicker then scanning through the first few pages. I searched Owen earlier, to put the Llambias article on and there must of been a good 10-15 different articles about him.

18. tommytoonAA

I think only mods or the OP can change the thread title but hopefully someone can clarify that who knows for sure....

19. Sanchin0

Sanchin0 Active Member

<ok>

20. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

If this is the case then if an article does nto have NSFW on there then no-one should post anything NSFW without contacting a MOD or the OP first to add this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.