1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Released players....

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by stretchyboy, May 20, 2019.

1. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

So, the list has finally be released, and i have to admit, one or two that i didn't expect..

Gerken
    Spence
    Adeyami
    Ward
    Collins
    Dawkins
    Knudsen

As well as youngsters McKendry & Chris Smith

Very surprised with Ward, and kinda feels wrong that we're not supporting him in his recovery (maybe we are financially?) - wasn't his greatest fan, but is better than L1 for sure. I'm guessing he was quite a high earner.

Adeyami, it's a shame, as on his day and fully fit would've been an excellent player in this league. But, i'm sure there's too many ifs and buts with him.

Onwards and upwards

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Releasing Gerken, Ward, Knudsen and Adeyami is stupid but that's where we are as a club. Glad to finally see the back of Spence, Dawkins is probably better off out of it and Collins really ought to retire.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  3. stretchyboy

I think what is the biggest surprise, is that we're keeping hold of Roberts (unless we have plans to sell and get some cash back).
    I also thought that Nydam, Rowe and Ben Morris would've been released too

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Roberts' deal is two years so he is still under contract for another year, otherwise I'm sure he'd have been released. Rowe I'm not sure of his contract but we would be barking mad to release and I'm sure he has at least another year left. Nydam still has two more years on his contract. Ben Morris has at least until 2021 as well.

On Ward... the club site says the club will oversee his recovery but how much support he would get, I would be sceptical, and I doubt it is financial. There was an opportunity to get some togetherness and feel good factor in the squad missed and the potential of having a dangerous attacking player working their socks off in the second half of the season. I'm sure he would have taken a wage cut under the circumstances.

5. stretchyboy

Yeah, i suppose seeing as they are still in contract, there's still the possibility of a number of them moving on, with a a transfer fee.
    I'd be surprised if at least three more don't leave, with Bart being the obvious one.
    I also have a feeling that Lincoln will try to sign Rowe permanently, and also Roberts will surely go

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I can't see Lincoln paying a fee and the kind of wages Rowe will be on and I can't imagine Evans paying off their contracts like we did with Ben Thatcher so they will probably be involved or go out on loan to recoup some of the money while the contracts run down.

7. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with released list, wouldn't have kept one of them!!

8. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I don't think there can be many complaints regarding the release list. Arguably would have kept Ward on for a year and supported his rehabilitation from injury, similar to what we did with Luke Varney, but I guess we aren't in the financial position to do this now.

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Knudsen has obviously been coming, albeit a waste. Gerks leaving signifies that we are preparing for life in League One rather than just a season in League One.

10. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Gerken is leaving because he has asked to move on, nothing more than that to read into this.

fieldmarshall and Nuggets like this.

11. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Can't argue with the list, Gerken very average, Ward overrated waste of money, Adeyemi never plays, Collins immense when fit but injury prone, Knudsen get lost, Dawkins useless, and Spence rubbish.

Buckyohare and San Diego like this.
  12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Making players feel valued is part of the issue. Cannot imagine any Ipswich Town footballer running through brick walls for the manager or the owner. Allowing contracts to run down has been a part of that problem for years.

I’m sure if he was really involved and wanted for a promotion push he would have stayed on.

13. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Depending on his wage demands, I would have kept Collins - perhaps in a player coach role like Mowbray.

Buckyohare likes this.