1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Relegation--- or survival ?

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Feb 12, 2021.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Points to safety ?
    As it's a bit quiet, I was looking at what the end of season might have in store for the league position.
    Gills are 16th and have 34 points with 20 games to go. Normally about 50 points is usually good enough to avoid relegation ........ don't kid yourself - we're not getting anywhere near the play-offs....
    ..So - where are the points coming from in the remaining games ? Here's my thoughts - and it might be interesting to see what others think ( you don't all have to agree with me. )

Away v Charlton = 0 points. ....... Home v Peterborough = 1 point........ Home v Bristol Rovers = 3 points..... Away v AFC Wimbledon = 1 point..... Away v Portsmouth = 0 points.... Home v MK Dons = 3 points..... Home v Ipswich = 0 points...... Away v Fleetwood = 0 points..... Away v Swindon = 0 points...... Away v Lincoln = 0 points.... Home v Doncaster = 0 or 1 point.... Away v Hull = 0 points..... Home v Wigan = 3 points......Away v Blackpool = 1 point...... Home v Shrewsbury = 3 points.... Away v Oxford = 0 points.... Away v Peterborough = 0 points... Home v Northampton = 3 points....Away v Burton = 1 point.... Home v Plymouth = 1 or 3 points.

I believe that we will struggle in most of the AWAY games , and be lucky to get more than a couple of points. and I don't actually see us winning again, on our travels, until next season ! ( oh, I'd love to be wrong. ) At the same time, I don't think we'll need to HAVE to win our last game to guarantee another season in League 1...
    So, I make it that we'll end up with 20 and 23 more points, with a total of 54-57 points. I appreciate this doesn't seem very ambitious - but - with all things considered, I think that the figure is fairly realistic and acceptable.

2. brb

brb CR250

The 54-57 that you have highlighted will be more than enough to avoid relegation I suspect. It's not even been a concern this season, which makes a change. I still think Evans should be pushing for play-offs, he's over achieved already for me, so now needs to aim higher, than a midtable position. Even more so with the new boys he has brought/bought in.

3. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

He has over achieved already but should be aiming for play offs :emoticon-0138-think