1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rivalries

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Chappaz, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

In almost every aspect of human life, the closer or more intertwined two things are, the more they get along, and the more the relations are positive.

However, a noticeable exception in this is sports. Here and across the world, when two sports teams are in close proximity, the natural behaviour is to become competitive and develop a rivalry, often turning into a deep dislike or even raw hatred.

Why do you guys think that is? Do you think it's simply down to the natural behaviour of the human mind?

What's also interesting to note is that many years ago, Newcastle and Sunderland fans got along very well, often attending each others games. Now you wouldn't hear of that anywhere these days, so what do you think has changed?

2. Hereward of Bourne

Hereward of Bourne Well-Known Member

Considering Galatasaray fans bring battons and tear gas or even knives to derby matches I think we are pretty well behaved lol

3. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

The race to win something?

4. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Ours is a bit deeper than that, without going into the whole Sunderland/Newcastle divide..

I think the fact that we are in one of the poorest regions, historically and currently, in the land, means we have a higher proportion of fans and families to which football is life, maybe as an escape from reality for a few hours a week.

Perversly, given the 'build you up, knock you down' nature of the 2 clubs, does this make us a region of sado-masochists??

You will find even the most die hard Mag or Black Cat will have people from both side of the divide that they count as family or friends, which makes a mockery of the whole 'we hate them' bollocks.

I count a father, a missus, and probably 60% of my best and closest friends as Mags.

Being a Mackem, and therefore better looking, better dressed and more affluent than a high percentage of my friends (The Mags..), gives me the lift I need every day to stay happy, cool & confident.

I personally seem to feel the rivalry ramped up around the time of the glorious, G-Force inspired 1990 demolition in the play-offs at St James, but it could just be that I was getting to the age when I begun to understand football, and the depth of feeling for it.

I've added a clip, just because it felt like an opportunity, note the immaculate behaviour of the knuckle dragging soap dodgers around the 86minute mark....

[video=youtube;6vkTXwO98sc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vkTXwO98sc[/video]

5. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I don't think there is much hatred to be honest. As someone has noted, although high on passion, our derby is pretty low on hatred. Its just natural human competitiveness which develops rivalry in sport. Its like sports day as a kid. Your best mate runs 11 seconds dead for the 100m, you don't go "oh well done old chap what a fabulous runner you are" you think "right, I can better that" As for the change in attitudes towards each other football wise, its all gone that way in the game. Look at how much of our board gets to devoted to anti Liverpool threads these days. Probably mainly due to some misplaced bitterness because they bought a couple of players and well, er, funded le revolution! You would struggle to find a closer set of two groups of supporters back in the 80's and 90's/. Football changes quickly, as do fans attitudes.

The key thing to remember is we need them to remind ourselves how we've not got it so bad, they need us to have something to make the chip on their shoulder fit well! :biggrin:

6. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I do like chips mind.

7. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Had them for lunch today. So much for the diet eh......

8. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Cheesy?

9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Likewise ;)

Absolutely mate!

10. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

Sunderland fans have become increasingly more intelligent, better looking, more advanced in every way than Newcastle fans and Newcastle fans are bitter and twisted because of it.

Well that's my theory and I think that apart from the football team at present its a theory that stands up to close inspection.

11. HoratioCarter

HoratioCarter Well-Known Member

When I first went to matches there was no segregation, plenty friendly banter but not the hatred or violence. Each set of fans appreciated good play by the other team. It all changed around the seventies when the violence began. I'd still prefer to go to a match without segregation and knowing there'd no violence (well I can dream)

12. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

I used to stand at Roker Park with a mix and argue with Newcastle fans from start to finish, full time it was shake hands, well done, see you next time and we were all the better for it.

13. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

My first derby game was in the 1960's and there was absolute hell on!

14. Hereward of Bourne

Hereward of Bourne Well-Known Member

Your old enough to be my granddad <laugh>

15. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I can't stand Liverpool fans, or to a lesser extent City fans, but I only speak of my dislike towards them as a group, not as individuals.

I can go on holiday and befriend a bindipper for the 14 days no problem at all, I wouldn't automatically glass the scruffy loser just because he thinks his team are great.

I'd quite happily be sat between a scouser and a city fan whilst I watch Rooney & Co take the French apart, it's not rocket science.

When people hate entire fan bases on an individual level then they are tapped in the head.

16. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

guys like 5 tits to1, the badger, Hurrican arshole, and all the rest of the ilk who incessantly preach crap here

17. billofengland

billofengland Well-Known Member

Isnt this vertually the same thread as last weeks, only the wording changed?

18. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

SPOT ON Syd

19. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Excellent post Terry, you been drinking?

20. MackemsRule

MackemsRule Well-Known Member

Another load of ****e from Chappedarse!!!!

I have always hated Newcastle, and had stand up fights with the scum since I was 14 way back in 1969.

The only time I have any interest in those deluded ****ers and their **** club is when we are playing them.
    The rest of the season I couldn't care less.