1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Romelu Lukaku - great read

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by NickH, Jun 18, 2018.

1. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/e...itter&utm_campaign=worldcup18&utm_term=Lukaku

Came across this article written by Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku. It's a great insight into the hardships he's endured and his motivation to reach the top. There's a common view that elite footballers are pampered, unintelligent babies who have had everything handed to them on a plate, so it's nice to get an insight such as this. Fair play to him.

2. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Very interesting read, thanks Nick
    Another one that made it through hard work and determination despite the depravation he came from at times.
    Good on him !

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    NickH likes this.
  3. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Thanks Nick , good read , seems like a very genuine guy and very deserving.

Still a rediculous amount of money for kicking a bag of wind about.

I realise they are entertainers , but really , thousands of £’s a week is out of control.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

When you get to the mega earners like Messi and Ronaldo you're probably talking thousands of pounds a day....that puts it in even greater perspective

5. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

It is, but without wanting to get too political or grandiose, that's as a result of the Capitalist World we live in. It's down to football's popularity coupled with supply and demand. Yes, the top players will negotiate the best contracts they can, but the scale of what they can get is something almost entirely out of their control.

Some people will say 'it's a disgrace how a footballer gets so much money, but nurses/doctors/soldiers/whoever gets so little', but those same people wouldn't likely agree to give up football and pay more in Tax or National Insurance, so how would this moral imbalance supposedly be addressed?

Not trying to get all preachy, just saying how it is and that it's a result of the system. There's the argument of bringing in wage caps, but I just don't see how it could be legally implemented and clubs would always find some way to get around it.

6. AshtonRed

Easy , do away with Parachute payments , premier league teams that gamble and get relegated would go to the wall potentially, would make them think twice about doing it , at present they know they can gamble and have a safety net , would also make the championship fairer.

7. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I think you're very much mistaken if you think removing parachute payments would result in players like Romelu Lukaku being paid less!

8. AshtonRed

Not him particularly , but players in general yes I think it would. , like I said if teams didn’t have the safety net like now they’d have to think twice about the risks involved .

9. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Maybe a small impact, but probably more likely that clauses would be inserted into contracts (which a lot already are) in that eventuality.

It's like an arms race, so if you offer lower wages out of the fear of what it means if you got relegated, but your rivals offer more and take on that risk, it makes it much more likely that you will get relegated, because you were more conservative (some on here might say 'lacking ambition'!).

10. AshtonRed

Someone has to be relegated though and it won’t necessary be the one who’d been more conservative, it will only take one to get into deep trouble ie go into administration . .

If this is not the case then why else have parachute payments in the first place , that was the reason they were started .,

11. AshtonRed

I don’t know how old you are Nick , we are a perfect example , i’m Unfortunately old enough to remember when it almost happened to us , relegated with long contracts we were unable to honour , but for the Ashton Gate 8 ripping up their contracts we would have folded , so it can happen.

12. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying that clubs continue to roll the dice. Sunderland didn't hold back on spending and look at them now. What I'm arguing is your assertion that removing parachute payments would be an 'easy' (direct quote) method of reducing top players' exorbitant wages. I think as long as the money going into football increases, so will players' salaries and to stem that is close to impossible.

13. AshtonRed

I agree maybe a bit simplistic, alone it wouldn’t be the complete answer , but would be a good starting point .

You quote Sunderland as an example , however if parachute payments weren’t in place it’s quite likely they’d now be in administration , so yes it has saved them.