1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread RETRO: Portsmouth v Southampton FA Cup 4th Rd 28/1/84 3pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintlyhero, Mar 11, 2017.

1. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Welcome to the first and potentially last ever Retro match day thread. A rare weekend off for Saints has seen boredom sweep this forum. I enjoyed reading stories and memories of our previous cup finals and hope we could recreate similar based on a classic match of yore.
    The plan is for us to kayfabe and have little fun with match predictions and team selection to the build up of the match and then I will post extended highlights of this game tomorrow afternoon.

but hey, this is the internet so whatever works out. If any of you went to the game or even decided against going for safety reasons then please share your memories. Plus any fashions or non footballing stories from that era. Our Pompey friends are of course welcome to share their perspective of this game.

c51d7a2a0f33b9e00c48b082c1384cf5.jpg Vs southampton-fc-old-3.png

FA Cup 4th Round - 28th January 1984 - KO 3pm

Well it's been a couple of weeks since the draw and the match is finally here. Fratton Park is expected to be rammed and the home fans are promising an intimidating atmosphere for our boys.
    This is the first time we've faced each other since 1976, when we sent them down to the third division :emoticon-0136-giggl and the first FA Cup meeting in 78 years! Godders might have memories of that 5-1 win in 1906.

Portsmouth have since returned to the mid-table of the 2nd division and have some decent young players.
    Expected line up:
    Knight, McLaughlin, Sullivan, Doyle, Tait, Aizlewood, Webb, Dillon, Hateley, Biley, Rogers

Saints are sweating on the fitness of captain Steve Williams who has missed the last two games through injury, but Lawrie was hopeful he would return following our run of two defeats.

Expected line up;
    Shilton, Mills, Dennis, Williams, Agboola, Wright, Holmes, Moran, Worthington, Armstrong, Wallace

Form Guide

Super Saints LLWDDW
    Poor Pompey DDWLLD

Portsmouths only recent win was in the last round against Grimsby, by 2-1.
    Saints have not won since the last round victory over Nottingham Forest, coincidentally by 2-1 too. It's been two defeats on the trot in the league and even Super Steve Moran failed to find the net last week in the 1-0 defeat to Forest.

Super Steve Moran has scored 7 goals in the last 5 games and a brace in three matches and i predict him to do the biz in this one.
    Surely our first division quality will overcome the home teams expected intimidation tactics!

Prediction - Portsmouth 1 v Super Steve Moran 2 <party>

2. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

3. Libby

Libby 9-0

I predict 1-0 and we'll go on to reach the semis

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  4. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Let's not go there!

Libby likes this.
  5. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

I didn't go as I was about two months off being born. I know I'm a plastic.

6. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Please don't play Steve Williams in the semi.....Oh.

fatletiss likes this.
  7. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

And to think in the 4th round Everton need 2 replays to beat Gillingham.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  8. saintlyhero

Match Day lol

Part 1

Part 2

Obviously the video quality is not great for the era, but this is well worth a watch. So much incident in this game.
    We all know that in the 60s the rivalry was pretty much non existent, but its reached fever pitch in the terraces

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  9. tiggermaster

tiggermaster Well-Known Member

We were there. Front row of the North Stand where all those standing beneath us were Pompey. To say the dialogue between was choice would to under estimate the level of vitriol that spewed forth. A lasting memory being some trying to spit at us even though it wouldn't reach and would by the laws of gravity be a case of getting their own back.. Needless to say we found ways of encouraging this behaviour. A lunchtime of drinking in the St James's hospital staff club pre match, where I had friends provided both cheap beer and safe parking. I could talk football, but you all know the story... Moran was clinical, Biley wasn't.. is my memory..

saintlyhero and Libby like this.
  10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

My favourite Saints game!!!!!

11. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

This is the ITV4 of threads.

Just one big repeat, with a worn VHS picture quality<laugh>

12. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I predict that Skates will bitch and moan about this game for over thirty years....<bubbly>

13. Tottonsaint

Tottonsaint Well-Known Member

The walk to and from the train station was fun. <laugh>

Libby likes this.
  14. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

My funniest memory was a group of us got to the corner of the Milton Road stand and a single skinny spotty little Skate in a bright pink Pringle started jumping up and down in front of us shouting " come on Sarfampton!" in an Alan Ball voice. we just looked at each other and burst out laughing. I guess he is still peddling the story about how he took on a mob of "Scummers"...:emoticon-0102-bigsm

saintlyhero and Libby like this.
  15. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

My Year head was a Pompey fan and I stuffed a note in his pigeon hole (ooer Mrs) on the day of the draw, signing it off "Ardent Saints fan." He responded in assembly having written a fantastic poem.

I'll see if I can find it.

I remember the start:

"The radio blurts out the news
    The finest cup tie one could choose
    Ardent Saints fan screams, "Oh heck"
    As halo slips and strangles neck..."

16. saintlyhero

In part one you see Mark Dennis getting hit in the back of the head with a coin.
    At first it looks like he gets tangled in toilet roll and trips himself up.
    Portsmouth supporters also threw bananas towards Agboola and Wallace. This all prompted this classic post match quote from Lawrie.

"We've got a good result, £4.50 in small change and 2lb of bananas"

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  17. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Got hit by a few 2p coins, myself. Tight bastards couldn't throw 50p coins.
    My brother, at the time, was manager of the Portsmouth Sainsbury's, and went into work, the following Monday, wearing his Saints scarf, which he wore whilst doing his pre-opening check around the store.
    As he walked away from the fruit and veg department, a bunch of bananas was launched at him. <laugh>
    The fans aim was as bad as Alan Biley's aim had been, on match day, missing the target, when he should have done better.

Good fun at the time, but as FLT has said, this derby is vile and, for me, the fewer we have the better.

saintlyhero likes this.
  18. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I wore my Saints scarf to work after a win v Portsmouth and the manager (a Pompey fan) playfully grabbed it and pretended to strangle me. The assistant manager actually yelled thinking he meant it. There's rivalry and rivalry, but killing a member of staff might be a bit excessive. :)

19. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I was there with my Pompey mates............When Saints scored I took my coat off to reveal my Saints shirt, and yes I was shouting & jumping up and down in the Pompey end. Luckily there were enough Pompey fans around us that knew our groups history with the two clubs. A few Pompey fans took exception and tried to get at me to fight. The Pompey fans around me got hold of the three lads trying to scrap, chucked them over the little wall into the hands of the stewards and they were thrown out. All in the name of a dare..........<laugh>

saintlyhero likes this.