1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Red and White Stripes? WHO was the first TEAM to wear them?

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by Pottermouth 328, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Pottermouth 328

Pottermouth 328 Well-Known Member

Since we can no longer do a "Cross thread" I will post this onto the Sunderland board later, IF It's O.K. with Syd and the ONE thing I don't want to happen is for this to be one big argument between two sets of fans who I hold in high regard... so go easy please guys!

What makes me ask is that..
    My Great Grandfather played for Stoke City as Goalkeeper on 2 seperate occations.. the last period was 1904-1906.
    I've checked on the wikipedia site and he is listed there as John Dutton Benton. BUT alongside that is a strip of a reddish shirt white shorts and red socks?
    NOW I do know that along with Nott's County we are the founder members of the football League, County being the oldest I think? by a few months.

So, does anyone know IF and WHEN we played regulaly in the famous red n white? The photo of my G Grandfather shows a strip which? May have been just a keepers jersey/shirt/top.. I did find one link but it seem's that we formed a decade or more before Sunderland. But, after doing some researh I found that.

The Stoke player's had to buy their own kit/boots etc and these didn't always match up.. <yikes> Must have been a tought time to be a ref.
    He also doubled as " First team trainer at Stoke before retiring" I think in 2010.

One game that stood out was season.. 1904/05 He played on Boxing Day vs Liverpool at the Old Victoria Ground and we won 2-1. And, I'm almost sure this was the ONLY goal he conceded. He did only play 9 times for the Club who, at the time we're not known as the Potter's.

.......................................................................................

Anyone who does have any information, I would really appreciate.

Any Mackem's feel free to contribute, YOU will know more about Sunderland that I ever will. If at all possible let's keep this friendly please. Thanks in advance Pott's

2. ...And Out Come the Wolve

We wore red and white like Blackburn before this, but first had stripes in 1887.

3. ...And Out Come the Wolve

You lot had them in 1883.

4. ...And Out Come the Wolve

Sheff Utd were after us.

5. Pottermouth 328

M O N
    <ok> Much appreciated

6. ...And Out Come the Wolve

Soton 1896 before the stripe.

7. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

Just wait until our resident Mr Stats Steve sees this.

8. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

It is hard to say.

Stoke played in hoops 1st, which were called stripes in those days.
    Vertical stripes did not come into existence till 1883.
    in 1890 Wolves played Sunderland both in red and white stripes, this made them rethink the rules and stipulate that only 1 team could wear a particular strip, we stuck with red and white, wolves went with Orange.
    Stoke were waiting to see what Burnley would be going with as they were going to take on Notts Counties strip of Black and White, but county decided not to get rid of it.

please log in to view this image

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Articles/History.htm

and then various wiki articles from each club.

9. Pottermouth 328

Syd point taken <laugh>
    I've just realised that my famous decendant lived a longer life than even I thought he did.. typo He of course ritired in 1910 <doh>

Thank you all, for the imput so far!

10. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

It's nice to see some reasoned debate between the two sets of fans..I'm sorry that I don't have anything to add to it because I don't honestly know..