1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Reading midfielder Jay Tabb says Royal will be underdogs

Discussion in 'Reading' started by Not606 News Team, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

Reading midfielder Jay Tabb says the club will be underdogs next season despite only just missing out on promotion to the Premier League last-term, reports the Reading Evening Post.

Although the Royals were within touching distance of top-flight football, Tabb reckons they will be back down the pecking order come the start of the new season because of the quality of the teams relegated from the Premier League.

He said: “The pressure will be off us next season.

“There are some big clubs coming down and a couple of sides have changed their managers and will be expecting to do well, but we are confident of being at the top.

“We didn’t have a bad run throughout last season.

“Before Christmas we were winning a few and drawing a few. The cup run then really kicked us on and we won eight in a row.

“We were thinking about possibly getting second, but that was too much to ask.

“We were all gutted about the play-off defeat, but we had a great a season and achieved more than most teams did.”

Tabb had a less satisfying campaign from a personal point-of-view. He was restricted to just 15 league games as he found himself behind preferred midfield duo Mikele Leigertwood and Jem Karacan kept him on the sidelines.

He continued: “The start of the season wasn’t ideal.

“I got injured and was out for nine weeks and then came back in for a couple of games. Leigertwood then joined and I thought he was player of the season.

“Jem did well and although I would have preferred to have been playing more often I understood why.

“I’m not a match-winner and play a steady sort of game so I wasn’t used as a sub much and had to sit and be patient.”

Tabb maintains he is happy to stay at the club and bide his time for a chance in the side.

2. Tilehurstsouthbank

That's been our role as a club for as long as I can remember tbh.

3. w12diamondgeezer

Gorkks a great player to have in your side, he played a big part in our 25 clean sheets last season and not forgeting when we signed him from blackpool he was their player of the season, yes you have a bargain