1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

RIP Gregg Allman

Discussion in 'Watford' started by colognehornet, May 28, 2017.

1. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Rest in peace Gregg, I hope that brother Duane is waiting for you. Another piece of my youth gone - spent so many happy hours listening to you, and the Allman Brothers Band. One of the greatest. <rose>

kchorn and brian_66_usa like this.
  2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

3. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Like a lot of people, I'll only have heard of them from "Jessica", the Top Gear theme. I'll look on YouTube later for any more of their work.

4. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Classic band of the era.....

5. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Gregg was a very underrated musician and vocalist, especially being in a band that featured probably 2 of the finest guitarists the world has ever heard. But he was also a bit of a knob and like many of his generation in that industry fell foul to drink and drugs. But he has left behind a wealth of wonderful music if your taste is for Southern Blues/Rock music. Some listening suggestions:-
    Whipping Post (listen to the live version from the Fillmore East album) - Gregg vocals are just wonderful
    Mountain Jam (again the live version recorded at Fillmore East but on Eat a Peach) - no vocals on this but listen in places to Gregg on the Hammond Organ, just brilliant. Beware it's over 30 minutes long.

Not many are aware, but his brother Duane, who died in a motorcycle crash in Macon Georgia in 1971, played lead and slide guitar alongside Clapton on his Layla album. Duane Allman wrote the title tracks most famous riff.

RIP Gregg - back together with Duane and Berry.

6. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

They had an endless stream of great guitar players W_Y. Beginning with Duane, then later Dickey Betts and then Derek Trucks - Warren Haynes was also a great singer as well. I saw Dickey Betts and Great Southern at the Hamburg blues festival years later (Maggie Bell was there as well, which made my day). A whole era is passing before our eyes - very little around of the same calibre nowadays. As to drugs and drink - it was a regrettable part of life for many musicians in the 70s as was sacrificing any real family life. His son Devon Allman is also a very good guitarist, and had played with the band on several occasions.

Last edited: May 31, 2017